Great Urban Infill

twoshort

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're also doing some work on a couple of the commercial properties around the corner on Eastern (mustard-colored building in the center below). The Wealthy Street revitalization seems to be spreading South. I couldn't make out what businesses were going in.

314135966_da05939fcc_b.jpg

Actually the mustard color building is being developed by a private developer. I think they are called Plum Investments or something like that. They have been working on it for a long time. It has been in its current state for at least 8 months. Urban Family Ministries has taken over the old Kregel Bookstore which is the building just to the left of the one shone, and the very nicely done mixed use building with the green and white awning shown further below.

Actually the mustard color building is being developed by a private developer. I think they are called Plum Investments or something like that. They have been working on it for a long time. It has been in its current state for at least 8 months. Urban Family Ministries has taken over the old Kregel Bookstore which is the building just to the left of the one shone, and the very nicely done mixed use building with the green and white awning shown further below.

That mustard color building is for Urban Family Ministries...they also now have the old Kregel used bookstore building next door (also in the photo). I'm pretty sure someone gave the "mustard color" building to Calvary Church and we used it for storage for a while before giving it to Urban Family Ministries (great people and a great organization, by the way!)

Do you know if they plan on any exterior changes to the Kregel store? It looks pretty outdated, and urban ministries typically do not have very much money.

It would be a shame if it just stayed the same when other buildings around it are getting face lifts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you all might be pleased to know that, partly due to this post, my family has successfully bid on the "little taste of a home that needs a good rehabbing"... It's really a great not-so-little house, we'll be starting the rehab come mid january! I think she's definitely a diamond in the rough and we'll make her shine once more. Uptown here we come!

And, if anyone from ICCF is on hangin around, thanks for tearing that eyesore down across the street! Can't wait to see what you build in it's place :thumbsup:

There are a bunch of homes similar to this being built on a lot of the vacant parcels in this area. Next door is a little taste of a home that needs a good rehabbing:

314135948_a73ee4a723_b.jpg

I'd take more neighborhood revitalization over a 40 story office tower any day (OK, a new 40 story office building would be nice too).

Thought you all might be pleased to know that, partly due to this post, my family has successfully bid on the "little taste of a home that needs a good rehabbing"... It's really a great not-so-little house, we'll be starting the rehab come mid january! I think she's definitely a diamond in the rough and we'll make her shine once more. Uptown here we come!

OK, now I'm no longer confused...this is the Urban Family Ministries Building we were talking about. It's changed so much I guess I didn't recognize it.

quote]

Here's some additional info on the plans Urban Family Ministries has for the old Kregel building. Both the building they are currently in, and the one with the green awnings, were owned by Kregel at one point. One was the bookstore, the other was a warehouse.

Rapid Growth

• 3 months later...

My brother and I painted houses for ICCF some years ago. I've always liked how the homes looked more like restored old homes than freshly build ones which they were. Granted the interiors are more or less plain Jane, its always amazes on how ICCF homes look so good given their construction is funded on donated time and money.

Archived