Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

On 7/29/2022 at 4:56 PM, BFG said:

IJS...I wouldn't mind being the overlooked generation just once haha

It's kind of nice, but it took work to get here. When the Boomers tried to pick on us, they quickly learned we didn't care. Also, the whole "negative" term calling us Gen X, we took that as a badge of honor and took that weapon away from them. 

I'm almost convinced that the Pilot deliberately tries to get projects in this area cancelled by continuously posting negative articles about them. Time and time again, anytime something major comes along, the pilot posts something negative to try to gen up controversy. It's a very clear pattern. So you mean to tell me that we've been talking about this project for almost 15 years and, now that construction is about to begin, suddenly noise is going to be an issue? At the oceanfront? There's always noise at the oceanfront, it's a tourist destination. This isn't pungo. <_<

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/vp-nw-atlantic-park-noise-0802-20220802-3qzuzcguojcp7jx3upma572uo4-story.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

I'm almost convinced that the Pilot deliberately tries to get projects in this area cancelled by continuously posting negative articles about them. Time and time again, anytime something major comes along, the pilot post something negative to try to gen up controversy. It's a very clear pattern. So you mean to tell me that we've been talking about this project for almost 15 years and, now that construction is about to begin, suddenly noise is going to be an issue? At the oceanfront? There's always noise at the oceanfront, it's a tourist destination. This isn't pungo. <_<

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/vp-nw-atlantic-park-noise-0802-20220802-3qzuzcguojcp7jx3upma572uo4-story.html

To be fair their target demographic is people who are almost dead enough to still the the newspaper….

• Haha 2

People who live near the Oceanfront hate a new project. Great...file this right next to the arena from a few years ago and the Taco Bell off Pacific Ave. 

I wonder if they see the name "Pharrell" and automatically assume only hip hop or R&B acts are gonna play at this venue?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Look like there's been some thawing of the ice, though I'm sure the multiple complaints about something in the water not being the same in DC has a lot to do with it, this is a good first step. That festival was literally tailor-made for VB, and it would be good to have it back when the park opens.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/pharrell-meets-with-virginia-beach-leaders-for-the-first-time-after-moving-something-in-the-water-festival/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-surf-park-financing-0921-20220921-t4vssxuosnebbdlvdn7wwcqpwm-story.html

“The developer of the mixed-use Atlantic Park project set to break ground this fall on the former dome site hasn’t been able to obtain traditional financing for its proposed surf park and is concerned it may threaten the success of the rest of the project, according to a Virginia Beach Development Authority document.”

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, varider said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-surf-park-financing-0921-20220921-t4vssxuosnebbdlvdn7wwcqpwm-story.html

“The developer of the mixed-use Atlantic Park project set to break ground this fall on the former dome site hasn’t been able to obtain traditional financing for its proposed surf park and is concerned it may threaten the success of the rest of the project, according to a Virginia Beach Development Authority document.”

Unbelievable. 

That’s a lie. This is totally believable. Are we sure that parking lot isn’t an old burial ground? It seems pretty cursed when it comes to potential projects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Unbelievable. 

That’s a lie. This is totally believable. Are we sure that parking lot isn’t an old burial ground? It seems pretty cursed when it comes to potential projects. 

As I understand it, the admittidely sparse details seem to indicate that only the surf park (for now) is effected and the rest of the project is moving forward. I have trouble understanding how it's difficult to finance a Surf Park in Virginia Beach of all places. Like, how is this even an issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

As I understand it, the admittidely sparse details seem to indicate that only the surf park (for now) is effected and the rest of the project is moving forward. I have trouble understanding how it's difficult to finance a Surf Park in Virginia Beach of all places. Like, how is this even an issue?

I’m not surprised it’s having trouble with financing. It’s a very unique and costly project which I imagine makes underwriting pretty difficult. And rising interest rates and construction costs are messing up a lot of projects. The longer construction is delayed, the more these issues compound. 

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

I am not under the impression that these are standalone projects. Developer is obviously concerned for the viability of the other concepts absent a surf park. 

1 hour ago, HRVA said:

I’m not surprised it’s having trouble with financing. It’s a very unique and costly project which I imagine makes underwriting pretty difficult. And rising interest rates and construction costs are messing up a lot of projects. The longer construction is delayed, the more these issues compound. 

and yet we have been told, repeatedly, that the financing was or would be in place.

Edited by baobabs727

I wouldn’t sweat Richmond’s arena. Both markets need larger, state-of-the-art venues and they’re far enough from us to where it shouldn’t siphon off our entertainment and vice versa. 

You might have Beyoncé come here one year for a tour, then go to Richmond for the next tour a year or two later. Gaga might do the same but in reverse. Kinda like how The Norva and the National coexist for smaller shows. 

17 minutes ago, varider said:

Between the surf park News and now WAVY article about the arena uncertainty with competition from Richmond, I don’t have much hope for any of our big projects at the moment. All we seem to be good for is warehouses and apartments these days

I read the article. It sounds like BS meant to put pressure on the city. Richmond is 1.5 to 2 hours away on a good day with no traffic. These arenas will not be in direct competition. You have cities with larger arenas within a few miles of each other and you're telling me we can't support one because someone in the middle of the state decided to build their own? What a ludicrous idea. Sounds like they're getting cold feet and are trying to blame their lack of commitment on the city's process.

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

Was the previous article much ado about nothing? I have no idea what’s going on anymore…

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-surf-park-resolution-0923-20220924-qtr7pcfyrrbonib7unvfoyxoza-story.html

The developers are probably trying to spin the story. Culpepper didn’t seem like he was giving complete answers and the consensus from the city seems to be conventional financing was an issue. It is what it is. Hopefully the unconventional financing works out and the project starts construction. It was reported in June that construction was expected this fall & they have been pulling building permits. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welp. Should we put a clock on this one?  "Countdown to flatline." You know, it's terribly sad that so many open secrets about this plan's financing woes never made it to press.  Everyone in the City Mgr's office and many on Council knew of them, of course, but all we taxpayer-peons kept hearing was "all is well, still on track, construction is set for...blah blah blah."  So typical of major development projects in HR.   They're usually held together by hope, a couple of prayers and a roll of duck tape. 

Well, at least Pharrell tried.  How much money was HE putting up again? 

18 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

If this is true that could be just over a week away. However, I doubt they'll start on the 1st so what are we thinking? Possibly mid month? 

Not sure on exact date, but odds are very high that they will indeed begin construction in November. Unfortunately I can't go into any more detail than that at this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

On which portion, exactly. Which portion is guaranteed, and which portion is still not guaranteed?  This is all people want to know.  

I’m sure they’ll start on the apartments lol.

Very high and "guaranteed" are not the same thing. I did not use that word, you did. Obviously, it would be on those components outside of the Surf Park itself, as has been discussed previously when it was discussed how the Surf Park was phased. There are things that need to occur prior to full construction, things that I am privy to in my line of work (yes, I have a real job) outside of UP. Those items are currently moving forward. Barring any more *surprises, construction should indeed begin in November. Though this project is known for it's surprises which is why I hedge. You can laugh if you wish, only time will tell.

• Like 1