Boosting tourism in South Carolina

krazeeboi

I hope to see the money evenly divided among the major cities in this state, focusing on each one's strongest tourist attractions. That would do far more to promote our state and help people actually make the trip to SC, plus it may also play a key role in getting more SC residents to check out the tourist attractions found in other major cities around the state, hopefully bringing us all closer together mentally, instead of continuing to speak as if across a barbed-wire fence. :thumbsup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is just one of many examples screaming to be addressed regarding better advertising of our tourist attractions. This one focuses on downtown Greenville, but I'm sure the same could be said of other places around the state as well. While searching TripAdvisor.com, I found this quote from a recent visitor to Greenville from Washington D.C. He says what every one of us locals have heard time and time again from first-time visitors to downtown.

Here are a couple excerpts:

Having visited many of the tourist sites in South Carolina, I recently visited downtown Greenville for the first time the weekend of August 3d and was very pleasantly surprised...

...Although I had thought of Greenville as a good central location to visit the surrounding state parks and other natural attractions, like white water rafting, I'll also plan time in the future to spend in downtown Greenville - it is a great destination in its own right, and one of the most beautiful and lively downtowns I've visited in the South.

Greenville is on the fast-track to boosting regional and national tourism on a "massive" (but natural) scale. Regionalism is part of the plan, and even negotiations with NC are included.

Greenville TRAC - the master plan

An Outdoors Destination - outlook for 2007

Crossroads Mountain - S.C. access hopeful

Marketing S.C. - what we already know

Being actively involved in the overall plan to boost tourism here is as fun as actually enjoying the destination, in my opinion. :yahoo:

Yes. Apparently, NC is planning a state park on their side of Crossroads Mountain, but SC would like to have a primitive campground on our side. The main problem is that the only road access right now crosses into NC. SC wants to somehow create a new road and avoid taking people by the new state park. There are other details which you can read in the article, but that is the general theme of the actual events.

I did read the article, but it was a bit confusing. I guess if I had actually visited that area at some point, I would have a better of idea of what they're talking about. It sounds like a very scenic place. I need to check out the little bit of moutainous scenery our state does have to offer.

• 2 months later...

Here's a recent article in The State that talks about boosting inland tourism. It was short on specifics, but at least it's got state officials talking about it. I think promoting sports-oriented and nature-based tourism, which would include certain annual events (e.g., USPRO Cycling Tournament in Greenville) would be a great fit for our inland areas.

Greenville's booming tourism industry has been opening some eyes down in Columbia. The latest state budget included (read more here) a large amount of financial support for the Reedy River, which has become an undeniable regional destination. The County's massive outdoors tourism plan (read more here) is also gaining steam, helping both local and state officials realize the limitless potential in this part of the state. While the present is bright, the future is even more brilliant for the Upstate. :shades:

That is happening more these days, with The Cliffs Communities hosting the annual PGA golf event in both states. I am unsure what our state would be willing to do in a joint tourism venture, but the Upstate has tremendous potential in that regard.

The peidmont of SC and NC need to get together. We are the traditional southern textile belt, and with all the mill towns between Anderson and Greensboro, NC there should be more than enough tourism potential to really get something moving.

• 2 years later...

The Columbia Museum of Art's recent blockbuster impressionist art exhibition brought unprecedented attention and stature to South Carolina's visual arts scene, according to the attached article by the editor of Carolina Arts, a slick-back arts publication covering South and North Carolina. A lot of people from Charleston visited. Also, the show broke the CMA record for the number of people from every state and the District of Columbia.

http://carolinaarts.com/wordpress/2009/06/...ord-attendance/

Upstate Urged to Tap More Tourism Dollars

The Upstate currently generates 15% of the state's tourism dollars. The state views the Upstate as the place with the potential to help grow the state's tourism to help meet its goal of increasing the industry from $17.2 billion to $40 billion by 2020.

The potential is definitely there. The proposed Visitor Center on the Reedy in downtown Greenville is a great place to start, as is the Blue Wall center in the mountains. I look forward to seeing what will come of all this and how it will impact and shape the region...

Archived