Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

It definitely makes the terminal look a lot bigger. Several larger airports I've been to lately, it's hard to tell where the terminals end and the parking ramps begins.

See, I was thinking the opposite. I think it makes the terminal look really tiny compared to the gigantic parking garage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I met a pilot for Southwest airlines while camping last week, and he twice suggested the idea that Southwest would be great to have at GRR. He even said he'd like to fly out of GRR (he now "commutes" from Detroit Metro to Midway in Chicago every day). He said they're recently set up shop in similar markets like Milwaukee., and he said they are opening in another similar sized market that he couldn't mention yet.

Was Southwest one of the airlines that GRR was "shortlisted" for back during that matching exercise a year or so ago?

• 2 weeks later...

I met a pilot for Southwest airlines while camping last week, and he twice suggested the idea that Southwest would be great to have at GRR. He even said he'd like to fly out of GRR (he now "commutes" from Detroit Metro to Midway in Chicago every day). He said they're recently set up shop in similar markets like Milwaukee., and he said they are opening in another similar sized market that he couldn't mention yet.

Was Southwest one of the airlines that GRR was "shortlisted" for back during that matching exercise a year or so ago?

So they are going to announce new air service at the Ford; anyone want to spill the beans before woodtv?

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand..._for_GR_airport

So they are going to announce new air service at the Ford; anyone want to spill the beans before woodtv?

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand..._for_GR_airport

I'll freak if it's Southwest. :blink: What are the chances?

Check out this editorial in this weekend's GRPress:

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-rapids/...suit_of_lo.html

'A study by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics says that the average fare at Gerald R Ford International Airport is the third highest in the U.S. at $418 per ticket.'

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/grand-1365254-rapids-0in.html

Maybe Allegiant's new direct service to Phoenix might be enough to pull this unwanted rank down even if its just twice a week.

Here's a nice Allegiant Air story. I was in the vicinity of the airport so stopped in to purchase tickets because, oddly as it may sound, you save $15 this way over doing it online. They call it a 'convenience fee'. When I got there I was disappointed to see no one at the counter as their policy states 'airport ticket purchases will be available for one hour following each scheduled departure'. I arrived within 35 minutes of one of their flight departures.

Sent an email to AA explaining it and received a response within a half hour:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Allegiant Air. The ticket counter should have been open when you arrived at the airport. I have refunded the convenience fee on your reservation and sent a new confirmation email. Please allow 5-7 days for the refund to appear on your credit card.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for choosing Allegiant Air.

Round trip to Phoenix - $199.20.

Now thats service. Be careful making reservations though, online or otherwise. They assume you want to check in a bag (extra), want pre-assigned seating (extra), and desire a 'flex' ticket (extra).

Today Delta/Northwest and US Airways announced that they are swapping a large number of paired landing/take-off slots at LaGuardia and Washington National subject to government approval. US Airways will trade 125 paired slots at LaGuardia to Delta for 42 slots at Washington National.

How this would affect Grand Rapids is that Delta/Northwest would no longer fly their pair of non-stop flights between Grand Rapids and Washington. US Airways as part of the announcement stated that it intends to return to Grand Rapids and fly the Grand Rapids / Washington route. Hopefully when they return they will return with more than the one flight pair that Delta is dropping. I'll have to dig out my US Air frequent flyer card.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9081202558.html

Edited by walker

• 2 weeks later...

A way off and subject to change but looking at next year flights just noticed Grand Rapids/Phoenix route ramps up to 3/wk in Feb then 4/wk March & April for Alliegiant Air. Guess the folks in Phoenix just love GR late winter, early spring :)

Cactus league spring training anyone?

• 3 weeks later...