An Inconvenient Truth

Snowguy716

Then I could say we are causing deers to go blind, because there are more blind deer now than 128 years ago when we first started taking data. See where I'm going here? You are talking about a sliver in time. This is the straw man. We don't have enough data to prove this hypothesis either way. Lets preserve the environment, but we shouldn't lose our heads by killing our way of life. The fact is, you or most people will not be willing to make the changes people like Gore advocate, yet don't follow themselves. Catch your breath and be rational.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....We don't have enough data to prove this hypothesis either way. Lets preserve the environment, but we shouldn't lose our heads by killing our way of life. The fact is, you or most people will not be willing to make the changes people like Gore advocate, yet don't follow themselves. Catch your breath and be rational.

Because you've done nothing but discount the research of thousands of scientists with loaded one liners without provided a shred of evidence and it is quite obvious that even if we thumped hard evidence over your head, you'd still be going "well, I'm just not convinced".

It is incredibly frustrating, and I believe Metro is right. If you're so eager to be convinced, then look up the science and read it. Don't be ignorant about the issue and then come in here with your one liners expecting us to try and lay everything out for you. You might try reading the beginning of the thread, and you'll soon see that the quality of its contents took a major turn downwards when people started coming in with their witty one-liners.

the only question remaining in the global warming thing is how much humans are contributing and how much is natural earth process or from the sun.

and then there's the solutions... are they easily affordable, even if everyone is on board, or will they cost trillions?

the only question remaining in the global warming thing is how much humans are contributing and how much is natural earth process or from the sun.

and then there's the solutions... are they easily affordable, even if everyone is on board, or will they cost trillions?

Trillions are being spent on other things much less important, maybe a good house cleaning of where taxes go is in order. Besides, if the choices are spend trillions or see Florida underwater in 100 years, aren't the trillions worth it? Florida could indeed not be underwater in 100 years, but it could cost less than trillions also....

• 3 weeks later...

I want to see a politician or celebrity actually physically live a sustainable life, i.e. in a small condo or something and no car access, etc., instead of just living the high life in a mansion and buying carbon credits to offset it. It's almost like they're just cheating by doing that. I'm not knocking Al Gore or Leonardo DiCaprio, because obviously they have certain needs being famous, but it'd still be nice to see someone actually practice what they preach beyond driving a Prius and buying credits.

Very high profile people unfortunately have to protect themselves from the public and photographers who don't respect people's privacy. National politician's such as former presidents and vice presidents also have the issue of assassins who might decide to take a shot or two at them. It's difficult to live in a simple modest place when you have these issues.

Very high profile people unfortunately have to protect themselves from the public and photographers who don't respect people's privacy. National politician's such as former presidents and vice presidents also have the issue of assassins who might decide to take a shot or two at them. It's difficult to live in a simple modest place when you have these issues.

Al Gore will always be a few steps ahead of the conservatives that try to bring him down with their spineless character assassinations: At least he acknowledges the issue and is pushing for change. Most Americans just whine and complain when their grocery bills go up without thinking for a second as to why those prices might have gone up.

In the last year, we had a record breaking heatwave in California that killed thousands of animals and withered the orange crops to nothing, only to be frozen solid in January while the rest of hte nation basked in record setting warmth.

Now two weeks after temperatures smashed records with 80*F as far north as central Minnesota we've seen freezing weather all the way down into the deep south that has killed off crops again.

You can call it "natural causes", but you won't find a whinier crowd at the grocery store than those patriotic soccer moms and their Nascar loving husbands.

are you attributing freezing temperatures to global warming?

as for al gore, there's no excuse for him to not practice what he preaches. change starts with yourself and the moves outward. you can't go telling people to drive hybrids, use alternative ways of powering your home, reduce your energy use, etc, etc, etc without doing it yourself.

I agree that he should lead by example, but I won't deny him his choice to live the way he wants. If he can afford to buy and maintain a multi-thousand square foot home, good for him.

It only becomes an issue for me when he, or any other politician, begins to infringe on my personal choices.

I agree that he should lead by example, but I won't deny him his choice to live the way he wants. If he can afford to buy and maintain a multi-thousand square foot home, good for him.

It only becomes an issue for me when he, or any other politician, begins to infringe on my personal choices.

I want to see a politician or celebrity actually physically live a sustainable life, i.e. in a small condo or something and no car access, etc., instead of just living the high life in a mansion and buying carbon credits to offset it. It's almost like they're just cheating by doing that. I'm not knocking Al Gore or Leonardo DiCaprio, because obviously they have certain needs being famous, but it'd still be nice to see someone actually practice what they preach beyond driving a Prius and buying credits.

Al Gore will always be a few steps ahead of the conservatives that try to bring him down with their spineless character assassinations: At least he acknowledges the issue and is pushing for change. Most Americans just whine and complain when their grocery bills go up without thinking for a second as to why those prices might have gone up.

You can call it "natural causes", but you won't find a whinier crowd at the grocery store than those patriotic soccer moms and their Nascar loving husbands.

I don't get this, thousands of years ago after the Ice age ended, large swathes of land were flooded by a large amount of melting icecaps. This had nothing to do with human activity. Why is everyone so sure we are responsible for this round of melting? We maybe responsible, but I haven't seen the hard evidence just yet. I know I'm in the minority here.

I think the hysteria here is a bit unwaranted. The oceans have yet to rise due to this masive melting, yet there are predictions that Manhatten will be swallowed in the next 10-20 years. Even if we are responsible, what do you do about China and India who are the largest new contributers to CO-2 rise? They will never stop growing.

I think driving a Prius is quite alot, if one is able to afford it. If I could afford it, I would certainly be driving one. Until that time comes (probably not during this administration, needless to say) I will do everything I can to the extent which I can afford to do it.

Archived