joeDowntown

Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

20 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

They do "float." You can push a jet car 500 mph on salt flats and they never go airborne. The difference with a plane is that the air traveling under the wing goes faster than air traveling over the wing. This difference in air pressure causes the plane to lift (float) off the ground. :)

Oh Jeff my friend, we are going to argue semantics. It's the shape that causes the lift.  It takes a ground speed of 185 mph to get the big silver tube known as a 747 to lift off the ground.  So by Merrian-Webster 185 mph isn't floating.   I'm disagreeing with you all in fun. :silly: I'm always impressed when the turbines wind up and off we go pushed back into the seat back, like wise when they reverse thrust with full flaps tp slow down.

t

image.png.142e8ce165332eb3160f40f8c4fdc70e.png

14 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Oh Jeff my friend, we are going to argue semantics. It's the shape that causes the lift.  It takes a ground speed of 185 mph to get the big silver tube known as a 747 to lift off the ground.  So by Merrian-Webster 185 mph isn't floating.   I'm disagreeing with you all in fun. :silly: I'm always impressed when the turbines wind up and off we go pushed back into the seat back, like wise when they reverse thrust with full flaps tp slow down.

t

image.png.142e8ce165332eb3160f40f8c4fdc70e.png

To drift on or "through." Bingo. :)

Yes, the same principle that causes an airliner to lift (float, lol) is the same principle that causes a sailboat to move forward (wind traveling along the back of the sail travels faster than wind on the front side, causing a pressure difference and force upon the sail). A lot of people, including myself at one time, think that the wind just pushes the sail forward. My FIL was a competitive sailor. :)

Anyway, back to the airport. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

To drift on or "through." Bingo. :)

Yes, the same principle that causes an airliner to lift (float, lol) is the same principle that causes a sailboat to move forward (wind traveling along the back of the sail travels faster than wind on the front side, causing a pressure difference and force upon the sail). A lot of people, including myself at one time, think that the wind just pushes the sail forward. My FIL was a competitive sailor. :)

Anyway, back to the airport. 

3mbfhm.jpg.9a569e3b2a5a7d047660d291c6ffe3bf.jpg

• Haha 4

On 1/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, mielsonwheels said:

:tw_grimace:

So then, how are planes able to fly upside down?  Bernoulli’s theorem is actually flawed or incomplete.  There is great disagreement over the actual source of “lift”.

36 minutes ago, wingbert said:

So then, how are planes able to fly upside down?  Bernoulli’s theorem is actually flawed or incomplete.  There is great disagreement over the actual source of “lift”.

I read the plan has to have a positive angle of attack so it deflects air downward 

3 hours ago, wingbert said:

Apparently planes that fly upside down have symmetrical wings, and use "angle of attack" to provide the physics that give lift.   ie, you can't fly a Boeing 737 upside down. 

4 hours ago, wingbert said:

There are only two reasons to ever fly upside-down: (1) When your Pepsi bottle gets stuck and (2) when you need to flip the bird to the Soviets. Other than that, this is irrelevant.

• Haha 1