Southaven providing WiFi

Rardy

From today's CA

Southaven is seeking to become a 36-square-mile Wi-Fi hotspot where wireless Internet service is available to every household and laptop user.

Officials hope to move forward early next year with an $805,962 project to blanket the city's southern third with pole-mounted wireless routers. The entire city could be covered within two years.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Memphis doesn't have its priorities in order, if it did, our education system would be the best in the state, and crime would not be out of control.

Memphis will never do it, but i could see unincorporated areas of the county doing it or maybe one of the suburbs in the county.

From today's CA

The article doesn't mention if this will be free for users - does anyone know if they'll charge for it? I really think this is going to give Southaven an advantage over other DeSoto suburbs. If I were going to move to DeSoto, it would be Southaven for this reason only!

If Southaven can do this, why can't Memphis?? <_<

I dont see the purpose of wasting money on this. if the businuss community needs this so bad, then they can pay for it. otherwise i dont see why the tax payer has to pay for a sub-par qausi-high speed wireless internet. which the only people who can effectivly use are those with PDA, or labtop.

to me setting up city wide Wi-Fi networks seems like a waste of tax dollars, especially when we need better schools and have a crime problem on our hand.

You're probably right. Can you imagine the uproar if it was at all perceived that the city was doing something to benefit the middle and upper middle classes?? Yikes.

But at the same time, having WiFi downtown, around universities, and in major retail areas would be a big bonus, and is a factor when high-tech, white collar companies decide to relocate.

Archived