Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

18 hours ago, Hoeks said:

Progress of GRR concourse A today.   

aiport 1.jpg

airport2.jpg

I had to go to the airport yesterday to sign up for TSA precheck and I saw that view of the expansion. Looks really cool when you're coming into the airport campus. And that's only one of four "sloped" skylight ceilings to come. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, walker said:

Grand Rapids businesses are lobbying the government to replace the control tower:

WOODTV: GR businesses appeal for replacement air control tower

I didn't really think about the sightlines over the parking garage and not being able to expand parking any more (until a new tower is built). Interesting. The airport may have to start opening "economy lots" out on 36th Street and start shuttling people to the airport. That tower is going to take years to build. 

We flew out of GRR last Thursday late afternoon and I could not get over how busy concourse A was. And all the jets coming and going. 

Probably a good thing that theres some outside pressure to update the control tower as its been talked about for years now. I vividly remember reading somewhere I think its the 2nd or3rd oldest in use of any similar or larger sized airport? The new site on the other side of the airport should make it more visible to i96 and Im sure it would be taller, but I hope they put a little money into making it "iconic" or at least unique. Cool example is at Dayton th?id=OIP.kPMhJXOa7ahIf1RXxviGnQHaJ4&pid=Api&P=0&w=130&h=174

I think their ultimate goal is to separate arrivals and departures up/down like most major airports, which would mean building above the current terminal.  I believe the current tower is a structural impediment to this.   I’m not sure it could stay for historic/observational purposes.   TBH I wouldn’t mourn the loss of it, as i personally find it hideous like most structures it’s era.

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

I think their ultimate goal is to separate arrivals and departures up/down like most major airports, which would mean building above the current terminal.  I believe the current tower is a structural impediment to this.   I’m not sure it could stay for historic/observational purposes.   TBH I wouldn’t mourn the loss of it, as i personally find it hideous like most structures it’s era.

I believe they already have a spot picked out for the new tower, out by the Fed Ex hanger. It's on the GVMC master plan circled in green:

155607271_airtraffictower.thumb.jpg.ff4a

I believe they already prepped the new site and have an interior layout however no released plans of the exterior height/finish, I'm sure it will be taller as even the newer ones in traverse city and kalamazoo are taller than GRR.

As for the old tower, one airport that comes to mind is Tucson. The old tower there is still standing as its connected to the old terminal. Its got a southwest retro look. Ive been there at night and its got cool lighting. Since the old GRR is connected to the terminal, it seems like it may not be worth dismantling at least at this time unless they do major reconstruction to that part of the terminal. For the time being, It would be cool if they can turn that into a public space of some sort and on the outside add lights or an art piece. 

cb07cc577ebd880129e192f61ffb76bc.jpg

57e5c4e094b45.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1504

563d4fab0f78b.image.jpg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Had a flight this am and WOW!! This project is huge. You can  really start to see it peaking out from different parts around the airport. 

Is all the metal framing done? I'll be there in a couple of weeks, looking forward to seeing the progress. 

10 minutes ago, Hoeks said:

2 weeks ago at takeoff.   Helps with a comparison vs the old portion of A, and the B terminal.  I was also there on Monday, and it looked like a few glass panels were up, where the addition meets the old.   And lots of passenger traffic in both A and B.  

image.thumb.jpeg.06a77c03506c0cdc1858f3439bc2c891.jpeg

That's it then, 4 sloped roof sections. Dang, it's starting to look like a real airport! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, cstonesparty said:

just saw this today…

http://www.gvmc.org/airport-access-study

I’m glad people are finally looking at other ways to get to the airport, one option talks about direct access to I-96 with a tunnel under the north runway (which will someday be upgraded to full service like the other two)

On 8/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, ChevalierNoir said:

I’m glad people are finally looking at other ways to get to the airport, one option talks about direct access to I-96 with a tunnel under the north runway (which will someday be upgraded to full service like the other two)

Seems long overdue to consider it but better late than never. Some of the alternative concepts seem completely unnecessary such as tunneling under one of the main runways to connect the terminal to Thornapple River Drive as well as adding exits at M-6 and 60th and 48th. None of those would save anyone any time or complexities getting to the terminal whereas connection to I-96 would shave off minutes and several traffic lights/turns between the airport and downtown. If they ever build another north runway (also seems unnecessary in the foreseeable future with 2 existing east-west runways) this could be prepped for that project. Also not sure why they would need to study a shuttle and bike access. 

As for the terminal expansion, I found these details off to the side by security, sorry for the bad quality but looks like there will be an existing "concession" area, a "marche" area and then 6 more "concession areas including what looks like a larger sit-down restaurant/bar area at the end?   Preview attachment IMG-7831.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Winston1206 said:

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know if Allegiant shifted their GRR->EWR route to seasonal? I was looking to go to NY in the winter and it isn't even a destination any more. It looks like they stopped the route as of Sept 6

Ha I've been checking this weekly the past few month. I have family in NY we visit during the holiday/winter but might be going Delta this time. Also Noticed they dont have the > New Orleans flights any longer since 2021. We took that twice to get out of the grey W Mi winter. I messaged GRR about it and they said sometime to the matter of we are waiting for more information on this as well.

Wow! We just flew into the airport yesterday and I'm always impressed with how big the parking garage is (and the giant roof over the pickup/dropoff area). But this is gigantic. 

Interestingly too they show that the current concourse, in addition to being lengthened, is going to be widened from 66 feet to 120 feet. 

image.thumb.png.eae5f41674247aabd7610150c9e7a075.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow! We just flew into the airport yesterday and I'm always impressed with how big the parking garage is (and the giant roof over the pickup/dropoff area). But this is gigantic. 

Interestingly too they show that the current concourse, in addition to being lengthened, is going to be widened from 66 feet to 120 feet. 

image.thumb.png.eae5f41674247aabd7610150c9e7a075.png

image.thumb.png.d747cad94fdd716ed8155c28202095c0.png For aerial visuals. Rough measurements

• Like 1