New Medical School in Roanoke

bmedguy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's pretty damn cool to think about the potential changes coming about. With Carilion Clinic, a new medical school, an expanding Jefferson College, the development of the park at the old stadium site and the new Art Museum, Roanoke could have a much different and more energized feel. Three years ago if you told me all this had the potential of happening, I'd have said you didn't know Roanoke very well.

Yes, even more partnership with Virginia Tech and hosting its medical school would be HUGE for Roanoke.

I agree with you VSR. Blacksburg is the way to go - not Lynchburg with its Liberty University and Jerry Falwell. Va. Tech affiliations wold attract real brain power to the area.

It certainly would create a significant number of well paying jobs. It is interesting that this was leaked by a board member and no comment has come from Murphy or any VA Tech official. I wonder if tis is just a dream or if they can actually pull it off. I have to give Murphy credit. He doesn't think small. I like that.

The comment by the Coalition for Responsible Healthcare seems a bit shrill and smacks not well thought out opposition of change. The arguments against the clinic I could listen to, at this point I disagree with them but there are concerns that need to be aired. However, coming out against this, especially when there are no specifics to criticize makes them lose credibility in my opinion. Who else in their right mind opposes this?

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/98413

If this thing is legit, it seriously could be one of the biggest economic impacts for the Valley in a long time. Couple a VT med school w/ the Norfolk Southern intermodal facility (if that ever actually happens) and things could actually turn around for the better in the greater Roanoke area.

I'll be interested to see what the details of the announcement are. They seem to be a lot farther along than what they were letting on last month when it seemed they were saying it was just an idea they were bouncing around and hoping to make happen someday. I figured that meant 10 years if ever. It would be fantastic if this thing were to become reality sooner. No question it would add immensely to the continued revitalization of our downtown.

The medical school looks closer to reality than I had thought. The only downside is that its a pretty small school with a projected enrollment of 40 per class. Still, there's always the possibility (or probability) of expansion in the near future.

Here's the Roanoke Times article about the announcement.

Here's a link to a fact sheet Carilion compiled about the new school. fact sheet

And here's a site plan for the Riverside center, showing the location of the medical school. siteplan

• 8 months later...

An article in the Roanoke Times says the new medical school is going to be a larger building than originally planned as it will include more research offices. The site has also moved from the interior of Riverside to a parcel fronting Jefferson. That must mean it will be on the land on the downtown side of the Luna building. The article also says the facade will have a VT limestone look. I'm glad it will be someting different than the red brick. Some variation of style will be good compared to everything being uniform in my opinion. I guess this also means more research jobs are planned, so that seems like good news.

An article in the Roanoke Times says the new medical school is going to be a larger building than originally planned as it will include more research offices. The site has also moved from the interior of Riverside to a parcel fronting Jefferson. That must mean it will be on the land on the downtown side of the Luna building. The article also says the facade will have a VT limestone look. I'm glad it will be someting different than the red brick. Some variation of style will be good compared to everything being uniform in my opinion. I guess this also means more research jobs are planned, so that seems like good news.

I looked on Roanoke's online GIS and it appears that there is room for a substantial building north of the Luna headquarters. The aerial looks pretty new, because the Luna building is present. A parcel of land streches roughly 350 ft along Jefferson and extends back about 550 feet. The city has right of way forming the southern boundary (whitmore av) although it is basically a paper street (exists on paper only). Railroad right of way forms a diagonal boundary from the northeast to the southwest corner.

There is about 420 feet of road frontage along Jefferson Street south of the Luna building. Given Luna's frontage of about 130 feet, 3 more buildings that size could front Jefferson to the south to reach reserve ave. Just a thought. I don't know how tall vs how wide these buildings are supposed to be.

Then I got pretty excited when I remembered that the other side of Jefferson will be redeveloped from Reserve to the bridge over the RR. Think how much development might eventually come to this part of town. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

More research jobs is right! And high paying ones at that. Check out this article - roanoke times

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The nations newest medical school Virginia Tech Carillon School of Medicine is opening up in Roanoke, Aug 2. :yahoo:

This will do great things for the Roanoke-Blacksburg area. Medical Research, Pharmaceuticals, the possibilities are endless.

Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic announced a partnership to bring a medical school to Roanoke in January 2007. It was the brainchild of Virginia Tech President Charles Steger and Carilion CEO Dr. Ed Murphy..........

A week of orientation for the first class of 42 students will begin Aug. 2. Classes begin in earnest the week after that, although Johnson said students will begin learning from real medical cases the moment they walk through the door.

VTC is the 131st medical school in the U.S. and Canada offering a doctor of medicine degree that has received preliminary accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/253806

• 3 weeks later...

Archived