General Memphis Photos, Past and Present

Rardy

^ They can definitely look cheap if not designed and built to high standards, but if done right they can be nice structures that add alot to the urban character of a city, esp. a city with an older urban character to its downtown like Memphis. IMO at least.

They can certainly help mix things up in a skyline, but all too often they end up looking quite cheap and "plastic-ey" due to the materials used in the exteriors, and they often borrow elements from other contemporary designs wholesale, effectively making them indistinguishable from other buildings being completed elsewhere.

Then you have people like Michael Graves who is hailed as a genius for throwing as many random pieces of architectural flair at anything he designs, leaving a city marred by terrible architecture for years to come.

From there I could rant about "gimmick" architects like Gehry or Libeskind all day, but I'll spare you all the diatribe.

It's hip to rail against Modernism, but there is something to be said about restraint.

They can certainly help mix things up in a skyline, but all too often they end up looking quite cheap and "plastic-ey" due to the materials used in the exteriors, and they often borrow elements from other contemporary designs wholesale, effectively making them indistinguishable from other buildings being completed elsewhere.

Then you have people like Michael Graves who is hailed as a genius for throwing as many random pieces of architectural flair at anything he designs, leaving a city marred by terrible architecture for years to come.

From there I could rant about "gimmick" architects like Gehry or Libeskind all day, but I'll spare you all the diatribe.

It's hip to rail against Modernism, but there is something to be said about restraint.

Yeah I wouldn't want any of those buildings(if you could call them that) in Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

Neo took this pic and posted it in the main photos forum. it's really cool cause it captures the abrupt transition from urban to rural:

119322877_3ef753c839_b.jpg

I find it so interesting that the city does not continue at all on the other side of the river. Most river cities, even those bordering states, have some representation on the opposite bank of the river.

I find it so interesting that the city does not continue at all on the other side of the river. Most river cities, even those bordering states, have some representation on the opposite bank of the river.

how old is this pic? the colors make it seem a tad aged, but I think I see the forum, so I'm not really sure...and I agree, but the rice fields make it where development is allowed a tad further inland.

West Memphis if I'm not mistaken is almost 8 miles away. The problem is those fields are flood plains - and they flood frequently. No feasible way to build there. It actually makes for great views from downtown. It is really cool to watch the storms roll across Arkansas into Memphis from there.

I'm not nearly as good as Octacon, but here are 44 pics I have taken over the past 6 months. These are the ones I thought were worthy of posting on here. The pics where taken with a Kodak CX7300 digital camera.

This will take 3 posts since there is a limit of 20 pics per post. This is part 1.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

We'll start at Shelby Farms. Here is a pic some of you have been waiting for.

UP1.jpg

UP2.jpg

UP3.jpg

UP4.jpg

Next lets head to the fair! These were taken on a pretty cloudy day, and when I started to leave it started raining.

UP5.jpg

These were taken off the tallest ferris wheel there.

UP6.jpg

UP7.jpg

UP8.jpg

Heres the LB. It has a great design.

UP9.jpg

UP10.jpg

Heres the Orange Mound Tower as I like to call it. I'm not sure what it used to be, but it makes a great billboard.

UP11.jpg

This is the Lipscomb & Pitts Building off Poplar Ave. by the Union and Poplar interchange.

UP12.jpg

Downtown behind a mountain of trees.

UP13.jpg

Not sure what this building is called, but I think its a retirement home. Its at the zoo entrance off Poplar.

UP17.jpg

Heading into downtown.

UP14.jpg

Theres the church before it burned down.

UP15.jpg

UP16.jpg

UP18.jpg

UP19.jpg

Heading down Front.

UP20.jpg