Reason to ban dry-vit

mendelman

The following images are just one example of why the use of dry-vit (EIFS, fake stucco) is insidious and harmful.

This a condo conversion of a 1920s small apartment building in my streetcar suburb of Chicago.

Oak_Park_121105_101.jpg

The building was built with a nice yellow tone finished brick on the street sides of the building from foundation to parapet with nice simple limestone banding and lintels for accent.

Well, the developer comes along and covers the perfectly good brick of the ground floor with dry-vit of a beige (puke) color. The next photos show the crime almost complete.

Oak_Park_121105_104.jpg

Oak_Park_121105_105.jpg

Oak_Park_121105_103.jpg

Oak_Park_121105_102.jpg

I don't know the specific reasoning for the dry-vit, but I can't think of any good reason to cover the wonderful, good condition brick, and why spend the extra money for it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, this is a bad example of the use of Dry-vit. But its just a kind of building material and like any building material there are both good and bad uses if it. So that in mind, I would be venting my dissatisfaction towards the architect in charge for ruining a perfectly good looking building by the use of an inappropriate building material has well as the developer for not second guessing the architect.

This type of stucco is best suited to more contemporary looking buildings, and any Mediterranean style structures.

Archived