Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

49 minutes ago, walker said:

Interesting that they are using the much bigger A319 on the PHX route compared to the ERJ175 on the new Miami route,  A319 124 seats vs ERJ175 76 seats.   I think the choice was because the ERJ175 range might be just a few miles short of making it to Phoenix.  The A319 is a nice mainline plane but it is going to be little tougher to fill the plane.     

That’s the mainline vs. American Eagle....but yes range may be the reason. The only flight of comparable distance would be Nearby Mesa and Vegas on md88s also not regional jet. Frontier also uses airbus 319s so it will be interesting going from nothing to two airlines using  midsized planes  on that route. Hope it sells well and eventually get flights to LAX!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, walker said:

Interesting that they are using the much bigger A319 on the PHX route compared to the ERJ175 on the new Miami route,  A319 124 seats vs ERJ175 76 seats.   I think the choice was because the ERJ175 range might be just a few miles short of making it to Phoenix.  The A319 is a nice mainline plane but it is going to be little tougher to fill the plane.     

Allegiant hasn't had any trouble the last six years filling an MD-88  flying into an airport forty miles outside of the center of Phoenix.  I'm not sure why you're first assumption would be that American will have a tougher time filling a smaller aircraft  that will fly into the much more convenient, centrally located hub.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys will be happy to hear that I booked our Spring Break trip to fly out of GRR. :P  For 4 of us it was only about $300 more than DTW or Chicago and that's a small enough gap for the convenience. 

I've never flown Allegiant before though, didn't know I had to pay for my seat in addition to my ticket. :rofl:  "Would you like oxygen in your cabin sir? It's extra." 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

You guys will be happy to hear that I booked our Spring Break trip to fly out of GRR. :P  For 4 of us it was only about $300 more than DTW or Chicago and that's a small enough gap for the convenience. 

I've never flown Allegiant before though, didn't know I had to pay for my seat in addition to my ticket. :rofl:  "Would you like oxygen in your cabin sir? It's extra." 

But did you see this?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PR6P3bmcrs

Edited by mpchicago

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm flying Allegiant in under a month, ending up spending nearly $100 extra per ticket just for selecting seat, legroom, and luggage. I'll let you know how bad it is it goes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Well it is a flight to Orlando, not quite convinced landing there safely would be much better...

Haha. :rofl: Now that my kids are old enough and don't want anything to do with Orlando (thank god), I call it the place where dreams go to die or at least be utterly annoyed every day that you're there. :)

We're flying to St Pete/Clearwater which is only a 2.5 hour flight. Way less time to have a plane malfunction I figure. And no layovers!!

• 1 month later...

Still no rendering but they should be starting Phase 2 soon. New food and beverage options in the check in/baggage claim area.

Anybody have a PDF of what they are planning? 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/11/multimillion-dollar_constructi.html

Edited by BLUESCRUBS

4 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Still no rendering but they should be starting Phase 2 soon. New food and beverage options in the check in/baggage claim area.

Anybody have a PDF of what they are planning? 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/11/multimillion-dollar_constructi.html

West-Ticketing-After.jpg?zoom=1.25&resiz

Bag-Claim-After.jpg?zoom=1.25&resize=604

I don't know but the 20 year plan looks like GRR is going to be like a real airport!

MasterPlanMap2.jpg?resize=768,436&ssl=1

https://www.wktvjournal.org/tag/jim-gill/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GR8scott said:

. Still nothing on a tunnel/direct interstate connection though! 

It's not going to happen.  I heard a presentation by the Airport Facilities Engineer on this plan a month ago and the subject came up. Technically it's feasible but the grades are a challenge. From a homeland security perspective, the tunnel under a live runway is a problem.

• Thanks 1

Hmm,  it’s just a GA runway not used commercially much like Holland’s, which has Bluestar Highway going underneath it. And This could be closed off to through traffic. Besides there’s plenty of other examples LAX, ATL come to mind. With the traffic growth MDOT should want to get all those extra cars off that quarter mi stretch of 28th. Anyhow I’m probably beating a dead horse Here,  I’ll just keep suggesting it to the airport ;)

I don’t understand people’s fascination/ obsession with a tunnel.  1) the airport isn’t difficult to get to. 2) there are two expressway interchanges within a few miles. 

Is it a “we want a tunnel!” thing or is there really a need that I’m not seeing for a tunnel?  I imagine a tunnel is incredibly expensive and I can think of 99 other projects at the airport that is like to see before a tunnel. 

Joe

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t understand people’s fascination/ obsession with a tunnel.  1) the airport isn’t difficult to get to. 2) there are two expressway interchanges within a few miles. 

Is it a “we want a tunnel!” thing or is there really a need that I’m not seeing for a tunnel?  I imagine a tunnel is incredibly expensive and I can think of 99 other projects at the airport that is like to see before a tunnel. 

Joe

I don't think anyone besides @GR8scott has ever brought it up on this forum.  I respect GR8scott's passion for the idea but I don't see the need either.  And 36th Street is the closest airport exit, not 28th Street.  The highway signs on I-96 even say so.

Edited by RegalTDP

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

I don't think anyone besides @GR8scott has ever brought it up on this forum.  I respect GR8scott's passion for the idea but I don't see the need either.  And 36th Street is the closest airport exit, not 28th Street.  The highway signs on I-96 even say so.

Haha, maybe I see the same person posting and think it’s 100 voices. :) I know others have brought it up, and I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy, it just seems like a lot of money for little reward. I am excited about the long term plans for the airport though.

does anyone know the current timeline for building a new (taller) air traffic tower? I know that was mentioned recently. 

Joe

14 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

I've mentioned it a few times too. Mainly because the larger busier airports I've been to have direct highway access (ie the highway exit ramp feeds right into the airport traffic area). Our's feels like you have to go down a bunch of backstreets through industrial parks to get there (if you're not from here especially).  I'm good with whatever, just lower the d*mn fares. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t understand people’s fascination/ obsession with a tunnel.  1) the airport isn’t difficult to get to. 2) there are two expressway interchanges withinADD a few miles. 

Joe

may have just been me a hundred times lol but it’s obviously on the radar at the airport. It’s not that I’m obsessed with tunnels it’s more of my nerdy interest with all things infrastructure, Although they are cool it’s more of a biproduct of what I think a long term vision needs better access. IMHO GR has historically had a very Small town mindset on infrastructure.  The airport has it back to an interstate. You have to make a right turn then another right turn then another right turn to get onto it and although that’s not complicated, This is the first impression for many visitors And it unnecessarily puts thousands more cars per day on a small stretch of the busiest street in the state that is 28th st. Another example of GR being the tallest midget here, I can’t think of a larger airport in the country adjacent to an expressway that doesn’t have a more direct access for convience to travelers... moving on, cant say I’m not completely impressed by the growth and also the airports’ recognition and foresight to improve the front, expand the concourse, and even try to add capacity for international flights, And icing on the cake the FAA building a new and probably larger and even more visible control tower which is cool

Edited by GR8scott

I agree with GRdad. It's not a need at the moment, but some direct connection from the freeway to the airport would help out wonders in the future to alleviate traffic once there is enough development built up around the airport. My opinion, it would be smart to build it now before it becomes a hassle to build around other developments.

• Like 1

A tunnel would be cool, but I can't really see it happening in the next 20-30 years.  I think GRR would have a foot a majority of the bill.  Which I would think would be hundreds of millions.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20, but they should have considered highway access when relocating the airport.  It's close to the highway, but in an awkward, kind of too close, unaccessible kind of way

If the airport and entrance we rotated 180 degrees it would make for much easier access to the highway.  I wasn't around during the time it was built, but I would imagine there wasn't much out there and they just figured 28th street would work fine.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:23 PM, Floyd_Z said:

. . . I wasn't around during the time it was built, but I would imagine there wasn't much out there and they just figured 28th street would work fine.

I was around.  When the airport was built and for several years after, the terminal wasn’t on a cul-de-sac.  Kraft Ave. went through from 28th Street by the expressway entrance/exit to the terminal.  Coming from the city, that’s how most people got there.  There was no north east-west runway blocking Kraft until many years later.   

Edited by walker
  • Like 1