Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

I was told from a friend of mine, who was told from an airline executive, that JetBlue and Southwest Airlines have been and are currently looking at coming to GRR. JetBlue said that if they came to GR the gate fees would be as high as LGA, and Southwest said that if they came it would be the highest gate fees they pay in the entire country. He also was told that GRR is looking at adding some gates to lower the fees. We'll see what happens. :thumbsup:

I was told from a friend of mine, who was told from an airline executive, that JetBlue and Southwest Airlines have been and are currently looking at coming to GRR. JetBlue said that if they came to GR the gate fees would be as high as LGA, and Southwest said that if they came it would be the highest gate fees they pay in the entire country. He also was told that GRR is looking at adding some gates to lower the fees. We'll see what happens. :thumbsup:

GRR isn't subsidized by mils like many other smaller airports are, but I still thought GRR had low landing fees, maybe thats why the gate fee is so high, to offset the landing fee.

"GFIA is managed and operated by an Executive Staff comprising the Aeronautics Director, Deputy Aeronautics Director, a management team representative of the airport's primary functional areas, and a 120+ member Department of Aeronautics staff. The airport is financially self-supporting and requires no funding from property taxes, general funds, or special taxes. Airport operations and improvements generate local net airport revenue, rather than consume valuable tax dollars."

And why would adding gates lower the fee? It's not like they don't have enough gates. If you go there at any given time, there are 10-12 gates wide open.

Edited by NorthEnder

In trying to find info about service expansion, i found this article.

http://www.rstack.com/citytrans/citytrans.html

I think it's old, but there are no dates on it, kind of interesting to see someone's viewpoint on expansion.

This would be really cool, but it must be a little old since US Airways doesn't serve GRR anymore and there were a few other things that gave away its age. Even so, I think GR could really benefit from a low cost carrier. And given how GR area residents often support home-grown business, it seems to me this would have a reasonable chance of success. In time it could even turn GRR into a small hub for City Trans airlines.

• 4 weeks later...

Allot has changed since then. That's for sure. I like the shot of the interior space shown in that document.

I wasn't sure which thread was the best place for this post, but I thought this was interesting. Sorry about it being sideways.

insidedavermanairport.jpg

Edited by tamias6

I was just at the airport this afternoon and ramp construction has not started. So far, I think all that has been done is the construction of additional out-lying surface lots (along the airport boulevard) and construction of new service facilities for the car rental agencies. From my understanding those things needed to be done in preparation for the ramp. I haven't heard any announcements about groundbreaking for the ramp.

So what ever happened to the on-site fred harvey hotel? A few things I thought GRR lacks that some other airports of size have is a parking ramp, an on site hotel or adjacent ( nearest one is over 2 miles away) and direct freeway access (have to make 2 or more turns at lights as is) Hopefully all of those will soon be here

So what ever happened to the on-site fred harvey hotel? A few things I thought GRR lacks that some other airports of size have is a parking ramp, an on site hotel or adjacent ( nearest one is over 2 miles away) and direct freeway access (have to make 2 or more turns at lights as is) Hopefully all of those will soon be here

Hotel is long gone, the site is a long term parking lot. Right turn direct access was lost when Kraft Ave. was cut off from the airport years ago for the north general aviation runway. M-6 wasn't given direct access either :( . The grades for the new 36th Street extension and interchange were checked to see if direct access was possible under the railroad tracks (it is) but don't hold your breath.

• 1 month later...

Ramp construction update

If the Kent County Board gives final approval next week, construction will start in September or October of this year and be finished in 2009. I'd like to see the video that they're talking about.

I think it's nice that they're updating the facade, and building a giant parking ramp, but our airport is still a sad, depressing, looking airport.

We need to upgrade the old terminal (B?) and subsidize airfare, so people don't drive to DTW, or ORD to fly out.

Edited by NorthEnder

I think it's nice that they're updating the facade, and building a giant parking ramp, but our airport is still a sad, depressing, looking airport.

We need to upgrade the old terminal (B?) and subsidize airfare, so people don't drive to DTW, or ORD to fly out.

Yes - driving 2 hours to Detroit to get cheaper airfare is annoying. Most flights out of GRR seem to have a layover. (Unless you're flying to Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, other hubs). I wish there were more direct flights out of GRR. Heck, I'm driving to Detroit Tuesday to catch a flight Wednesday morning to Mexico. Saved me about $500.

Yes - driving 2 hours to Detroit to get cheaper airfare is annoying. Most flights out of GRR seem to have a layover. (Unless you're flying to Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, other hubs). I wish there were more direct flights out of GRR. Heck, I'm driving to Detroit Tuesday to catch a flight Wednesday morning to Mexico. Saved me about $500.

I don't even care about the lay overs, I just wish they could make the prices more competitive, and it seems like the only way to do that is what most regional airports do, subsidize the airport.

Somewhere in this thread it says GRR has some of the highest gate fees in the country. There's no incentive for airlines to expand service here if the prices to land are outrageous, and people are more than willing to drive to DTW to fly out, to save $500.

The chamber was working with local business leaders to work on a plan to reduce airfair, and get a low cost carrier in, but it has been put on the back burner.

I got tickets to San Francisco for 299 round trip out of Grand Rapids. Here to Chicago and a 1 hour lay over to get on a new plane then off to San Francisco. 6.5 hour trip all together. I will take that! I paid 350 round trip to go from Grand Rapids to Minneapolis to Houghton Mi and the flight to about as long one time.

I got tickets to San Francisco for 299 round trip out of Grand Rapids. Here to Chicago and a 1 hour lay over to get on a new plane then off to San Francisco. 6.5 hour trip all together. I will take that! I paid 350 round trip to go from Grand Rapids to Minneapolis to Houghton Mi and the flight to about as long one time.

How long ago was this?!?

I've seen the video they're talking about, and it's VERY cool (complete with inspiring "Chariots of Fire" music). If those plans get finalized, it will definitely be a huge asset to GR.

I'll check to see if I'm allowed to upload it to youtube or elsewhere...unless anyone wants to host a 200mb video!