joeDowntown

Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

Recommended Posts

For whatever reason, whenever I fly in from Asia (live in Jakarta currently), GRR is the same price or even cheaper than Detroit or Chicago... just annecdotal evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


54 minutes ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/07/9bd13f583b9385/airport_master_plan.html 

Write up on the new Master Plan...

Crazy that the large parking garage hit capacity 51 times between November and March. Anyone know how many packing spots are in that ramp??

This article from when they added the roof says it holds 4140 cars:

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/roof_over_ford_airports_parkin.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an infrastructure guy, I am surprised they would dive into a 3rd terminal AND expand the existing one. Seems almost uneccsary unless there is demand for MANY more flight offerings. I also confirmed from a source that they are looking at customs asap to get international flights as mentioned and that they were in discussions for hotel/gas station but sounds like the control tower would have to happen first according to the article. I am sure it will be taller and since it would have to be moved to the other side, would probably be a lot more visible around.

 

Overall very exciting but can believe there’s still no mention of tunneling under the north runway for direct access to 96 or  built with the new commercial runway mentioned, hope that happens would cut drivetime down a lot to downtown and releave 28th at 96 quite a bit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if the long term plan has  the new concourse C being an international terminal so to speak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:48 AM, BLUESCRUBS said:

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/07/9bd13f583b9385/airport_master_plan.html 

Write up on the new Master Plan...

Crazy that the large parking garage hit capacity 51 times between November and March. Anyone know how many parking spots are in that ramp??

For fear of stating the obvious it looks like they simply underestimated the growth back in the planning stages.  2 years prior to completion if you were to tell people the daily passenger numbers 5 years later would be nearly 3000 more per day you would of probably be laughed out of the room.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arcturus said:

For fear of stating the obvious it looks like they simply underestimated the growth back in the planning stages.  2 years prior to completion if you were to tell people the daily passenger numbers 5 years later would be nearly 3000 more per day you would of probably be laughed out of the room.  

I remember at one point people saying it would be a folly and a major drain on the airport for years to come. Guess no one expected that much growth at the time (we were in the recession). 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 8:59 AM, kwl said:

Any chance Lansing becomes obsolete in the next decade? Only 375k pax in 2017, down from 650k in 2000. 

I've flown Delta Connection between DTW and LAN before. Biggest waste of time as the flight is about 7 minutes long, but pack in all the airport nonsense and it could be driven in about half the time. 

If GR adds direct flights to Cancun, that is only going to continue to strip traffic away from Lansing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jdkacz said:

If GR adds direct flights to Cancun, that is only going to continue to strip traffic away from Lansing.

Probably a little but it’s not going anywhere, it’s still serves way more ppl than most of the commercial airports in the state and since it’s the Capitol, will probably always have chicago, mini, dc served. They lose out more to DTW than anything, I worked there and we all would drive an hour to DTW vs 10 min to LAN as do many of the msuthe Msu students. I find it more interesting that our metro area has two airports with Muskegon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Probably a little but it’s not going anywhere, it’s still serves way more ppl than most of the commercial airports in the state and since it’s the Capitol, will probably always have chicago, mini, dc served. They lose out more to DTW than anything, I worked there and we all would drive an hour to DTW vs 10 min to LAN as do many of the msuthe Msu students. I find it more interesting that our metro area has two airports with Muskegon.

I believe Muskegon only has flights to and from Chicago. I think I've only ever met one person who has actually flown in there, but they were coming from another small airport that only served Chicago, so it was basically the same price as flying to GRR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I believe Muskegon only has flights to and from Chicago. I think I've only ever met one person who has actually flown in there, but they were coming from another small airport that only served Chicago, so it was basically the same price as flying to GRR.

I’ve flown there before when it was cheaper than grr and requires a layover anyways. The point is for the 50k ppl or so a year that use Muskegon they could come consolidate to GRR and add a couple more daily flights. Not too many metros this size have two commercial airports a half hour apart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GR8scott said:

I’ve flown there before when it was cheaper than grr and requires a layover anyways. The point is for the 50k ppl or so a year that use Muskegon they could come consolidate to GRR and add a couple more daily flights. Not too many metros this size have two commercial airports a half hour apart

Technically speaking MKG is not in this metro since Muskegon County is considered statistically separate from GR's metro.   Yes to your overall point though MKG is unnecessary and redundant IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 3:26 AM, GR8scott said:

Overall very exciting but can believe there’s still no mention of tunneling under the north runway for direct access to 96 or  built with the new commercial runway mentioned, hope that happens would cut drivetime down a lot to downtown and releave 28th at 96 quite a bit

This ship sailed years ago, like the late 60's. The 36th St exit is supposed to offer the chance for a 2nd entrance but the road needs to go under the railroad and the runway. Look to the north the next time you leave the airport and look how much lower the north runway is than the terminal area. Can it be done?, yes but it will be expensive. One can avoid 28th and 96 right now by using the 36th St interchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

This ship sailed years ago, like the late 60's. The 36th St exit is supposed to offer the chance for a 2nd entrance but the road needs to go under the railroad and the runway. Look to the north the next time you leave the airport and look how much lower the north runway is than the terminal area. Can it be done?, yes but it will be expensive. One can avoid 28th and 96 right now by using the 36th St interchange.

You and I are just the bearers of bad news lately. :rofl:  Or otherwise known as "reality." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard a rumor today but can't verify it that American Airlines is going to start daily service to Miami starting in mid December.   Don't know if this will just be seasonal or will be all year.  Maybe they don't know yet either. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, walker said:

Heard a rumor today but can't verify it that American Airlines is going to start daily service to Miami starting in mid December.   Don't know if this will just be seasonal or will be all year.  Maybe they don't know yet either. 

Rumor is true, still not announced, probably won't be till later this week, but American has loaded the new route into their computer.  First flight from Miami is December 19 with the first flight to Miami next morning at 6:05 AM from GRR.   I don't think they've got all the real fares posted yet but just some fake place holders at least for December (over $2000 round trip for non-refundable coach ticket.)  But here are the times along with a more reasonable fare for random dates I entered for January:

 2079485860_GRR-MIA.thumb.png.f83d7efd6b76f54ba203c299372f139e.png

EDIT: OK, remember you read it here first - here's the announcement for people who don't read urbanplanet:

Mlive: Grand Rapids - Miami

 

Edited by walker
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, walker said:

Rumor is true, still not announced, probably won't be till later this week, but American has loaded the new route into their computer.  First flight from Miami is December 19 with the first flight to Miami next morning at 6:05 AM from GRR.   I don't think they've got all the real fares posted yet but just some fake place holders at least for December (over $2000 round trip for non-refundable coach ticket.)  But here are the times along with a more reasonable fare for random dates I entered for January:

 2079485860_GRR-MIA.thumb.png.f83d7efd6b76f54ba203c299372f139e.png

EDIT: OK, remember you read it here first - here's the announcement for people who don't read urbanplanet:

Mlive: Grand Rapids - Miami

 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/07/grand_rapids_airport_to_offer.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to see 737's or something similar but hey it's a start.  Maybe demand will have them reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that its with a regional carrier. Generally there is a scope clause regarding distance and/or passenger limit a regional can take versus actually having a union pilot. I'd guess going this route saved them money using the smaller plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A little surprising that they added MIA but not at all surprised its on American Eagle, I wouldn't think the demand is huge with all the other FL offerings out of GRR and is within range of the RJ's. If you look at MIA nonstop flights GRR is the smallest market served outside a few in the Southeast.  I hope these flights remain full and demand a second daily time before a larger aircraft. I fly a lot and dont mind the RJ's other than they are less likely to have entertainment options. There are some other airports I would have thought be added before MIA like LAX, PHX, BOS or JFK, but in the case of PHX and LAX larger planes would probably be necessary due to range. LAX could and should be added by Alligiant as it has MD88s and serves other smaller midwest markets with that and also surprised there are no PHX offerings as a hub/focus city for American, Southwest and Frontier all having midsized aircraft that could accommodate. BOS and JFK would be tougher but Delta has hubs at both and is the primary carrier out of GRR so possible. And the airport has stated that a customs center will be added with international flights in mind so I'm sure they are trying to get Cancun and maybe Toronto back although customs isnt necessary. Overall exciting times at GRR and love to see the progress, looks like as some of these projects complete over the next few years, expanded destinations and offerings are the goal. 

 

On 7/8/2018 at 5:12 PM, Raildude's dad said:

This ship sailed years ago, like the late 60's. The 36th St exit is supposed to offer the chance for a 2nd entrance but the road needs to go under the railroad and the runway. Look to the north the next time you leave the airport and look how much lower the north runway is than the terminal area. Can it be done?, yes but it will be expensive. One can avoid 28th and 96 right now by using the 36th St interchange.

haha not that long ago that the runway didn't exist and the road went straight through there. Anyhow, my point was if the long term plan to actually rebuild and expand that runway anyway, that would be the time, it would make a lot of sense to do it and isnt some pipe dream, Holland doesn't have nearly the air or automotive traffic and added one about 10 years ago. There isnt a larger airport in the country that is adjacent to an interstate and doesn't provide direct access, its like the back is against it. I would think GR, MDOT and maybe other agencies would be interested in providing the releaf and creating a shorter and easier route to downtown for thousands every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the really really long commercial jets that have a very low profile? I saw one flying out of GRR the other day at really close range and wondered how the heck that thing stays in the air. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been a large, low flying, 4 engine grey jet without identification flying around the airport the past few days.  Looks like some kind of training exercise maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a corporate suit fly in that had not passed through our airport in roughly 5 years. In meeting him at the baggage claim, the 2nd statement after hello was "Man, Grand Rapids sure seems to be growing!" Amazing how an airport gives a representation of a city/metro area. I then joked about all of the cities I have" been to" because of connecting flights and based an opinion off of the airport. Glad that the airport is creating a great first impression. 

Edited by BLUESCRUBS
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.