Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I believe Muskegon only has flights to and from Chicago. I think I've only ever met one person who has actually flown in there, but they were coming from another small airport that only served Chicago, so it was basically the same price as flying to GRR.

I’ve flown there before when it was cheaper than grr and requires a layover anyways. The point is for the 50k ppl or so a year that use Muskegon they could come consolidate to GRR and add a couple more daily flights. Not too many metros this size have two commercial airports a half hour apart

11 hours ago, GR8scott said:

I’ve flown there before when it was cheaper than grr and requires a layover anyways. The point is for the 50k ppl or so a year that use Muskegon they could come consolidate to GRR and add a couple more daily flights. Not too many metros this size have two commercial airports a half hour apart

Technically speaking MKG is not in this metro since Muskegon County is considered statistically separate from GR's metro.   Yes to your overall point though MKG is unnecessary and redundant IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:26 AM, GR8scott said:

Overall very exciting but can believe there’s still no mention of tunneling under the north runway for direct access to 96 or  built with the new commercial runway mentioned, hope that happens would cut drivetime down a lot to downtown and releave 28th at 96 quite a bit

This ship sailed years ago, like the late 60's. The 36th St exit is supposed to offer the chance for a 2nd entrance but the road needs to go under the railroad and the runway. Look to the north the next time you leave the airport and look how much lower the north runway is than the terminal area. Can it be done?, yes but it will be expensive. One can avoid 28th and 96 right now by using the 36th St interchange.

15 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

This ship sailed years ago, like the late 60's. The 36th St exit is supposed to offer the chance for a 2nd entrance but the road needs to go under the railroad and the runway. Look to the north the next time you leave the airport and look how much lower the north runway is than the terminal area. Can it be done?, yes but it will be expensive. One can avoid 28th and 96 right now by using the 36th St interchange.

You and I are just the bearers of bad news lately. :rofl:  Or otherwise known as "reality." 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, walker said:

Heard a rumor today but can't verify it that American Airlines is going to start daily service to Miami starting in mid December.   Don't know if this will just be seasonal or will be all year.  Maybe they don't know yet either. 

Rumor is true, still not announced, probably won't be till later this week, but American has loaded the new route into their computer.  First flight from Miami is December 19 with the first flight to Miami next morning at 6:05 AM from GRR.   I don't think they've got all the real fares posted yet but just some fake place holders at least for December (over $2000 round trip for non-refundable coach ticket.)  But here are the times along with a more reasonable fare for random dates I entered for January:

2079485860_GRR-MIA.thumb.png.f83d7efd6b76f54ba203c299372f139e.png

EDIT: OK, remember you read it here first - here's the announcement for people who don't read urbanplanet:

Mlive: Grand Rapids - Miami

Edited by walker
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, walker said:

Rumor is true, still not announced, probably won't be till later this week, but American has loaded the new route into their computer.  First flight from Miami is December 19 with the first flight to Miami next morning at 6:05 AM from GRR.   I don't think they've got all the real fares posted yet but just some fake place holders at least for December (over $2000 round trip for non-refundable coach ticket.)  But here are the times along with a more reasonable fare for random dates I entered for January:

2079485860_GRR-MIA.thumb.png.f83d7efd6b76f54ba203c299372f139e.png

EDIT: OK, remember you read it here first - here's the announcement for people who don't read urbanplanet:

Mlive: Grand Rapids - Miami

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/07/grand_rapids_airport_to_offer.html

Interesting that its with a regional carrier. Generally there is a scope clause regarding distance and/or passenger limit a regional can take versus actually having a union pilot. I'd guess going this route saved them money using the smaller plane.

A little surprising that they added MIA but not at all surprised its on American Eagle, I wouldn't think the demand is huge with all the other FL offerings out of GRR and is within range of the RJ's. If you look at MIA nonstop flights GRR is the smallest market served outside a few in the Southeast.  I hope these flights remain full and demand a second daily time before a larger aircraft. I fly a lot and dont mind the RJ's other than they are less likely to have entertainment options. There are some other airports I would have thought be added before MIA like LAX, PHX, BOS or JFK, but in the case of PHX and LAX larger planes would probably be necessary due to range. LAX could and should be added by Alligiant as it has MD88s and serves other smaller midwest markets with that and also surprised there are no PHX offerings as a hub/focus city for American, Southwest and Frontier all having midsized aircraft that could accommodate. BOS and JFK would be tougher but Delta has hubs at both and is the primary carrier out of GRR so possible. And the airport has stated that a customs center will be added with international flights in mind so I'm sure they are trying to get Cancun and maybe Toronto back although customs isnt necessary. Overall exciting times at GRR and love to see the progress, looks like as some of these projects complete over the next few years, expanded destinations and offerings are the goal. 

On 7/8/2018 at 5:12 PM, Raildude's dad said:

haha not that long ago that the runway didn't exist and the road went straight through there. Anyhow, my point was if the long term plan to actually rebuild and expand that runway anyway, that would be the time, it would make a lot of sense to do it and isnt some pipe dream, Holland doesn't have nearly the air or automotive traffic and added one about 10 years ago. There isnt a larger airport in the country that is adjacent to an interstate and doesn't provide direct access, its like the back is against it. I would think GR, MDOT and maybe other agencies would be interested in providing the releaf and creating a shorter and easier route to downtown for thousands every day. 

Just had a corporate suit fly in that had not passed through our airport in roughly 5 years. In meeting him at the baggage claim, the 2nd statement after hello was "Man, Grand Rapids sure seems to be growing!" Amazing how an airport gives a representation of a city/metro area. I then joked about all of the cities I have" been to" because of connecting flights and based an opinion off of the airport. Glad that the airport is creating a great first impression. 

Edited by BLUESCRUBS
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, arcturus said:

There's been a large, low flying, 4 engine grey jet without identification flying around the airport the past few days.  Looks like some kind of training exercise maybe.

I saw that on my lunch break today. It looked like it was hardly gaining any altitude and was banking pretty sharply over the corner of 36th and Patterson.

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

What are the really really long commercial jets that have a very low profile? I saw one flying out of GRR the other day at really close range and wondered how the heck that thing stays in the air. :)

If it's Delta it's the MD-88 or MD-90. They're being phased out over the next couple years. United and Delta also fly CRJ 700/900s out of GR which look similar, but are even smaller. Lastly, we get some 717s which also have an awkward shape. 

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

There's been a large, low flying, 4 engine grey jet without identification flying around the airport the past few days.  Looks like some kind of training exercise maybe.

It's a National Disaster Medical System emergency exercise and the plane is a KC-135 refueling tanker. It does some touch and gos from time to time as well. 

Edited by kwl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kwl said:

If it's Delta it's the MD-88 or MD-90. They're being phased out over the next couple years. United and Delta also fly CRJ 700/900s out of GR which look similar, but are even smaller. Lastly, we get some 717s which also have an awkward shape. 

It's a National Disaster Medical System emergency exercise and the plane is a KC-135 refueling tanker. It does some touch and gos from time to time as well. 

It was definitely an MD-88 or 90. 

Delta_MD-90_N910DN.jpg

I've seen that gray plane circle the area and touch-n-go at the airport for over 20 years. I used to work by the airport and would sit at the viewing area at lunch once in a while. That may have been 25 years ago now...   I've seen it a lot less now, maybe because the airport has gotten busier? 

p6xCCGcR_bigger.jpegFlyGRFord @FlyGRFord
FollowFollow @FlyGRFord
More

We are HALFWAY to three million passengers this year after another record-breaking month! June 2018 numbers are up 17.5-percent, and it marked our busiest June ever!! Thank you, West Michigan - we appreciate you flying local, flying GRR!

Crazy growth continues.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, arcturus said:

The tie-in between a city's airport and its convention business with some eye opening numbers about 20 Monroe, hotel bookings, and the challenges faced.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/91149-bigger-cities-challenge-grand-rapids-convention-market

interesting article and although the airport helps facilitate conventions, it was mentioned they have a hard time getting the attention to even be considered. Sports gets national television coverage and being a minor league city and largest one without a single D1 college program, I have always though GR should put in a bid for the opening rounds of NCAA tournament or at very least big ten tourneys or other nationally televised events, which may get the attention of people who make those kinds of decision. Without having seen the numbers, I wonder how GR stacks up convention-wise with places that are similar/smaller sized like Spokane, Greensboro or Dayton which all seem to regularly host NCAA and have similar airports. 

38 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

interesting article and although the airport helps facilitate conventions, it was mentioned they have a hard time getting the attention to even be considered. Sports gets national television coverage and being a minor league city and largest one without a single D1 college program, I have always though GR should put in a bid for the opening rounds of NCAA tournament or at very least big ten tourneys or other nationally televised events, which may get the attention of people who make those kinds of decision. Without having seen the numbers, I wonder how GR stacks up convention-wise with places that are similar/smaller sized like Spokane, Greensboro or Dayton which all seem to regularly host NCAA and have similar airports. 

I believe a D1 school has to host in the host city, and GVSU unfortunately is too chicken to make the move. If they would, it would open up a whole host of opportunities for college sports in GR.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

I believe a D1 school has to host in the host city, and GVSU unfortunately is too chicken to make the move. If they would, it would open up a whole host of opportunities for college sports in GR.

WMU has actually been the "host" when GR has put in the bid in the past. From what I recall, lack of direct flights in and out of GR and the size of Van Andel were the lead reasons the city was not chosen for a first round NCAA host. I feel the city should try to bid again (2012) feels like a long time ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jdkacz said:

WMU has actually been the "host" when GR has put in the bid in the past. From what I recall, lack of direct flights in and out of GR and the size of Van Andel were the lead reasons the city was not chosen for a first round NCAA host. I feel the city should try to bid again (2012) feels like a long time ago.

I would then wonder if there are any plans to fully wrap the arena. It seems like I remember the south wall being temporary with expansion in mind. That would solve the venue size problem.