General Memphis Photos, Past and Present

Rardy

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 11:27 AM, dxfret said:

No negativity towards Memphis but these are two vastly different cities.  Catching up with Nashville simply is not going to happen.   By every measure (economy, corporate, employment, education, tourism, conventions, etc.) Nashville is light years ahead.   Nashville and it’s MSA is one the nation’s fastest-growing cities, while the Memphis MSA remains stagnant and the city of Memphis has a declining population.  

Whether that's the case or not, Nashvillians should have enough confidence in their city to not feel the need to bite back at Memphis like that.  In my opinion Memphis is our sibling and we should be sending nothing but positive energy their way. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 2:42 PM, dxfret said:

I know of no other US city with such large downtown towers that are sitting empty for years

Just go upstream and you will find a city with an empty tower with 1 million sq ft of office space inside

Memphis may not be 'booming', but it's very obviously moving forward, not stagnant, and certainly not going backwards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stellar. I like it!

On 11/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, VSRJ said:

I took a stroll through the newly opened Central Station Hotel this afternoon. It's a stunningly beautiful example of adaptive reuse. I highly recommend checking it out next time you're in the area:

E212FDAF-6A32-478B-A6E3-92A03BC0A5D1.thumb.JPG.4c18df7485b2b3b4b253e5e1c5c97002.JPG

BA6CFF54-DE76-477F-8C8C-2EF7607A37A7.thumb.JPG.98d9ba8538af97d420c4d403161cba54.JPG

72289E2E-7F83-432C-8C82-2DBDE458F3A9.thumb.JPG.84270752ca3f6bc0118971830be1b6be.JPG

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Remarkable website containing lots of information on historic buildings in Memphis. The city has some great structures. Hopefully those remaining can be saved/preserved/restored/renovated. 

http://landmarkandlegend.com/

Great site.  Some on the threatened list have been renovated/redeveloped since that page was updated.

Tennessee Brewery:

tennessee-brewery01-sm.jpg

image.jpeg.3c7d5e01c5a625a7d11ab7a7c8700aef.jpeg

Historic Brewery Gets New Life in Memphis (multihousingnews.com)

See inside: Tennessee Brewery's nearly completed first phase - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Towery Building on Union, back building renovated with a new build up front (The Citizen apartments) 

towrey-holidayinn-sm.jpg

image.jpeg.4d496d8d49b8ea7f75bbba449f00cdc4.jpeg

The Citizen Apartments, 1835 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN - RENTCafé

The Citizen apartments in Midtown filling up - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

• Like 2

Good to know. I actually stayed at that Holiday Inn, but was too young to remember. It was in 1977 and remember a trip my family took out west. We spent the last night at that hotel. Barely remember it... there was underground parking in (what seemed like) a very very tight garage. I remember we had two rooms joined by a common door. There was a restaurant (I guess on the main level). I remember falling asleep in a booth there. It was late. That's all I remember about our 'trip' to Memphis. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but unlike Nashville a lot of Memphis neighborhoods including poorer areas apparently have the electric and phone cables buried underground. I never really thought about it when I lived there but now my slow brain finally took notice.

Anyone know when that all began?

I have to say it really is pleasant not seeing utility poles in these areas.

Edited by bnacincy
Content
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, bnacincy said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but unlike Nashville a lot of Memphis neighborhoods including poorer areas apparently have the electric and phone cables buried underground. I never really thought about it when I lived there but now my slow brain finally took notice.

This is true in a lot of neighborhoods closer to the core (Cooper-Young/Evergreen come to mind)-  I am not sure the history.  I always sort of guessed it was part of revitalization attempts of those neighborhoods in the late 80's/90's perhaps?   Again, just a guess on my part and wasn't really around when those areas saw more investment (I'm close to 40 now).   I would love to see more of this across the city someday.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, bnacincy said:

Yeah, I have no clue when some areas buried their utilities.  Even the Pinch district still has overhead power lines, but I think they are planning on burying those if the big Pinch project moves forward.  But I agree, it looks so much better without them.  You also aren't restricted  with planting trees along the street with the powerlines gone.  I also think they look worse than they used to, because fiberoptic lines have been run on the poles too, so there are twice as many lines running across as there use to be.  

My wife's grandfather (deceased) was from Memphis. He used to proudly talk about his hometown and two things that "Boss Crump" did for the city, buried power lines and paved alleys.  Don't know that to be the case, but I did read something online just now that Crump was a powerful influencer long after his mayoral term ended in 1915.  He didn't trust private utility companies because he thought they would compete against his power. He negotiated a deal in the late 1930s to bring the power of MLGW under the city's ownership and TVA via a distribution line. That said, I don't know if the u/g power lines were done by the private entity or the city did them after that deal. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...