Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, BFG said:

That's most developments in this region

On 4/21/2017 at 10:06 AM, Virginia City said:

Cordish has already failed in the area once with the Power Plant, while I think Waterside will be successful I would give it to AEG since they can tie to dome site to the arena.

Why do you consider the Power Plant to be a failure?

It was touted as an entertainment area based on the successful Power Plant at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. Currently the Nascar Sports grill and Luckys Piano bar formarly McFaddens both sit empty. There is that Italian restaurant that I feel like was only open for a few months and has sat there for years empty and the El Pollo Loco Mexican fast food spot that didn't last long either. Saddle Ridge was hugely popular but that closed thankfully to reopen as PBR.

Its an unfortunate product of poor placement. Odd location, very isolated. Putting it on the other side of the interstate and it might have been more successful but Hampton was not the best place to put it in general.

If I want entertainment I'll pass on the Power Plant but I at least know it's got my back if I want to buy my Ketchup in bulk.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, vdogg said:

I think this has real potential. It can be a signature item for the city while also not being of such a large scope to be impossible to obtain financing. Of all the proposals I've seen for that plot of land, this has the most potential of any of the ones that have been submitted over the last few years. The other proposals were either just too boring or were clearly unrealistic.

Trust me, whatever Cordish proposed would get developed, for they are their own  bank. 

I am familiar with Venture. I grew up with the children of the family who have owned the property on which the Marketplace at Hilltop currently sits...since the 1950's. Venture has developed two (2) strip malls. That is the extent of their resume. Pharrell's involvement does not sway me.  Neither does their decent landscaping.

It looks like 40% of this property is going to be water? Are you kidding me??  Last I checked, there's already water everywhere... across the street... down the street...around the bend. This is asinine. And you can't use it in the winter or even during the shoulder seasons! Now I'd be really impressed if they were going to enclose this in some huge glass case. 

I needn't review Breeden's resume, for it is both extensive & impressive.  I would echo Torrey Breeden's comments in toto.

Edited by baobabs727

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well on second thought....Bam!  This proposal is valued at $300 million.  180 day window of exclusive negotiation coming up here after a vote.  Big hitters behind this. Pharrell Williams among them. This could actually go.  Quite impressive.  Cutting-edge, sound wave-making technology capable of producing pro surfer level waves, One of only two potentially out of the gate  being  deveveloped on East Coast...with the other one being in Palm Beach.  

Also includes office, retail, residential, restaurants and a 4000 seat entertainment venue.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/virginia-beach-has-waited-years-to-develop-the-dome-site/article_053c0f8f-014a-5370-9e64-09bc1e8e1851.html

IMG_2419.PNG

IMG_2420.PNG

IMG_2421.PNG

Edited by baobabs727

22 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

Why does VB need an artificial beach built two blocks away from the real beach?

My thought also. There has to be something better that can be developed here. Now it seems like the city will go for ANYTHING. Including an artificial beach two blocks away from the real one.

While I agree the ocean is just a few feet away I think this is a pretty cool opportunity. I think it would be pretty successful with residents and tourists alike. And after so many years of waiting just build something already...  

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The city plans to vote to hire a consultant, in order to see whether this is feasible. Is this normal? Do other cities/metros our size do things like this, or is this another case of VB being too cautious and/or conservative?

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/virginia-beach-wants-to-spend-k-to-make-sure-surf/article_f165a35e-6e95-55bc-8749-c8555d17f3d9.html

• 1 month later...

How about we commission a study  to see whether or not we should go to a dictatorship governing model. With Dave Hansen or Mayor Sessoms at the helm. Lifetime tenure. I'm sick and tired of these endless studies upon studies. They're merely aimed at covering butts. Kicking the can down the road. Nobody wants to stick his/her neck out and LEAD. No courage. Sad. The nattering nabobs of negativism have won the day. Loudest, angriest voices....  clearly, they learned zero, nada, zilch from the "Nashville experience."

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1