Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

February traffic up 4.3% from the year previous, up 9.8% YTD.   I'm starting to think January's big jump from the year earlier was an aberration brought on partially by bad weather over the Christmas holidays which pushed traffic into January.  SW Air had some major issues.

https://www.grr.org/hubfs/02-2023 Aviation Activity Report.pdf?hsLang=en

Feb's gains could also be lower due to weather as well.  I'm not up there as much these days so correct me if I'm wrong,  but as I recall Feb wasn't an easy snow month for you all.  That could be the difference between up 4% and up 10% as well. 

Anecdotally,  I was there twice in February/early march  and it was incredibly busy. Think I mentioned before, the only time I’ve been there where I couldn’t park in the main ramp. I wouldn’t say January was a an anomaly. Every plane coming and going looked packed. Maybe they are flying with less planes than pre-covid?

Joe

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Anecdotally,  I was there twice in February/early march  and it was incredibly busy. Think I mentioned before, the only time I’ve been there where I couldn’t park in the main ramp. I wouldn’t say January was a an anomaly. Every plane coming and going looked packed. Maybe they are flying with less planes than pre-covid?

Joe

Flying out in early February, the  main ramp was super full, flights full and airport very busy. That being said, time from parking to people watching at gate = 11 minutes; that's pretty clutch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's almost dead even.  Were there any weather events in March that hampered airport activity?  That can represent  10k+ passenger swing depending on severity.   This winter saw some pretty big snow events, I'm not sure how they weigh into overall traffic numbers.    I think April will be pretty telling. 

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

Passenger traffic for March was slightly down from a year earlier as the trend normalizes from an anomalous January.  Year to date is now up 5.74%.  4 million for the year is looking out of reach.

https://www.grr.org/hubfs/03-2023 Aviation Activity Report.pdf?hsLang=en

And the total number of commercial flights were down 7%. I remember hearing something about there being flight cuts (especially SW) BUT also more larger aircraft now so this makes sense that number of passengers almost even despite 200 less flights or about 6 less per day. There have also been some destinations cut such as DC-Dulles, Jacksonville and New Orleans but hopefully when the new gates open in June that will immediately increase number of destinations and frequencies, especially the seasonal routes, It bothers me that major hub cities like PHX, LAX and MIA are only severed during certain times of the year and places like Vegas are not served daily!

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

If we were to go off of the graphic alone, it almost seems to point to a flight museum. 

Well that would be a let down hahahah.  I'm sure I'm in the minority but I wouldn't give two craps about a flight museum at the airport.   More flights, more airlines, and continued improved infrastructure like an air traffic control tower for grown ups is all I get excited about these days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

In my inbox today - non stop service to LaGuardia on American. 

Yeah, according to this press release from back in December, it starts today:

GRR PRESS RELEASE: american airlines new york

I'm a little surprised they are going forward with this right now since many sources say that flights to all New York airports are being reduced 10% this summer because of a shortage of air traffic controllers:

TRAVELNOIRE: summer-flight-delays-airlines-cut-new-york-flights

On 5/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, BLUESCRUBS said:

The concourse A expansion is looking fantastic!!! I keep hearing they are planning on a partial renovation of concourse B as well. Hoping to hear lots of new flight options in the coming months.

Anything to share on concourse B renovations? It seems like one long term solution would be to mirror whats going on with A and rebuild/expand the whole thing but that would probably be minimum 10+ years out. Hopefully for now they at least add a few more concessions. 

• 2 weeks later...