Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

North_Raleigh_Guy

Fowlers Food and Wine in Durham Closed after 82 years

10 posts in this topic

I just heard that Fowlers Food and Wine in Durham is closed after being in operation for 82 years. I got an email from them just over two weeks ago saying they were closed for remodeling until Dec 1st. Anybody know the story about what happend??? Really sorry to see this place go.

I just heard that Fowlers Food and Wine in Durham is closed after being in operation for 82 years. I got an email from them just over two weeks ago saying they were closed for remodeling until Dec 1st. Anybody know the story about what happend??? Really sorry to see this place go.

When and if West Village II and Am. Tobacco II fill up with residents, having some kind of grocery there will be a no-brainer (as B. Kahlkof contends). In the meantime, though, I hope they can find some intrepid souls to invest in it.

It'd be pretty sweet if Foster's out on 15-501 decided to move into Fowler's downtown location. :whistling:

Then at least my girlfriend would stop confusing the two.

They probably got beaten by Wellspring/Whole Foods after all this time. Those two markets were similar enough that people probably just opted to go for Whole Foods instead. It's simply an example of a local guy (Lex Alexander) selling out to a national chain who eventually forces out the local competition.

So, doesn't this make Whole Foods just another big box chain? They talk a big grass roots game but the result is the same as Wal-Mart's closing out local store owners. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Never actually went to the Durham Fowler's but used to frequent the Chapel Hill store during my frosh year back in the day. I heard not-so-great things about the service there at the Durham location.

Never actually went to the Durham Fowler's but used to frequent the Chapel Hill store during my frosh year back in the day. I heard not-so-great things about the service there at the Durham location.

This is great news. And soon the Joe & Jo's space will be re-opening. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new Durham (sort of).