Hotel Boom

northernbizzkit1

This week's Memphis Business Journal (sorry...article isn't available yet for free) claims that Memphis may face a hotel overload. Apparently a Hilton Garden Inn, an Embassy Suites, and a Peabody expansion are all in the planning/proposal stages. Overall, 1007 rooms are proposed for the downtown area, but studies cite that future demand for downtown is a 700-800 convention hotel near the convention center. Various sources claim that if all of the hotels proposed for the area are built, a new convention center would be necessary.

Apart from this, I still am wondering where this Peabody expansion is going to be...since the article mentions the Embassy Suites, I'm gonna say that the parking lot next to Peabody Place Tower is out of the question...perhaps the Peabody expansion will be on top of the parking garage next to Peabody Place (the garage with Hooters). I'm interested to see how big this would be...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This week's Memphis Business Journal (sorry...article isn't available yet for free) claims that Memphis may face a hotel overload. Apparently a Hilton Garden Inn, an Embassy Suites, and a Peabody expansion are all in the planning/proposal stages. Overall, 1007 rooms are proposed for the downtown area, but studies cite that future demand for downtown is a 700-800 convention hotel near the convention center. Various sources claim that if all of the hotels proposed for the area are built, a new convention center would be necessary.

Apart from this, I still am wondering where this Peabody expansion is going to be...since the article mentions the Embassy Suites, I'm gonna say that the parking lot next to Peabody Place Tower is out of the question...perhaps the Peabody expansion will be on top of the parking garage next to Peabody Place (the garage with Hooters). I'm interested to see how big this would be...

There was an article in the MBJ a few weeks ago about how downtown occupancy was significantly higher than the rest of the country. Have you ever tried to book a hotel downtown? You can't get a two-start for less than $100 on a weekend, while you can get a four-star in dallas or new orleans for $70.

There was an article in the MBJ a few weeks ago about how downtown occupancy was significantly higher than the rest of the country. Have you ever tried to book a hotel downtown? You can't get a two-start for less than $100 on a weekend, while you can get a four-star in dallas or new orleans for $70.

• 3 months later...

Meanwhile out east, a Hyatt Place (formerly known as AmeriSuites) will soon be built at Forest Hill/Winchester. They timed this right with the impending ServiceMaster move along with additional retail and office development.

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Also, the Land Use Control Board voted to allow a hotel to be built at Walnut Grove/Germantown Rd. Given the proximity to the Agricenter and the office space in that area, the location makes sense to me. One resident quoted in the story stated the value of his property will be cut in half and traffic in the area could worsen. Please...the area is already grown up with retail/office space and a small hotel won't make a dent in traffic. NIMBY syndrome, I think.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...5404727,00.html

Meanwhile out east, a Hyatt Place (formerly known as AmeriSuites) will soon be built at Forest Hill/Winchester. They timed this right with the impending ServiceMaster move along with additional retail and office development.

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Also, the Land Use Control Board voted to allow a hotel to be built at Walnut Grove/Germantown Rd. Given the proximity to the Agricenter and the office space in that area, the location makes sense to me. One resident quoted in the story stated the value of his property will be cut in half and traffic in the area could worsen. Please...the area is already grown up with retail/office space and a small hotel won't make a dent in traffic. NIMBY syndrome, I think.

• 3 months later...

Chalk up another hotel property for downtown according to the CA. A Marriott Courtyard is a great addition without overextending capacity. Marriott really seems to be solidifying their offerings in this market...too bad they don't add a Renaissance and a Ritz-Carlton.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5584618,00.html

Chalk up another hotel property for downtown according to the CA. A Marriott Courtyard is a great addition without overextending capacity. Marriott really seems to be solidifying their offerings in this market...too bad they don't add a Renaissance and a Ritz-Carlton.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5584618,00.html

I think a plethora of smaller hotels are much better than the big convention hotels. The former is more like New Orleans while the latter is like Atlanta, and Atlanta isn't really a good place to take a vacation while New Orleans is. The smaller hotels contribute much more to street life.

I think a plethora of smaller hotels are much better than the big convention hotels. The former is more like New Orleans while the latter is like Atlanta, and Atlanta isn't really a good place to take a vacation while New Orleans is. The smaller hotels contribute much more to street life.

While it would be nice to see another grand hotel built in Memphis, the most important factor is to get the appropriate mix of lodging alternatives. I think that another mid-range hotel downtown might be needed. The Ritz-Carlton and others will eventually follow.

The Memphis Business Journal states that the Tenoke building could be renovated as a hotel! I've long hoped that someone did something with this building and more buildings on that end of downtown. I sure hope the plans for this building come through.

Surely you jest. The Ritz Carleton is not likely to establish a presence in Memphis, TN downtown. Memphis is NOT a Ritz type of city at all, the Ritz is a very upscale establishment that caters to high end travelers, not necessarily 'conventions' (although in some cities they do a good job)

Come visit the Ritz in Naples, Sarasota, or Laguna Niguel CA, and see, and listen to their clientele....believe me, it's a bit different

ah, so the Peabody, Madison, Westin, and the other little boutique hotels in the area are just catering to the poor and middle-class? Think about those places before you say Memphis "is NOT a Ritz type of city at all". Also read a bit about how there is a demand for upscale hotels downtown...a major reason as to why the Peabody is getting ready to expand.

Shekelmeisterman,

In a word, Marriott will build a Ritz-Carlton where it will make money. Can this niche of the hotel industry work in Memphis? Many indicators suggest that it might. The success of the Peabody, the Madison and other properties offers a strong chance that a Ritz might not be an impossibility for Memphis in the future. As for knowing what sort of clientele stays at a Ritz property, I'm well traveled enough to know what works in different places and am more than familiar with good hotels throughout the world. I realize that you may be negative about Memphis for reasons of your own, but negativity for its own sake isn't much appreciated on these boards.

Tombarnes.....

It's unfortunate that you chose to personalize or internalize my own opinions based on a priori knowledge.

Second, no one has to agree with any one else's opinion whether it's perceived as 'negativity' or false gushing 'praise' or cheerleading.

Third, I could not care whether you et al 'appreciate' divergent and legitimate points of view. That seems patently silly. I am not overly interested in 'agreement' or enabling sycophants about or concerning Memphis, TN, or any other city that I have lived in or visit.

Third, I could not care whether you et al 'appreciate' divergent and legitimate points of view. That seems patently silly. I am not overly interested in 'agreement' or enabling sycophants about or concerning Memphis, TN, or any other city that I have lived in or visit.

Archived