Health Care Choice

KBavs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to the area, without a PCP, so the answer is personal consumption. Couldn't choose a doctor out of the book, so I thought it might be good to at least narrow it down to a hospital first. I figured the best doctors would be aligned with the best facilities, right?

Noticed that there's lots of development around Spectrum from getting familiar with the area through urban planet, so I thought that might be the place to be for first class care. Then thought that personal care might take a back seat to research, so I wanted to look at St. Mary's. Have asked my DH to get suggestions from work, but he forgets.

So after that long background story, I thought I would ask here.

New to the area, without a PCP, so the answer is personal consumption. Couldn't choose a doctor out of the book, so I thought it might be good to at least narrow it down to a hospital first. I figured the best doctors would be aligned with the best facilities, right?

Noticed that there's lots of development around Spectrum from getting familiar with the area through urban planet, so I thought that might be the place to be for first class care. Then thought that personal care might take a back seat to research, so I wanted to look at St. Mary's. Have asked my DH to get suggestions from work, but he forgets.

I worked at St. Mary's for five years. Patient's frequently complained about the food there, but always complimented the care. I think we're lucky to have so many superior healthcare options in GR. I'm partial to St. Mary's, but would certainly be admitted to any of our fine hospitals. I once took a friend to Spectrum Downtown ER for chest pain and heart palpitations, and had to wait 5 hours to see a doctor. 5 hours! I don't think I'd use their emergency services again.

Dateline did a thing on GR for the nightly news that had ER visit lengths for non serious situations. I think they concluded that GR had one of the shortest waiting times in the country, something like a half hour to be seen. My family usually frequents St. Mary's, and people say that the services degraded when the nuns left. I haven't been to the ER/Hospital in 8 years and when I was it took me an hour to be seen. The whole entire process of being checked in, seen, and done with my whatever took something like four hours. All around I think you can't go wrong on any medical treatment in GR.

Dateline did a thing on GR for the nightly news that had ER visit lengths for non serious situations. I think they concluded that GR had one of the shortest waiting times in the country, something like a half hour to be seen. My family usually frequents St. Mary's, and people say that the services degraded when the nuns left. I haven't been to the ER/Hospital in 8 years and when I was it took me an hour to be seen. The whole entire process of being checked in, seen, and done with my whatever took something like four hours. All around I think you can't go wrong on any medical treatment in GR.

I should point out that I had a lengthy waiting experience when I drove myself to Spectrum Butterworth ER w/a kidney stone. Waited 2 1/2 hours! (It was the height of flu season and everybody was bringing babies with high fevers in.) If you've ever had a kidney stone, you will know how excrutiatingly long 2 1/2 hours can be.

Hint: Sit right across from the receptionist's desk and get sick. That gets you in really fast. (Wish I had thought of it sooner.)

Metro is an osteopathic hospital, the only one in Michigan that I'm aware of. Frequently (though not always) DO school is less competitve than MD school and thus attracts less-saught-after candidates. Honestly, Metro scares me. Hopefully the move to the new hospital will help things. Personally, I can't recommend it.

I worked at St. Mary's for five years. Patient's frequently complained about the food there, but always complimented the care. I think we're lucky to have so many superior healthcare options in GR. I'm partial to St. Mary's, but would certainly be admitted to any of our fine hospitals. I once took a friend to Spectrum Downtown ER for chest pain and heart palpitations, and had to wait 5 hours to see a doctor. 5 hours! I don't think I'd use their emergency services again.

Many years ago, I asked some GRPD officers (E-unit guys -- yes, paramedics in GR used to be police officers) what their preferences were for trauma hospitals.

It was very clear:

1. Butterworth

2. St. Mary's

3. Everybody else.

Now that was a long time ago, but I do have the impression that the two downtown hospitals were the best for trauma. Heck, if you suffer from gunshot wound in LA, County USC, a giant public hospital with a very poor patient population, is probably one of the best places you could be. Why? They have plenty of experience.

Many years ago, I asked some GRPD officers (E-unit guys -- yes, paramedics in GR used to be police officers) what their preferences were for trauma hospitals.

It was very clear:

1. Butterworth

2. St. Mary's

3. Everybody else.

Now that was a long time ago, but I do have the impression that the two downtown hospitals were the best for trauma.

Archived