Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

48 minutes ago, walker said:

'As an “origination and destination” airport, GRR now has more aircraft that end their trips and park overnight in Grand Rapids than it does gates.'

Dropped a few off for early morning flights recently and it's quite the sight to see all the planes parked there.

4 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

Didn't they just finish renovating the concourses?  

Yes, but that was to modernize what they already had, combine security, prepare for growth, make it look less like a podunk airport. ;) 

It looks like they basically fast-tracked the first portion of "Project Elevate".  Great news

Joe

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

'As an “origination and destination” airport, GRR now has more aircraft that end their trips and park overnight in Grand Rapids than it does gates.'

Dropped a few off for early morning flights recently and it's quite the sight to see all the planes parked there.

I've noticed that too! Got in around midnight a few months ago and there were all these sleeping planes there. Tons of them. But the airport was pretty empty. Now it makes sense. 

All good news, shows the airport is actually really planning ahead...mdot could take some notes. Some people may be disappointed with a small airline and regional destinations but could help diversify and continue to drive traffic.....may actually need a moving walkway for concourse A!

• Like 1

I'm just happy to see the airport really actually maturing into something that is becoming a place to kind of brag about compared to other markets our size. It has come a long way from the time when my parents would drive us to what seemed like a tiny place in a sea of rolling farm fields 37 years ago to watch planes land. I have nothing but praise for my last trip in and out of there last year.

I still greedily hope for some sort of rail service between it and DT one day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GR8scott said:

All good news, shows the airport is actually really planning ahead...mdot could take some notes. Some people may be disappointed with a small airline and regional destinations but could help diversify and continue to drive traffic.....may actually need a moving walkway for concourse A!

Do you know how the airport finances most of these improvements? User fees charged to the users ie the airlines. And the airlines pass the cost on to the passengers.  The Gov proposes $0.45 gas tax -  a true user fee - and the republicans and the vocal  public have a hissy fit.  MDOT and the local highway agencies are forced into a poor excuse of catch up - reactive not proactive like the airport authority.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Do you know how the airport finances most of these improvements? User fees charged to the users ie the airlines. And the airlines pass the cost on to the passengers.  The Gov proposes $0.45 gas tax -  a true user fee - and the republicans and the vocal  public have a hissy fit.  MDOT and the local highway agencies are forced into a poor excuse of catch up - reactive not proactive like the airport authority.

Not trying to get too off topic but how does Indiana have much better roads...yet lower gas tax....and are somehow able to capture more federal funding to convert several roads to interstates? Totally agree on airport being proactive, mdot = reactive. WI same thing, these are states with half the population 

I believe the release said that most of the funding will be coming from Federal grants and such.

Edited by sparky05

3 hours ago, arcturus said:

Did the airport even have ramps back then or was it tarmac strictly?  Buildings didn't need to be very tall if so like many in that era.

No, the concourse was one story ground level.  You walked out a door to your plane.    You couldn't use ramps then with propeller planes although many years later ramps were modified to handle some prop planes.  Pretty sure that's a United DC-6, a piston engine plane.  I remember they were noisy to ride in and had a lot of vibration.  

There is a State aviation fuel tax and a federal aviation fuel tax. Again a user fee collected by the State and federal govt and returned back in the form of grants.  There's no such things as free money. The airlines pay every time a plane lands and takes off. They rent their space from the Airport Authority

• 2 weeks later...