Proposed tower: River Watch

BHCav

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will look great in DT. I go to J-town occasionally and I love their down town area. With this new building it will fill a large hole with a cool design. The Modis building is a interesting one indeed. It is instantly recognizable for Jacksonville. The only thing is (and this is not inherantly bad) is that it dominates the area because of its massive width all around. Looks like the DT is coming up though!

Steve

I think you're right tampasteve. It's really not the height of Modis, it's the location at the foot of the glorious Main Street Bridge, and like you said the enormous mass of the building.

Modis Tower is 33 years old these days, and I wonder if it will continue to totally dominate the Jax skyline for another 33.

I don't think imploding an older tower should be considered when land away or further down the river is available. When excess land is available, imploding an existing tower doesn't make as much sense. Even if a tower is bland, destroying it is a waste and doesn't make much sense for a successful company trying to expand its workforce. Non-super-tall buildings only become truly iconic within the cities they are built. There's no use in destroying their tower to only make a better looking one when they could just build on another lot for even cheaper than the costs of the demolition.

As for RW, I really like this project, it will do well to help tie together the skyline. I can't wait to see Jax's riverfront in just a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived