Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

I was around too, just not old enough to get out that way. But I have  access to the road records that show 44th, 36th and Patterson were gravel roads until the airport was under construction.  You have to keep in mind the I-96 traffic count beyond Whitneyville when it opened was 2500 cars / day, today, 51,535. I can remember when 2 motels and the Kent ISD office were the only buildings at 28th and EBL/Broadmoor. 28th from Division to I-96 was a 2 lane gravel road in 1957 widened in 1964 IIRC.

The airport orientation made sense to have the terminal between the 2 E-W main runways. As Walker pointed out there 44th curved into Kraft with the terminal on the curve. 

I talked to an acquaintance at GRFIA. He says access to 36th Street is not on any long range plan but that doesn't mean it couldn't added. If you look at land ownership, they control / own all the land from the terminal to the interchange except for the RR ROW. The RR will allow a bridge over or more practical a RR bridge over the highway. The land at the interchange is available for development but the land can only be leased, not purchased.

The control tower is in very good shape, the equipment up graded etc. The driver for a new tower is the next parking hi-rise facility which will block the tower's view of the entire airfield. The existing tower will be too short.

56 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

I was around too, just not old enough to get out that way. But I have  access to the road records that show 44th, 36th and Patterson were gravel roads until the airport was under construction.  You have to keep in mind the I-96 traffic count beyond Whitneyville when it opened was 2500 cars / day, today, 51,535. I can remember when 2 motels and the Kent ISD office were the only buildings at 28th and EBL/Broadmoor. 28th from Division to I-96 was a 2 lane gravel road in 1957 widened in 1964 IIRC.

The airport orientation made sense to have the terminal between the 2 E-W main runways. As Walker pointed out there 44th curved into Kraft with the terminal on the curve. 

I talked to an acquaintance at GRFIA. He says access to 36th Street is not on any long range plan but that doesn't mean it couldn't added. If you look at land ownership, they control / own all the land from the terminal to the interchange except for the RR ROW. The RR will allow a bridge over or more practical a RR bridge over the highway. The land at the interchange is available for development but the land can only be leased, not purchased.

The control tower is in very good shape, the equipment up graded etc. The driver for a new tower is the next parking hi-rise facility which will block the tower's view of the entire airfield. The existing tower will be too short.

Interesting stuff. With all the exciting things in the new 20 year plan, I almost overlooked the plan to add a much bigger north runway to the north of the existing GA runway so it wouldn’t even make sense to put a tunnel in until that is constructed anyways.   I just hope they wouldn’t build anything in the way to prohibit that from happening in the future. 

As for the control tower it’s also mentioned that at over 50 years old, it’s the second oldest control tower in operation out of the top 100 largest airports in the country.  I find it hard to believe that it’s in great condition. Both Traverse city and Kalamazoo have recently replaced their ATCT with newer larger ones 

16 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

As for the control tower it’s also mentioned that at over 50 years old, it’s the second oldest control tower in operation out of the top 100 largest airports in the country.  I find it hard to believe that it’s in great condition. Both Traverse city and Kalamazoo have recently replaced their ATCT with newer larger ones 

It’s also interesting that it’s not tall enough to see over the parking ramp, which leaves part of the top level without a roof. Definitely seems like a new tower is in order. 

Also, thinking about future expansion, the West Michigan Aviation Academy seems like a cool program, but doesn’t it seem like it’s smack dab in the middle of future expansion plans?

Joe

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

I hate to belabor the point but I think if there was direct access to the airport from the 36th exit, it would make all of that land they're looking to lease WAYY more attractive. I could see a dozen hotels alone plopping down in that area, not to mention restaurants, gas stations, and I bet some of the car rental companies would move over there (even if the land has to be leased). 

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I hate to belabor the point but I think if there was direct access to the airport from the 36th exit, it would make all of that land they're looking to lease WAYY more attractive. I could see a dozen hotels alone plopping down in that area, not to mention restaurants, gas stations, and I bet some of the car rental companies would move over there (even if the land has to be leased). 

This :D  I’m one of those people with a direct 36th st connection on my wish list as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:51 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Says he's pursuing something in the "public sector." Could it have to do with this:

http://www.grr.org/PDFs/NRs/nrGillACI-NA0518.pdf

I think "public sector" might have been a typo.  The PR release from the airport says "private sector"

GRR: Leadership Transition Gill 113018

public or private, the cynic in me just reads the release as boilerplate for someone they've let go and who now will be looking for a job.

Edited by walker

53 minutes ago, walker said:

I think "public sector" might have been a typo.  The PR release from the airport says "private sector"

GRR: Leadership Transition Gill 113018

public or private, the cynic in me just reads the release as boilerplate for someone they've let go and now will be looking for a job.

That’s that way I read it. He’ll advise them as they search for a new CEO, or until he finds another job. I wondered if anyone had heard about internal friction. He seemed highly regarded when they brought him on board and the airport is expetiencing huge growth with a lot of complex projects going on/recently completed. Seems like there’s more to this story. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, jdkacz said:

https://www.grbj.com/articles/92145-ford-airport-celebrating-milestone-3-million-passengers

i missed this by about a week. Nice milestone to hit before the year end.

Does anyone have a table that shows the current ranking of US airports, and where GRR falls on that now? 

https://www.bts.gov/topics/airlines-and-airports-0

You can find some here.^  But they do the single enplanement numbers which look different than what we are used to seeing be reported.   ACI used to publish a bunch of good numbers to look at, but they put them all behind a paywall, and now you can really only find the numbers for the 10 busiest in the world(which is worthless if you want to see where GRR sits).  

GRR was the 77th busiest airport in the country according to the stats they list for 2017.  But I think if you look at the bigger numbers it was 80/81.  It was poised to pass Buffalo and get real close to Louisvilles numbers this year. 

On 12/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, MJLO said:

https://www.bts.gov/topics/airlines-and-airports-0

You can find some here.^  But they do the single enplanement numbers which look different than what we are used to seeing be reported.   ACI used to publish a bunch of good numbers to look at, but they put them all behind a paywall, and now you can really only find the numbers for the 10 busiest in the world(which is worthless if you want to see where GRR sits).  

GRR was the 77th busiest airport in the country according to the stats they list for 2017.  But I think if you look at the bigger numbers it was 80/81.  It was poised to pass Buffalo and get real close to Louisvilles numbers this year. 

Makes sense. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

$5 million of the $115 million state grants will be going to GRR for the construction of a "U.S. Customs and Border Protection federal inspection station"

Really excited to see this happen. They mention demand for Cancun and Punta Cana in the DR, although I really would love to see some flights to Canada as well (Montreal especially).

• Like 3

On 12/3/2018 at 9:43 AM, joeDowntown said:

CEO resigns. Anyone know the story behind the story on this one?

https://www.grbj.com/articles/92137-ford-airport-ceo-steps-down

Joe

Well, WOODTV is looking into it:

WOODTV: airport ceos resignation includes big payday

While I have to admit I'm curious, I wonder if this is anyone's business but the parties involved. 

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

$5 million of the $115 million state grants will be going to GRR for the construction of a "U.S. Customs and Border Protection federal inspection station"

Really excited to see this happen. They mention demand for Cancun and Punta Cana in the DR, although I really would love to see some flights to Canada as well (Montreal especially).

I’m hoping that they can get Copa involved with their recent expansions in Panama. Having a direct flight to Panama would make traveling to South America way less expensive.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, Pattmost20 said:

Doubt there would be enough demand for Montreal or panama/South America as mentioned unless there are strong business connections, although Toronto seems like it should come back considering it had decent amount of passengers in the years they had it. With this and more fuel efficient smaller longhaul planes coming into the fleet like the Dreamliner, I could see it paving the way for a European flight like Amsterdam or London 10 years or so down the road

15 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Doubt there would be enough demand for Montreal or panama/South America as mentioned unless there are strong business connections, although Toronto seems like it should come back considering it had decent amount of passengers in the years they had it.

Toronto's other airport in Hamilton (1/2 hour drive closer) has seen rapid expansion because of deep discounter Swoop Air.  Fares are already pretty cheap and with the Canadian dollar trading around 80 cents US you have to wonder if they're already poaching some Detroit residents.

3 hour drive to Chicago to catch a flight is one thing, 4:45 to Hamilton pushes the envelope for GR residents.

https://www.flyswoop.com/

Edited by arcturus

47 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Toronto's other airport in Hamilton (1/2 hour drive closer) has seen rapid expansion because of deep discounter Swoop Air.  Fares are already pretty cheap and with the Canadian dollar trading around 80 cents US you have to wonder if they're already poaching some Detroit residents.

3 hour drive to Chicago to catch a flight is one thing, 4:45 to Hamilton pushes the envelope for GR residents.

https://www.flyswoop.com/

Everyone I know locally who has been to Europe in the last few years with families says to drive to Toronto and fly from there. The savings are tremendous, in the $1000's of dollars. Book a hotel for when you get back though so you don't have to make the drive back to GR after a long flight. If it's just two people the savings is probably negligible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Everyone I know locally who has been to Europe in the last few years with families says to drive to Toronto and fly from there. The savings are tremendous, in the $1000's of dollars. Book a hotel for when you get back though so you don't have to make the drive back to GR after a long flight. If it's just two people the savings is probably negligible. 

In 2016 we drove to Toronto for our flight to Rome. Saved the 2 of us around $450 on flights. We only had to pay about $100 for and Airbnb and parking for 2 weeks was about $100 as well.

With the budget European airlines coming to Chicago, even the regular airlines are getting sub $600 to London now, not sure if Toronto would be worth it anymore.

18 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

In 2016 we drove to Toronto for our flight to Rome. Saved the 2 of us around $450 on flights. We only had to pay about $100 for and Airbnb and parking for 2 weeks was about $100 as well.

With the budget European airlines coming to Chicago, even the regular airlines are getting sub $600 to London now, not sure if Toronto would be worth it anymore.

A friend who just went last Summer, family of four, saved $350/ticket flying out of Toronto to Frankfurt Germany, instead of DTW or ORD. Like you, AirBNB'd when they got back (not when they flew out). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...