Orlando Residents Introduce Yourself

sunshine

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
My name is Donnie and my screen name is a combo of my 2 fav bands, "the Cure" and "Depeche Mode" and I live in Orlando. I'm 31 and have lived here my whole life. I grad from Evans High School in '94 and UCF in '00 w/a BA in Interpersonal Communications. I live in Pine Hills with my folks (after living all over metro Orlando) and am saving $$$ for a house. I work in Maitland, so hopefully I'll find something around there. I've been posting on here every once in a while; but I mostly read the posts now. Sometimes I think I'll have something important to say, and that's when I'll chime in.

Hey Every one! I'm 25.....er.....um.... yes... I ment 29 (sigh). I graduated from Winter Park high (GO WILD CATS!!!) in '96. Currently I am a proxy resident of Orlando by way of Knoxville, Tn. (sigh)

I have been accused of "pushing the envelope" on this forum with my sometimes off color remarks....

ussualy against those nay-saying nancies that constantly down Orlando. I bullishly support Downtown Orlando and its cultural life. I also grew up going to FUMCO and am a big supporter of them and thier music program.

AND I love taking photos of Mother nature and buildings....

Here are some from the Smokies (wich I can see from my house).

l_0febb5b90e716622b8ad92ed409e2f6b.jpg

l_928350a6ba2331fd9918b5f0dd4ba543.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
True...but you went there in the relatively "safe" days, before it became similar to "Eastside High" from the movie, "Lean on Me". Having to drop to the floor in the 200 Hall during Summer School due to sudden GUNSHOTS in 1993 was NOT fun...I can only imagine the action going on there now... :o

• 1 month later...

My username is my actual name, Joyce. I'm 21. I was born and raised in Leesburg, FL, which is about an hour outside of Orlando. I moved to Orlando after graduating high school in 2004. I've lived in Kissimme, Metrowest area, Downtown, College Park, and the UCF area. I really only enjoyed living in the downtown/college park area. I was able to live within 5 miles of my job and I would bike to work and back and then drive to school. I'm finishing up my AA at Valencia and will start UCF in the fall for a BA in Public Administration, minoring in Urban/Regional Planning. I found these forums while searching for an internship in Orlando. If anyone knows of a firm looking for interns, get at me.

http://a574.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...f484c2c6b05.jpg

http://a698.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...7ce978bf8c1.jpg

since nobody has said anything yet, welcome to the forum joyce :)

If you're into urban planning there's plenty of very knowledgable people here with lots of information. Main forum is where it's at. As far as soliciting for internships, well I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but this is more of a hobbyist/enthusiast website than a networking website

My username is my actual name, Joyce. I'm 21. I was born and raised in Leesburg, FL, which is about an hour outside of Orlando. I moved to Orlando after graduating high school in 2004. I've lived in Kissimme, Metrowest area, Downtown, College Park, and the UCF area. I really only enjoyed living in the downtown/college park area. I was able to live within 5 miles of my job and I would bike to work and back and then drive to school. I'm finishing up my AA at Valencia and will start UCF in the fall for a BA in Public Administration, minoring in Urban/Regional Planning. I found these forums while searching for an internship in Orlando. If anyone knows of a firm looking for interns, get at me.

http://a574.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...f484c2c6b05.jpg

http://a698.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...7ce978bf8c1.jpg

Welcome!

Don't know of anyone looking for planning interns right now, but maybe you should look in the public sector also with the degree in PA. Learn as much as you can, even CAD if possible. Can't hurt...

Good for you for riding your bike into work. The head of the federal DOT said that bicycles weren't transportation a few weeks ago!

thanks for the info. i plan on taking some cad classes at valencia or scc while i'm at ucf. or maybe just at ucf. i don't know.

but wow, bikes are totally transportation for a large sum of people that work downtown and even by universal. if everyone drove their cars instead of biking traffic would probably be two or three times as bad. what a punk.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a software engineer, but now I am back in school to start a medical career. I hate to say it but engineering sucks. Why do I want to be stuck on a computer all day surrounded by middle aged men and no women in sight? To top it off, I can't really live in downtown Orlando as a software engineer. Where would I work? I would have to drive OUT of downtown to go to my job. So much for the urban lifestyle.

yea, im pursuing an engineering degree, yet the more i learn about the industry, the more i know it's not for me. So while I'm already far enough into my degree to not be able to change, I will probably use my degree as leverage to get into something more "blue collar". Installing/repairing medical equipment is getting pretty big now. Starts around 50k, requires no degree just 5+ years in the electronics field (which i have thanks to the military).

I loathe the idea of being stuck in a cubical all day w/ a bunch of creepy old men. I want to make good $$, but not at the expense of my sanity. It amazes me how many "smart" people get pushed into engineering because everyone says it's where the money is at and how it's the wave of the future. Yet almost all engineers I know hate their job.

Hi! My name is Sherri and I was born in eastern Kentucky. As a child my family moved a lot so I never allowed myself to get too comfotable anywhere I lived. In 1989 I moved to Orlando and for the first time in my life I got comfortable. I love Orlando! I have lived in nearly every corner of Orlando over the years. In 2000 my husband and I bought a home in Avalon Park. I adored Avalon. I wanted to stay there but my hubby got laid off and took a job in the Carolinas. We have been up here since 2003 but I long to move back to Orlando. My husband has no desire to move back to Florida. I hope someday to return.

www.myspace.com/sherri230

Archived