Jump to content

General Memphis Photos, Past and Present


Rardy

Recommended Posts

  • 3 months later...

On 11/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, VSRJ said:

Memphis' tree canopy will always be one of my favorite things about the city (and one of the things I miss most living in Nashville).

DJI_0458.thumb.jpg.ba5ae777773b04f7dea7f0c98eec0c1b.jpg

As the Creme de Memph blogspot put it, it looks like a shag carpet. Love the urban forest of Memphis. Love the trees. The soil here is so rich. Thanks for posting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

A few from downtown yesterday…

Very nice.  The character of the architecture is always aesthetically pleasing to view. So many details to look at and appreciate.  
 

Memphis may not have all the glassy skyscrapers, it may look stagnant and old, but who cares. Form follows function. History, charm and character fit Memphis.  It doesn’t mean that there isn’t room for more high rises though. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s hard to believe two of the tallest downtown Memphis buildings are both long vacant and continuing to deteriorate.  Sadly, both 100 North Main Street and the Sterick Building have  become highly visible, monuments to  urban blight.  The prospects for renovation of either building are low, especially in the current economy.  This situation has been going on for many years and remains a huge eyesore and negative for all of Memphis. 

Edited by dxfret
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dxfret said:

It’s hard to believe two of the tallest downtown Memphis buildings are both long vacant and continuing to deteriorate.  Sadly, both 100 North Main Street and the Sterick Building have  become highly visible, monuments to  urban blight.  The prospects for renovation of either building are low, especially in the current economy.  This situation has been going on for many years and remains a huge eyesore and negative for all of Memphis. 

 

Is it that hard to believe?  You post it once a week on almost every single thread.  Cool screen name bro.

D Generation X GIFs | Tenor

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2022 at 4:08 PM, dxfret said:

It’s hard to believe two of the tallest downtown Memphis buildings are both long vacant and continuing to deteriorate.  Sadly, both 100 North Main Street and the Sterick Building have  become highly visible, monuments to  urban blight.  The prospects for renovation of either building are low, especially in the current economy.  This situation has been going on for many years and remains a huge eyesore and negative for all of Memphis. 

🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not only South Main/SoFo area, but the Pinch and the Walk area too. The wait may be a while, but this is a marathon and not a sprint. Memphis is a unique/different animal from most cities. The way Memphis' downtown is oriented to the Mississippi River is different from STL and NOLA (Skyscrapers vs. high-rises, tallest buildings farthest away from the river, etc.) - and that's a good thing. No cookie cutter here.

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Not only South Main/SoFo area, but the Pinch and the Walk area too. The wait may be a while, but this is a marathon and not a sprint. Memphis is a unique/different animal from most cities. The way Memphis' downtown is oriented to the Mississippi River is different from STL and NOLA (Skyscrapers vs. high-rises, tallest buildings farthest away from the river, etc.) - and that's a good thing. No cookie cutter here.

Downtown's layout format is made for a long (snake like) skyline. Coming from AR into Memphis. You can see how every tall building is lined up next to each other from North to South.

If plans come along.The Pinch Development would connect the North end with 100 N. Main. And possibly whatever the Marriott draft together in their expansion. Hoping and wishing the land where Loews was building would get something.

 

The only plans to fullfill some empty space in the middle is The Walk. Theres alot of surface lots between 3rd and East towards Danny Thomas to build . 

 

The South End like I said have alot of potential since that's been the popular growth downtown. One Beale whenever it finishes should be the anchor of the new mid to high rise going South. The land where the Clipper and Hotel was proposed is prime land for something new and other nearby land, all the way to the South Bluff towers. Would be a long skyline when things shape up.

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Downtown's layout format is made for a long (snake like) skyline. Coming from AR into Memphis. You can see how every tall building is lined up next to each other from North to South.

If plans come along.The Pinch Development would connect the North end with 100 N. Main. And possibly whatever the Marriott draft together in their expansion. Hoping and wishing the land where Loews was building would get something.

 

The only plans to fullfill some empty space in the middle is The Walk. Theres alot of surface lots between 3rd and East towards Danny Thomas to build . 

 

The South End like I said have alot of potential since that's been the popular growth downtown. One Beale whenever it finishes should be the anchor of the new mid to high rise going South. The land where the Clipper and Hotel was proposed is prime land for something new and other nearby land, all the way to the South Bluff towers. Would be a long skyline when things shape up.

Very good points. When the Pinch plans come to fruition, the skyline will look great looking west from I-40, but especially if the area around Second and Third between Madison and Jefferson can developed. I believe after the Waterfront district is fully developed, attention will probably turn east to the South End, as you have stated (Mulberry/Second/Third). If the Clipper can get done it would help push development further east too. I wouldn't mind seeing heights of the Clipper and One Beale around the SoFo area. So yes, the skyline will be long.  Can't wait to see that come to pass.

Lowe's should consider the Pinch when things take off there. While we're at it, no glass high rises please. It wouldn't be seamless. I like the idea of capping part of Danny Thomas as part of the Walk's plans. Maybe the whole thing should be capped so there's more of a connection with downtown. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Very good points. When the Pinch plans come to fruition, the skyline will look great looking west from I-40, but especially if the area around Second and Third between Madison and Jefferson can developed. I believe after the Waterfront district is fully developed, attention will probably turn east to the South End, as you have stated (Mulberry/Second/Third). If the Clipper can get done it would help push development further east too. I wouldn't mind seeing heights of the Clipper and One Beale around the SoFo area. So yes, the skyline will be long.  Can't wait to see that come to pass.

Lowe's should consider the Pinch when things take off there. While we're at it, no glass high rises please. It wouldn't be seamless. I like the idea of capping part of Danny Thomas as part of the Walk's plans. Maybe the whole thing should be capped so there's more of a connection with downtown. 

It will look good, but it won't look continuous.  There will be a gap between downtown and the Pinch.  There's a 3 block gap between 100 N Main and the Sheraton with the highest buildings being 11-13 floors tall from the governmental buildings.  The Sheraton is 18 stories tall, then there's I-40 before you get to any of the planned Pinch buildings.  Loew's would have been  good to help fill in a little, and Trinity tower would have also been helpful.  The biggest problem is the block between Poplar and Exchange.  There's no height there whatsoever with the Canon Center, Federal Reserve, and First Methodist/Presb churches.  It's an abrupt end to the skyline, and picks back up a little with the Sheraton, but then there's another block or greater gap from the Sheraton to Jackson with no height.  .  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

It will look good, but it won't look continuous.  There will be a gap between downtown and the Pinch.  There's a 3 block gap between 100 N Main and the Sheraton with the highest buildings being 11-13 floors tall from the governmental buildings.  The Sheraton is 18 stories tall, then there's I-40 before you get to any of the planned Pinch buildings.  Loew's would have been  good to help fill in a little, and Trinity tower would have also been helpful.  The biggest problem is the block between Poplar and Exchange.  There's no height there whatsoever with the Canon Center, Federal Reserve, and First Methodist/Presb churches.  It's an abrupt end to the skyline, and picks back up a little with the Sheraton, but then there's another block or greater gap from the Sheraton to Jackson with no height.  .  

No it won’t be continuous but at least it will be seamless in a way that there isn’t a complete blank canvas in the Pinch district. The original master plan had mostly the same height for everything which I did not like. By seamless I mean that even though there’s the I-40 barrier, the eye won’t stop there. As long as there’s something along the height of Sheraton at the Pinch I will be satisfied.  I don’t see why Loews can’t build there too. Maybe something can still be built where trinity would’ve been and next to it. That would be really nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.