Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suburban george3

Faith in America

7 posts in this topic

I was intrigued today as driving back from my office in Hickory, NC to see 2 billboards decrying the use of religion to justify bigotry and prejudice and listed a website for a group called "Faith in America." This group is using past civil rights fights and injustices (women's rights, slavery, inter-racial marraige, etc) as basis for their media campaign.

Has anyone been in any of the communities targeted for one of their ad campaigns and what was the local response?? Negative, neutral, sparked a controversy?

If you want to see more about the organization, their website is www.faithinamerica.info. They have links to past campaigns and illustrations of advertisements run...

I'm glad to see that people aren't afraid to stand up to the ultra-conservative Christian right in small southern communities and elsewhere! :thumbsup:

That's great. The use of religion for bigotry is an abomination within itself.

Bigotry per Webster's: "Intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself."

Let's be honest - bigotry exists on both sides of this issue.

I would have to disagree. Christianity has been co-opted by bigots and Bible literalists that use it to bash gays. Responding to their falsehoods is not being bigoted in return

I would have to disagree. Christianity has been co-opted by bigots and Bible literalists that use it to bash gays. Responding to their falsehoods is not being bigoted in return