Stuttgart, Arkansas

Mith242

I mainly started this topic for a place to put some pictures but I want to also mention some things about the city before I start posting any pics. I always thought Stuttgart was a bit of an odd place. I think it's the only decent-sized city (by Arkansas standards) that was named after another city. It's also the only German founded town that did well and became a city. Although it's lost most of it's German influence. The early settlers were German but afterwards much of the growth came from non German settlers. So unlike some other German founded cities in the south you won't see hardly any German influence other than the name. It's also managed to have a rather steady population for the last several decades. Which is a bit of an accomplishment considering how most of eastern Arkansas has been losing population. But also a bit odd that it really hasn't grown much either. I always thought it had weird mixture of people. There seems to be a number of rather wealthy rice farmers along with quite a few poor people as well. It's mainly a farming community. As I mentioned earlier rice is the big thing. Although a lot of rice is know grown further north into northeast Arkansas but Stuttgart is still mainly known for it. Riceland is headquartered there. That and farming are the main employers there. Arkansas is by far the leading rice producing state in the country. Stuttgart is also known for duck hunting around this time of year. The wetlands and flooded rice fields attract a lot of birds migrating south. It's also known for it's Wings Over the Prairie Festival and Duck Calling Contest. This year's was the 71st and it claims to be the longest currently running festival in the South. I also found out the winner of the Duck Calling Contest receives $40,000. I thought that was a rather large amount for a festival in a city it's size. Anyway I'll get around to posting some pics now and post a little more info later on.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These first two I've already posted in the Arkansas Picture of the Day topic. But I'm not sure how many people check it out so I'll post them over here as well. It's a bit odd if you don't know much about Stuttgart and you're driving near the area. It's very flat there in the Grand Prairie and when you get somewhat close you can see what almost seems to be office buildings. It gives you the impression you're driving up on a much larger city. But all the buildings are actually mills.

stuttgart01il0.jpg

stuttgart02lg0.jpg

Here's some pics more related to the Wings of the Prairie Festival and the Duck Calling Contest. It was a bit slow the morning I took the pics, I think many people were out duck hunting and enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. The Fesitval takes place all along Main St, they shut it down during the week of the Festival. The last pic was fun to get. I rode one of the rides and took pics going up. I didn't think they were going to let me take my camera along but they did. They just told me they weren't responsible if I dropped it.

stuttgartfestival01ez5.jpg

stuttgartfestival02ar2.jpg

stuttgartfestival03au5.jpg

stuttgartfestival05ew5.jpg

stuttgartfestival06yc8.jpg

stuttgartfestival04yy7.jpg

I guess Stuttgart has been the only city I've come across like that. For just mainly being a 'farm community' it's not too bad of a place. They tend to have things you might not expect. Rogers just got a Belk a few years ago but Stuttgart has had one for decades. I also saw a Thai restaurant years before I ever saw one up here in NWA.

Okay I posted a few old pics already from the Museum of the Arkansas Grand Prairie. Thought I'd show a little more of it off. Certainly not too bad of a museum for a city of 10,000. In some of the later pics you can also see a reproduction of the original Emanuel Lutheran Church. Ironically it was built in 1879 and Stuttgart came afterwards in 1880. A bit odd, usually it works the other way around.

stuttgartmuseum01ia0.jpg

stuttgartmuseum02vq0.jpg

stuttgartmuseum03na6.jpg

stuttgartmuseum04qa3.jpg

stuttgartmuseum05de2.jpg

stuttgartmuseum06ae6.jpg

stuttgartmuseum07el1.jpg

stuttgartmuseum08ec7.jpg

stuttgartmuseum09tz7.jpg

I already mentioned a bit of the history in the previous post. Adam Buerkle who was originally from the Stuttgart Germany area came to Arkansas via Ohio and bought a large plantation that was for sell. He helped build Emaunel Lutheran Church with some other German immigrants from that area of Germany. He also helped build the Post Office and then decided to name the community after his old home. I know a bit about the history because some of my ancestors married into the Buerkle family. Although my German ancestors came over a little later than the Buerkles and also came a little further out from Stuttgart Germany but still in that general region of the country. While I spent most of my early life in Pine Bluff I was actually born in Stuttgart. Anyway I'll post some more pics a little later.

Okay just a few more pics. These might not mean a lot to most but I thought I'd post some just for the fact of Stuttgart's German heritage. While they're certainly not too uncommon up here in NWA Lutheran churches aren't too common in the south. The first five are of the current Emanuel Lutheran Church. The same church that basically helped get the town of Stuttgart going. Then the last three are of St Johns Lutheran Church, another Lutheran church in the city.

emanuellutheran01dw7.jpg

emanuellutheran02fn4.jpg

emanuellutheran03ce5.jpg

emanuellutheran04vy0.jpg

emanuellutheran05xo1.jpg

stjohnslutheran01mb1.jpg

stjohnslutheran02sm6.jpg

stjohnslutheran03fu6.jpg

Thanks for sharing these photos of Stuttgart, Mith. It's nice to see different places in Arkansas as well as the metro areas.

These first two I've already posted in the Arkansas Picture of the Day topic. But I'm not sure how many people check it out so I'll post them over here as well. It's a bit odd if you don't know much about Stuttgart and you're driving near the area. It's very flat there in the Grand Prairie and when you get somewhat close you can see what almost seems to be office buildings. It gives you the impression you're driving up on a much larger city. But all the buildings are actually mills.

• 3 months later...

The kitchen at Our Place was apparantly consumed in a fire. The rest of it has water damage from when the firemen put the fires out. You can't tell anything from the outside, but it's certainly a real bummer. If anyone hears what the owners plan to do, please post!

The kitchen at Our Place was apparantly consumed in a fire. The rest of it has water damage from when the firemen put the fires out. You can't tell anything from the outside, but it's certainly a real bummer. If anyone hears what the owners plan to do, please post!

• 2 months later...

A very cool thread! I have always wondered what Stuttgart looked like, and low and behold here is a thread on it! Great pics Mith242! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share the pics of this great looking little city! Always a fan of pics and info on places we dont always hear or get to know a lot about. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
A very cool thread! I have always wondered what Stuttgart looked like, and low and behold here is a thread on it! Great pics Mith242! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share the pics of this great looking little city! Always a fan of pics and info on places we dont always hear or get to know a lot about. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived