Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BHCav

Proposed tower: River Watch

34 posts in this topic

This looks nice:) Fits in well with it's neighbors.

Back when this lot was first leveled for development (1988?) a ~45 story office tower was to be built on the site. It was to be a larger version of the building now known as Jacksonville Center.

which one is it? just the left... just the right... both?

i believe so, but the parking lot is still open. fantastic design, it fits right in, from where i work(NAS JAX weather office) it will not only look good, but fill in the gap between Modis/ BOA and Bellsouth

Hey what ever happend to that other proposed building that was to be built in the spot a while back I saw in the FTU.

That is it, just redesigned.

BTW, here is what it looks like in Google Earth...

RiverwatchTower-2.jpg

RiverwatchTower-3.jpg

RiverwatchTower-1.jpg

RiverwatchTower-4.jpg

Is River Watch about the same height as the Bellsouth Tower? If so, then it would really make the skyline more dramatic, but the renderings looks as if its a few tens of feet taller than the old SunTrust Building.

Does anyone have the official figures for the height, etc?

No official numbers yet but here are a few more renderings.

122605_400.jpg

JoeLight-4.jpg

joelight14la.jpg

JoeLight-2.jpg

JoeLight-3.jpg

Interesting how in all the drawings, the MODIS Tower (AKA Independent Life Tower) totally dominates the Northbank of downtown.

Even if a 55 story tower were built on the Northbank, MODIS would most likely still dominate the scene.

Great job with the Google Earth. This tower is going to add greatly to the density of downtown. I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be 5-6 stories taller than the SunTrust.

That will look great in DT. I go to J-town occasionally and I love their down town area. With this new building it will fill a large hole with a cool design. The Modis building is a interesting one indeed. It is instantly recognizable for Jacksonville. The only thing is (and this is not inherantly bad) is that it dominates the area because of its massive width all around. Looks like the DT is coming up though!

Steve

I think you're right tampasteve. It's really not the height of Modis, it's the location at the foot of the glorious Main Street Bridge, and like you said the enormous mass of the building.

Modis Tower is 33 years old these days, and I wonder if it will continue to totally dominate the Jax skyline for another 33.

Its very likely that it will dominate the riverfront skyline view because all of the riverfront lots are being gobbled up. The only remaining ones are around the CSX building.

they should implode their current building. for such a major company, their building looks really bland. Build somethine incredible for that riverfont lot, csx prolly wont move, but if they do, watch out for a fight

I don't think imploding an older tower should be considered when land away or further down the river is available. When excess land is available, imploding an existing tower doesn't make as much sense. Even if a tower is bland, destroying it is a waste and doesn't make much sense for a successful company trying to expand its workforce. Non-super-tall buildings only become truly iconic within the cities they are built. There's no use in destroying their tower to only make a better looking one when they could just build on another lot for even cheaper than the costs of the demolition.

As for RW, I really like this project, it will do well to help tie together the skyline. I can't wait to see Jax's riverfront in just a few years.

csx, ITS REALLY 70'S , and the riverfront location, they should make the most incredible piece of architecture in J-ville with all their assets

This looks like a great project. I like that its mixed use. How many residential units will be in it?

Then they'll just have to build a taller tower to get their views back. ;)