Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

21 hours ago, BFG said:

I don’t believe it. After 30 years, Virginia Beach is doing something with the Dome site. Now if only Norfolk could put an arena somewhere in the next three years, we’ll be in business. 

Oh boy, You put too much trust in us! 
Norfolk's arena project is up in the air and currently flying farther away. Our city seems to not undersand where they want to put it. Downtown? Military Circle? Who knows....Then all of a sudden, somehow a development up in henrico country seems to be limting us from over 100 miles away! 

Props to VB for getting its projects done. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t think I truly had a feel for how massive this project was until today. After driving by the area I must say this is one of the most massive construction sites i’ve ever seen in HR. It will be absolutely transformative. If we can get the Capstone project off the ground the entire area will be unrecognizable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Pilot buried the lead; the money will come from the sports tourism fund, which makes sense given how well the Sports Center is doing. But it feels like they’re trying to stir the pot and rile up the usuals. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BFG said:

The Pilot buried the lead; the money will come from the sports tourism fund, which makes sense given how well the Sports Center is doing. But it feels like they’re trying to stir the pot and rile up the usuals. 

That's exactly what they're doing. They're one of the biggest reasons we can't get anything major done around here. Big city newspaper with small town provincial mindset. Ignore them.

*At least we don't have to deal with Kerry Daugherty anymore...🙄

• Like 1

I was bummed that the Arena effort failed, surprised that the City had a contingency plan all ready to go, supportive of the VBSC but concerned about where any future arena would go after VBSC was completed (I emailed 4 councilpersons asking them, "after VBSC is built, where could a future (viable) arena be built?" and received only 1 response lol).  I was also critical of the "architecture," or lack thereof, of the VBSC, especially considering that freaking SOM designed the VBCC! UGH. Anyway, City Auditor has said that the VBSC lost almost $3M over the past 2 years. I'm sure there was spinoff to offset most or all of that red ink, but anyway.... City and the operator are are looking for ways to improve efficiency of operations and to figure out ways to program the Summer months with larger, more prominent events. Unfortunately,   VBSC has received  complaints from prospective event organizers that the Summer hotel rates are prohibitive and that  blocking off large groups of rooms is next to impossible.  So how do you fix those issues? Hmmm.  Perhaps you build a VBCC/VBSC hotel, off-strip, with 300 or more rooms?!?!?  Helloooooo Mayorrrrrr Dyerrrrr?!?! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BFG said:

I saw a rumor on Twitter (grain of salt obviously) that an arena could become part of the Atlantic Park deal. Anyone know anything about that being even remotely true?

Where? There's no space. I know one piece of land that will be demoed in the next few months but that's no where near big enough without incorporating surrounding properties. All the other cleared land is spoken for. No way that substation provides enough space without 1) condemning nearby properties and 2) reworking the street grid .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I saw this proposal for the Atlantic Park wave pool and entertainment center.  How much percentage is the city putting up for it or it is mostly private development?

I do believe this region needs a new arena somewhere.  

$125 / $335 million (~37%) according to this article but I’m sure both of those numbers will move up. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 1:10 PM, vdogg said:

I don’t think I truly had a feel for how massive this project was until today. After driving by the area I must say this is one of the most massive construction sites i’ve ever seen in HR. It will be absolutely transformative. If we can get the Capstone project off the ground the entire area will be unrecognizable.

All True. Now, if we could only get something done like they're getting done in Richmond...to the tune of 2.4 BILLION DOLLARS! Then, and only then, will I believe that we have "arrived." Our largest development (VBTC) is slightly less than 1/4 of that sum. 

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/diamond-district-deal-approved-largest-development-project-in-city-history/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...