Latest Population Estimate Numbers

SlidellWX

Well...the LRA has put out the revised estimate numbers for the region. I'm concerned about the sampling error with these numbers..especially the 14% error in Jefferson Parish. That equates to a nearly 50,000 person difference. It is around 10% in Orleans parish which would add another 20,000 possibly to the population.

I also am noticing a very interesting statistic concerning the student age population. As some may recall, a report was published in the TP about the current Orleans Parish public school student population nearing 27,000 students. This number does not include private school enrollment figures. However, this latest estimate from the LRA only shows 27,669 New Orleans children enrolled in both public and private schools. The math doesn't seem to be coming together on that one.

Another interesting note is that the Orleans Parish public schools are 90% african american, but the city is only 47% african american according to the LRA. 43% of the population in New Orleans is caucasian, 3.5% asian, and around 6% hispanic according to the LRA. Does this mean that the majority of children in white, hispanic, and asian households do not attend school, or is that entire segment of the population comprised of adults finished with school. Seems pretty unrealistic to me.

I am very concerned about the accuracy of these LRA numbers...as funding decisions for projects are tied to them.

Here is a link to the LRA population estimates page.

http://popest.org/popestla2006/

Here is the article from the Times Picayune

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/ind....xml&coll=1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it is amazing so many have returned to New Orleans after such a massive disaster. I was afraid we were going to lose it. If ANY people are returning, that is a good thing. We might have to accept a smaller New Orleans, but that's better than a dead New Orleans.

I would hate to see 5 million crammed into the area. However, I think Orleans Parish can comfortably hold 500-600,000 people if more highrise development goes in along the river and in certain areas of the Lakefront. I could see the region with 2,000,000 in the long term, but we'd be at our developable land limits. By that point...BR would basically be merged with us anyway.

I lived in Atlanta for a year and half while interning, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Way to many people and my 14 mile commute took an average of 45 minutes every day. No thank you.

I would hate to see 5 million crammed into the area. However, I think Orleans Parish can comfortably hold 500-600,000 people if more highrise development goes in along the river and in certain areas of the Lakefront. I could see the region with 2,000,000 in the long term, but we'd be at our developable land limits. By that point...BR would basically be merged with us anyway.

I lived in Atlanta for a year and half while interning, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Way to many people and my 14 mile commute took an average of 45 minutes every day. No thank you.

I don't see the "Baton Rouge/New Orleans merger" thing coming about. You're talking about cities that are some eighty miles apart; I'm not sold on the density all along the I-10/Airline corridor becoming such that it's close enough to continuous for the two metro areas to be considered as one.

New Orleans' new recovery coodinator, who I was EXTREMELY impressed with, said on 690am today that he expects at the end of 10 years a population in Orleans of about 600,000 and a total metro population of about 2 million. I was suprised, but he had some very convincing ideas and data to support his claims.

This guy is the best thing to happen to this city since the Superdome. If you get a chance to hear him talk, listen to him. He helped San Francisco and Oakland after the 89 earthquake and NY after 9/11. The guy is impressive.

New Orleans' new recovery coodinator, who I was EXTREMELY impressed with, said on 690am today that he expects at the end of 10 years a population in Orleans of about 600,000 and a total metro population of about 2 million. I was suprised, but he had some very convincing ideas and data to support his claims.

This guy is the best thing to happen to this city since the Superdome. If you get a chance to hear him talk, listen to him. He helped San Francisco and Oakland after the 89 earthquake and NY after 9/11. The guy is impressive.

I have read up on this guy and what he did from the Bay Area after the 89 earthquake and 91 firestorm was impressive. This man will definitely be a huge part in jump starting the recovery in this region. He knows what he's doing...is not bound to the city in any familial manner and does not put with political crap...and can take an overall look at the region rather than focus on specific neighborhoods. This is the best thing to happen for the whole region in a long time.

I have read up on this guy and what he did from the Bay Area after the 89 earthquake and 91 firestorm was impressive. This man will definitely be a huge part in jump starting the recovery in this region. He knows what he's doing...is not bound to the city in any familial manner and does not put with political crap...and can take an overall look at the region rather than focus on specific neighborhoods. This is the best thing to happen for the whole region in a long time.

Archived