Hotel Boom

northernbizzkit1

Shekelmeisterman,

Discussion is encouraged here, as are divergent points of view. No one has said that boosterism is required, but bashing is generally not considered good form. What I find puzzling is your consistent negativity. My point was that Memphis could well support a Ritz-Carlton property at some point in the future. Whether or not one will be built is largely up to Mr. Marriott. FYI, a St. Regis resort is actually in the works for Tunica. The builders of hotels- even the best of them, do not always take the social list into account when they are planning a new venture.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Shekelmeisterman - As ricky the great has already stated you only have 11 posts so far, yet all are extremely negative on the city of Memphis. While constructive criticism is MORE than welcomed on the forums; we are not interested in folks coming here just to bash communities and play the role of an instigator. So I recommend you examine the reasons you are posting here and how your posts are coming across to the rest of the forumers on this board.

Shekelmeisteran's criticisms might receive some more productive responses from fellow posters if they didn't exude so much disgust for our great city. Not liking Memphis is one thing but if you're out to prove every shortcoming in this town without at least throwing in some constructive remarks it's pretty easy to come off as a condescending A**hole.

Some of you seem confused indeed.

This poster is not interested in becoming cyber-buddies with any of you 'clickity-clickers'.

This poster is not motivated by anything other than providing opinions, based of experience and personal knowledge.

This poster is certainly not interested in becoming a 'member of the Memphis (or any other city) CLUB'

It's laughable to think that expressed opinions alone contain total 'truth'....one opinion is good as another !

Negavity ?? I didn't realize that this poster's expressed opinions must be first screened and or approved by the cyber-squatting Elders of Urban Panet Dot Memphis.

If you don't like a legitimately expressed opinion (whether so-called 'negative', or positive), the intelligent thing to do seems to be is simply ignore it.

Freedom of (reasonable) speech is wonderful thing methinks.

Clearly I am not interested in whether some other poster is rattled or disturbed by my participation....that's silly.....I couldn't care less.

This poster is not seeking out cyberfriends...that's even more silly.

By the way, although Tunica may be included in the Memphs MSA, the last time I was in Tunica or Robinsonville, I was in the State of MISSISSIPPI, the poorest state in the United States of America.

Memphians and residents of TN weren't progressive enough or bright enough to vote 'yes' for gaming etc. Instead, millions of dollars leave the Memphis area daily (one way) to be spent in the State of Mississippi, to the benefit of huge gaming interests who pay now, large sums of taxes to the State of Mississippi. The City of Memphis loses....notwithstanding service employees who cross the state line each day to work in MISSISSIPPI and pay MISSISSIPPI taxes.

Memphis leaders and business leaders weren't savvy enough to get the deal 'done' for the Memphis area and for the State......they were ineffective in getting legislative approval......that's not what I call progessive thinking at ALL...in fact that's pretty dumb in my opinion.

Shekelmeisterman,

Discussion is encouraged here, as are divergent points of view. No one has said that boosterism is required, but bashing is generally not considered good form. What I find puzzling is your consistent negativity. My point was that Memphis could well support a Ritz-Carlton property at some point in the future. Whether or not one will be built is largely up to Mr. Marriott. FYI, a St. Regis resort is actually in the works for Tunica. The builders of hotels- even the best of them, do not always take the social list into account when they are planning a new venture.

Um...last time I checked, you were the only one who was claiming that his or her opinions contained the "truth" when you claimed that it was the truth that the Peabody is a dump in comparison to the other hotels.

Nor am I interested in making any cyberfriends, but at the same time, I don't have to act like an ass on here with my opinions. I suggest you try the same. These boards are for educated opinions and discussion and not for spewing pure hate based on personal experiences.

Memphis leaders and business leaders weren't savvy enough to get the deal 'done' for the Memphis area and for the State......they were ineffective in getting legislative approval......that's not what I call progessive thinking at ALL...in fact that's pretty dumb in my opinion.

By the way, although Tunica may be included in the Memphs MSA, the last time I was in Tunica or Robinsonville, I was in the State of MISSISSIPPI, the poorest state in the United States of America.

Memphians and residents of TN weren't progressive enough or bright enough to vote 'yes' for gaming etc. Instead, millions of dollars leave the Memphis area daily (one way) to be spent in the State of Mississippi, to the benefit of huge gaming interests who pay now, large sums of taxes to the State of Mississippi. The City of Memphis loses....notwithstanding service employees who cross the state line each day to work in MISSISSIPPI and pay MISSISSIPPI taxes.

Some of you seem confused indeed.

This poster is not interested in becoming cyber-buddies with any of you 'clickity-clickers'.

This poster is not motivated by anything other than providing opinions, based of experience and personal knowledge.

This poster is certainly not interested in becoming a 'member of the Memphis (or any other city) CLUB'

It's laughable to think that expressed opinions alone contain total 'truth'....one opinion is good as another !

Negavity ?? I didn't realize that this poster's expressed opinions must be first screened and or approved by the cyber-squatting Elders of Urban Panet Dot Memphis.

If you don't like a legitimately expressed opinion (whether so-called 'negative', or positive), the intelligent thing to do seems to be is simply ignore it.

Freedom of (reasonable) speech is wonderful thing methinks.

Clearly I am not interested in whether some other poster is rattled or disturbed by my participation....that's silly.....I couldn't care less.

This poster is not seeking out cyberfriends...that's even more silly.

tombarnes,

Can you elaborate a little more on the St. Regis hotel/resort coming to the area. I have not heard anything about this and I am interested in hearing about it.

Also, how is the MGM resort doing? I have only heard a little bit about it in the past couple of months, nothing more than it is moving forward.

G-Town,

I wish I had more substantial information to give you on the St. Regis project. The property has been purchased by the California group and a groundbreaking is believed to be on schedule for September, but I can't say much more at this point, except that Riverbend is scheduled to proceed. BTW, I regret my error in including a DeSoto County development with Tunica. The two are definitely not related. As for the comments about Mississippi from our friend in the gated community , they are best ignored.

Mississippi already has a hotel that is close the quality of the St. Regis. The owners of the Beau Rivage spent $550 million on the recent renovation, and it includes a restaurant by Todd English and another by Emeril. The golf course was designed by Tom Fazio.

• 5 weeks later...

DT is definitely in a hotel boom right now:

Courtyard by Marriott (Court Square)

Holiday Inn (as referenced in USA Today)

Hyatt (in One Beale)

Microtel (under construction south of the Forum)

Westin Beale (newly opened)

What other DT ones am I forgetting?

DT is definitely in a hotel boom right now:

Courtyard by Marriott (Court Square)

Holiday Inn (as referenced in USA Today)

Hyatt (in One Beale)

Microtel (under construction south of the Forum)

Westin Beale (newly opened)

What other DT ones am I forgetting?

Ahhh...posted this on the Holiday Inn thread...i'll post here to:

So what are the current hotel projects downtown?

* Courtyard

* Holiday Inn

* Tonoke Building (if it isn't the Holiday Inn)

* The Grade Hotel (boutique hotel that will be at the cluster of three buildings on front where Prince Mongo's place was)

* Peabody Expansion (the MBJ and CA both mention this in articles on downtown hotels, but it still is pretty vague)

* Embassy Suites

* Hyatt at One Beale

* Chisca Plaza

any others? It seems kinda mid-range...granted, even the mid-range brands are going for $150+ downtown...I'd like to see more upscale projects. I wonder if the Kimpton and that off-shoot of the W are still going to be built at other locations downtown. putting it on a list makes it seem like a ton of hotel rooms are about to hit the market.

There's also plans for a new Hilton Garden Inn on the old Chisca Hotel property, and possibly a Homewood Suites as well. Plus, there are plans to convert the Tenoke building into a hotel, but it's unknown if it'll be under a brand or not.

Archived