Poll: Which Company will be most Important in 2015?

Yankee Fan

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which Company will be the most important to the success of West Michigan in 2015?

• Wolverine World Wide
    • Universal Forest Products
    • Alticor
    • Herman Miller
    • Meijer
    • Gordon Food Service
    • Steelcase
    • Perrigo
    • Smiths Aerospace
    • Van Andel Institute
    • Johnson Controls
    • X-Rite
    • Benteler
    • Haworth
    • Other

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see Gentex on the list. What are everyones thoughts about them? They are constantly growing but they are part of the automotive industry. They seem like they could really explode here in the next couple of years.

They've got from 40 million to 64 million (in yearly sales) in under 2 years time.....

Plus they build the majority of Wal*Marts and just about all the Celebration! Cinema's. I'd say they're one to watch. I am.

40 million to 64 million dollars amounts to the coins in one's car ash tray when compared to the assets of the likes of Meijer, Steelcase, and Alticore. But then again we must factor in the fast pace dynamics of the modern business world in which a lot can happen in a mere 10 years.

They've got from 40 million to 64 million (in yearly sales) in under 2 years time.....

Plus they build the majority of Wal*Marts and just about all the Celebration! Cinema's. I'd say they're one to watch. I am.

They're planning a 35 million dollar expansion, so, yeah, I'd say their one to watch too.

"They recieved a $9.2 million dollar single business tax credit combined with $625,000 in job training grants from MEDC which convinced Fred Bauer to build a new manufacturing facility in Zeeland as opposed to moving to Georgia." YAY!!!

I would agree also that Gentex is a little unique as an automotive supplier, and will continue to grow. Their products are so specialized, and they keep patenting new technologies, that they can get the most value for their products (it's hard for automakers to beat them up on price because they have few if any competitors). They're not just making cup-holders and glove boxes.

If they can get their products specified in lower-priced vehicles, they'll really go gang busters. For instance, if the NHTSA ever calls for mandatory rear camera displays or exterior mirror LED turn signals, they'll be in the driver's seat. High-mounted brake lights and airbags were not always standard in vehicles, and in this "safety-paranoia" world, it could happen.

They're planning a 35 million dollar expansion, so, yeah, I'd say their one to watch too.

"They recieved a $9.2 million dollar single business tax credit combined with $625,000 in job training grants from MEDC which convinced Fred Bauer to build a new manufacturing facility in Zeeland as opposed to moving to Georgia." YAY!!!

I cannot agree with the Meijer votes. No doubt- they will play a sizeable role in Grand Rapids. But they are not going to provide the economic drivers that will push them to the top. And they have already done a lot of outsourcing overseas of their IT technical skills. They just do not strike me as growing or evolving. They are what they are. Very transactional.

• 10 months later...
I didn't see Gentex on the list. What are everyones thoughts about them? They are constantly growing but they are part of the automotive industry. They seem like they could really explode here in the next couple of years.

Wal-Marts are hardly the most profitable projects in the world. They have to bid each of them. So they may have increased their volume but who knows about their profit.

Regarding CDBarnes, I can't opine as to how influential they will be in 8 years, but I can opine as to the quality of work that they do and the level of customer service that they provide. I have built two (franchise) restaurants in GR in the past three years. Same general existing conditions, same general blueprints. Used a local big boy for the first one. Management was terrible, project manager was never around, had to schedule most of the work myself, had to constantly bother them to make sure anything was getting done, had to fix a bunch of mistakes myself. The general wasn't even around for our final walkthrough with corporate, where a list his mistakes was generated. On average, during the last 4 weeks of the project I spent an average of 4-5 hours per day a the site just making sure stuff was getting done.

Used CDBarnes for the second store, and it went off flawlessley. I don't think I spent more than an hour any day at the site during construction. Store was completed on time, to spec. I never had any trouble getting a hold of anyone. The project manager was always around, always on top of the subs, and kept an eye on the quality of work being done.

If my experience is typical of what most customers experience when using CDBarnes, I would think that they have an excellent chance at being a very influential company in the future.

Based on this article, Meijer is set to more than double its current size to 400 stores by 2020. That means by the time that year arrives Meijer should be worth around 30 billion dollars. I don't know exactly how big Alticore is or what its growth patterns are. But I think Meijer will be poised to surpass them in size and local economic influence sometime in the foreseeable future.

Perrigo is on the list and very important to West Michigan but probably not the most important. I know they were on the list of potential companies that could move downtown GR. I have heard that they are looking at building a new corportate office building in Allegan. Good for Allegan but maybe not so good for downtown GR.

Smiths isn't even Smiths anymore. It's GE Aerospace in case you missed it. Here's hoping that GE keeps the local Smiths presence the way it is. What other companies on that list are potential acquisition targets?

Here's one from way waaaay out in left field. I once heard that there was a plan all worked out between Fred Meijer and Sam Walton that put in place the foundation that once both men had passed away, Wal Mart would absorb Meijer and convert all Meijer stores to Wal Marts. Normal, everyday, rational (at least in appearance) adults were discussing this secret plan. Can you believe that? I said then and I still say, no way. Anyone else heard this?

Not to toot the horn of the company I work for, but GFT just placed 305th in the Deloitte Fast 500 (third year in a row). 508% growth over a 5 year period and $86 million in revenue, GFT was the 2nd highest ranked company (% growth) in Michigan, but the highest in revenue. The other three companies were all on the east side so we were the only one representing West Mich. :)

Joe

• 3 months later...
I would agree also that Gentex is a little unique as an automotive supplier, and will continue to grow. Their products are so specialized, and they keep patenting new technologies, that they can get the most value for their products (it's hard for automakers to beat them up on price because they have few if any competitors). They're not just making cup-holders and glove boxes.

If they can get their products specified in lower-priced vehicles, they'll really go gang busters. For instance, if the NHTSA ever calls for mandatory rear camera displays or exterior mirror LED turn signals, they'll be in the driver's seat. High-mounted brake lights and airbags were not always standard in vehicles, and in this "safety-paranoia" world, it could happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there was discussion of Perrigo moving their headquarters to downtown GR. I heard today that they are looking at building 30,000-40,000 S.F. corporate office building in Allegan. They may pursue LEED certification but are not 100% sure at this point. Construction could start as early as this fall.

Archived