Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

On 10/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, vdogg said:

Very high and "guaranteed" are not the same thing. I did not use that word, you did. Obviously, it would be on those components outside of the Surf Park itself, as has been discussed previously when it was discussed how the Surf Park was phased. There are things that need to occur prior to full construction, things that I am privy to in my line of work (yes, I have a real job) outside of UP. Those items are currently moving forward. Barring any more *surprises, construction should indeed begin in November. Though this project is known for it's surprises which is why I hedge. You can laugh if you wish, only time will tell.

Ahh.  Kudos. I'd long ago suspected as much when you started interjecting some technical details re: various building processes a few years back. So when did you transition into the development arena and in what capacity? Do share. Don't be shy lol.

Apartments, yes?  Duh.  Low-hanging fruit.  High return investment.  But the Surf Park/Wave Garden? Questionable, risky. So, yeah, definitely in peril, a.k.a, not "guaranteed." BTW, I wasn't saying you had intimated anything was guaranteed or not guaranteed. I was merely stating the obvious:   most people want to know what's actually going to happen or what's most likely to happen...or not happen.  I simply question the lack of cynicism--a.k.a., realism--given their track record so far, the infamous prior history of this parcel...and HR dev in general.  Harrrrdly controversial lol.

19 hours ago, Mike A. said:

Virginia Beach and projects never getting off the ground, name a better duo I'll wait

Oh, you just wait. They'll come. It's called the "willing suspension of disbelief."  It's a fever. One can catch it here, so one should inoculate oneself with realism forged in the crucible of time, experience, contacts and actual knowledge.   

5 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Ahh.  Kudos. I'd long ago suspected as much when you started interjecting some technical details re: various building processes a few years back. So when did you transition into the development arena and in what capacity? Do share. Don't be shy lol.

Apartments, yes?  Duh.  Low-hanging fruit.  High return investment.  But the Surf Park/Wave Garden? Questionable, risky. So, yeah, definitely in peril, a.k.a, not "guaranteed." BTW, I wasn't saying you had intimated anything was guaranteed or not guaranteed. I was merely stating the obvious:   most people want to know what's actually going to happen or what's most likely to happen...or not happen.  I simply question the lack of cynicism--a.k.a., realism--given their track record so far, the infamous prior history of this parcel...and HR dev in general.  Harrrrdly controversial lol.

I am not in development. I am occasionally involved in the pre development/pre site work process of some local projects, but not all them. Depends on what I’ve been assigned.

On the Surf Park, I give it 60/40 on that continuing to be a part of the project. Regardless, do not expect that work to begin on the front end.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have an official start date yet, though WM Jordan does have a trailer on site. As of November, all contracts that were out for bid have now been awarded. As soon as I have an official date, I'll pass it on, though my gut tells me this may slip into December with Thanksgiving coming up.

That said, the Entertainment Venue ( Dome/theater) portion of the project is scheduled to begin construction in March of 2023. Nothing on the wave pool yet.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, vdogg said:

I am not in development. I am occasionally involved in the pre development/pre site work process of some local projects, but not all them. Depends on what I’ve been assigned.

On the Surf Park, I give it 60/40 on that continuing to be a part of the project. Regardless, do not expect that work to begin on the front end.

Nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The devil is always in the details. Our portion of work that needs to be completed before site work/construction is done. Things have gone...quiet, other than a rickety trailer with the WM Jordan logo on it. There is some more work we need to do once construction commences, but this is all on the developer now. Another delay, which seems to again have been tied to financing, but maybe this is really it? Obviously nothing before the turn of the year, but with the Dome itself funded, there are no excuses left...

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-atlantic-park-entertainment-venue-1214-20221215-w5ttmehl3vexpfv663hr2rpwqm-story.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Land disturbing permit was issued 1/25/23. The  official address of Atlantic Park is 400 20th street. Still no set ground breaking date. but i’ve been told March. Given the tendency for their timelines to slip, i’m hesitant to hang my hat on that, but with permits now issued we’re closer than we’ve ever been.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very small, inconsequential, bulldozer now sitting in the WM Jordan construction trailer site. Additionally, they've posted their construction and land disturbing permits at their gate. Not much to write home about, but it appears that we may actually begin construction in March as I've been told. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was quick. Found several permits related to the utility work going on, all associated with the Atlantic Park project. Believe it or not, we are FINALLY under construction. Here's hoping things proceed smoothly from here on out.

• Like 4

• vdogg changed the title to Atlantic Park (Under Construction)
10 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

Things seem to be progressing with the surf park. I like the idea of WRV, a local company, being involved giving lessons, rentals, etc. 
https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-atlantic-park-details-0315-20230316-jk6bs6v7djgahlqem5bpf6b4ee-story.html

Even though official "groundbreaking" hasn't occurred, site work is already under way. Hard to believe we've finally reached this point, but everything seems solid. One thing I was worried about is whether the developer just decided to proceed with site work without funding, and we'd wind up with a  Granby Tower situation where work would stop because funding fell through. I was put a bit more at ease about that possibility from reading the article.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-atlantic-park-deal-20230321-bxx6o6ugl5bvhepon3dceaewya-story.html

"VIRGINIA BEACH — After more than five years of planning and negotiating, with much of it during the pandemic, the city’s largest public/private partnership project is finally going to become a reality.

“We have made it with Atlantic Park,” Taylor Adams, Virginia Beach’s director of economic development, told members of the city’s Development Authority at a meeting Tuesday morning."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-nw-atlantic-park-deal-closes-0331-20230330-l7k7llctqre4rh3wg5qvojxw34-story.html

Atlantic Park, a $335-million mixed-used development, is a done deal, and construction will begin immediately.

Virginia Beach and the developer, Venture Realty Group, announced the closing Thursday. Pharrell Williams is a partner in the project, which will be built on the former dome site in the heart of the resort area.

Construction on Phase I of the development will begin immediately, with an anticipated opening date of summer 2025. Phase I will include the surf park, the entertainment venue, commercial aspects, and more than 300 multifamily homes and office space.

Phase II remains in the conceptual phase but is slated to include additional public parking, residential and retail space, as well as a boardwalk connecting Atlantic Park to the Virginia Beach Boardwalk at the 17th Street Park, according to the news release.

The city is contributing $125 million to the project for two parking decks, an entertainment venue and public infrastructure improvements to the Central Resort Area.

• Like 2

The development will also include 309 apartments, 10,000 square feet of office space, a 1,4555-space parking garage and 100,000 square feet of space which will house a virtual reality attraction and high-end Mexican, Asian and statehouse restaurants.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/catch-a-wave-atlantic-park-closes-on-financing-and-begins-construction/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:02 PM, varider said:

Unfortunately, the Dome in that rendering (which is stunning) is not the Dome we're actually getting. The newer renderings have the "Dome" looking considerably more...square....

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, varider said:

Omg!!! When I was initially assisting in reviewing the proposal, we had a lot of issues with how ugly it was. What happened!? It looks so much better now! Maybe the design improvements we pushed for actually happened? I left the City before anything was finalized.

Edited by Lluck002
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lluck002 said:

Omg!!! When I was initially assisting in reviewing the proposal, we had a lot of issues with how ugly it was. What happened!? It looks so much better now! Maybe the design improvement we pushed for actually happened? I left the City before anything was finalized.

Wait!  Which one is it?

Will the real new Dome please stand up?

Edited by baobabs727
  • Haha 1