Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Negotiations are ongoing, in spite of a looming (non-binding) deadline. Apparently there are concerns from other restaurants about too much competition, which makes me wonder have any restaurant owners around here ever visited a large city before.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_17a6a55a-0d18-11e9-af78-ffc47ed9f008.html

• Like 1

Well, I’m going to eat a little crow tonight, but I must say that I was impressed with the way Mayor Dyer handled himself tonight when talking about the term sheet. He seems to be all on board with the concept, as do all the council members that were in attendance tonight. This seems like it may be a done deal. The way he spoke was not the Dyer that I have heard in the past, he honestly sounded like Will Sessoms. This is a good start. Perhaps he has taken a different view of city governance now than he is responsible for the entire city and not just one district.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Man, the pilot NIMBYs are mad as h@*l about this. :lol: I think they truly believed Dyer was just going to up and stop all development in VB (tbh, that was a concern of mine). Never been so happy to be wrong. :rofl:

It was the same thing in the Instagram post I put up earlier on the Norfolk board. I really hate to paint VB with a broad brush, but the NIMBYs think merging (or doing anything) with Norfolk is like making a deal with the devil, or think VB is a first-class city on the same page as Miami or Honolulu. It's a nice, inexpensive vacation spot, but that's it.

Back to this, I get you don't want tourists crowding the beach, but the moment they go away, your taxes are skyrocketing to make up for the lost revenue. The parking lot is an eyesore, and has been an eyesore for a quarter of a century.

• Like 2

Council approved a "non-binding term sheet".

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_dbfe45a2-183a-11e9-972a-7b5c68746b5d.html

I notice local curmudgeon resident Reid Greenmum was on hand to complain, as he does about everything.

A few people questioned the need for the project with flooding issues in the city and the timing of the vote on the same night as public comment. 

“What’s the rush?,” asked resident Reid Greenmun.

I wish the Pilot would stop with its obsession over tax dollars and infrastructure issues. Last I checked, the tourism and storm budgets are completely unrelated.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The new financing plan must be publicly vetted before the City Council and the Virginia Beach Development Authority vote on it in November.

Oh goody! Another study? Can't wait for the NIMBYs who never even go to The Strip to come out and pooh-pooh this one!

• Like 1

Living in Raleigh for just shy of two years, it's crazy to see all of the projects that get approved without lenghty fights and seeing cranes and high rises sprouting up all over the place. It pains me to see all of these cities flourish and pass my hometown by because they continue to shoot themselves in the foot. I've pretty much given up on anything changing substantially in Hampton Roads until I'm too old to enjoy it. It's sad to know what the area is capable of and never seeing it come to light.

Edited by michael ary
spelling
  • Like 1