Boosting tourism in South Carolina

krazeeboi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I would add "Lakes" to the North West district as well, since they (Hartwell, Keowee, Jocasse, etc.) are HUGE magnets for tourism year round already. They could obviously be capitalized on more by the local governments, but the state should help in the promotion of their attractions. They currently draw millions of visitors annually. "Waterfalls" could also be added, since the vast majority of those awesome natural attractions are found in the North West district.

I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion. I believe South Carolina's encouragement of the tourism industry at the expense of other industries is the single biddest economic mistake that our state has made in the last 50 years.

1. The jobs created by tourism are almost all low-paying.

2. The vast majority of the business-owners that benefit from tourism are located out-of-state. This especially includes hotels, chain restaurants and retail establishments. A small percentage of these businesses are locally owned.

3. While we do collect accomodations and sales taxes on these visitors, they create a tremendous need for new roads and other infrastructure.

I am not opposed to tourism at all, and I think it should be encouraged, bu I feel we have put most of our eggs in this basket and this basket creates many more low-paying jobs than high-paying jobs. The same effort should have been made to attract high-tech industries 30-40 years ago.

The difference I see between what's presently being proposed and how this state has traditionally viewed tourism is that this plan is well-rounded and focuses on the entire state instead of just the coast. It also appears to be something of a "jumpstart" for other industries, as this tourism plan would highlight the quality of life all over the state. Just my take on it.

I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion. I believe South Carolina's encouragement of the tourism industry at the expense of other industries is the single biddest economic mistake that our state has made in the last 50 years.

1. The jobs created by tourism are almost all low-paying.

2. The vast majority of the business-owners that benefit from tourism are located out-of-state. This especially includes hotels, chain restaurants and retail establishments. A small percentage of these businesses are locally owned.

3. While we do collect accomodations and sales taxes on these visitors, they create a tremendous need for new roads and other infrastructure.

I am not opposed to tourism at all, and I think it should be encouraged, bu I feel we have put most of our eggs in this basket and this basket creates many more low-paying jobs than high-paying jobs. The same effort should have been made to attract high-tech industries 30-40 years ago.

Just for the record, we're not talking about turning every city in the state into a Myrtle Beach of sorts for the sake of tourism. With all of the hotels being built in cities like Columbia and Greenville, there had better be some kind of push to get them filled.

Just for the record, we're not talking about turning every city in the state into a Myrtle Beach of sorts for the sake of tourism. With all of the hotels being built in cities like Columbia and Greenville, there had better be some kind of push to get them filled.

I still can't understand why so many are being built there all at once. It seems that you'd want to be totally sure of a hotel's success before investing so much in an over-satuated/under-performing (occupany rates) market. Yes, it is great to see new hotels all over, but it may be awhile before real financial success can catch up. Now, I could be totally wrong, but that is what I see today.

On the other hand, Greenville is also experiencing a "hotel boom" that will meet the need for more rooms to accomodate the already strong international business and growing tourism industries. At this point, occupancy rates are very high, and the additional rooms are not expected to hurt the industry overall. I say we'll just have to wait and see for both cities.

To sum it up, I agree with the previous post. We need to focus more on selling the inland cities' tourism options.

^ Interesting article. Bo Augtry's comments for developers not yet invested in downtown Columbia were interesting, as well as the drop in occupancy rates from 2005 to 2006. Looks like the promotion of tourism (or boosting as this thread is titled) is needed with these new hotels coming online to get occupancy up and build more confidence. :thumbsup:

Well, the Hilton was a given. Without a hotel to specifically serve the convention center, you won't land as many meetings; so that one will pretty much be self-sustaining. The Sheraton is a limited-niche hotel. It's probably the other hotels mentioned will have their work cut out for them. Even then, I think these were long overdue. It's interesting that DT Columbia has more hotel rooms than DT Raleigh.

I would still like to see ecotourism come to the forefront in this state. This article (PDF file) talks about the untapped potential for ecotourism in the Midlands and statewide. I'll have some more specifics next week when I complete an ecotourism paper for my ecological anthropology class. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived