Orlando Residents Introduce Yourself

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a planner here...degree in Geography from FAU. CAD is only really a good thing to have/know if you're doing design. Even as a design-based planner, I mostly use sketchup, photoshop and GIS. My minions do the CAD work, LOL.

In my opinion, GIS is probably much more useful to a planner just starting out. You also better know how to write well.

• 4 weeks later...

Wuzzup? I am an Orlando native and was born in Monterrey Homes off of Lake Barton Road which was a two lane hyw that ended at Colonial and Curry Ford Road. (It is now Semoran Blvd, which derives from a road naming contest in the Sentinel Star (now Orlando Sentinel). The Sem for Seminole County and the oran for Orange county. I was a military brat and traveled a bit but always kept in touch with Orlando due to my mom's parents living here. Lived in California, Germany, and Miami, my dad retired in Orlando while I was in high school. I am a very young 44 years old, don't think we are asking for sexual orientation here, graduated from Colonial High in 1981. Ended up in the Rio Pinar area, left home for the Air Force in 1984 went to Dayton, Ohio for 3 years and Eglin in the Panhandle for 1 year and then returned to Orlando at the age of 25. Always loved Orlando, my favorite city in the world and have always dreamed of Orlando becoming a real city. For newcomers, even if you don't realize it, that has now occured. The trendy Thornton Park neighborhood and the downtown living scene is better than ever and was non existent unitl the 90's. People dressed in black, dining al fresco, etc in what used to be pretty much a white trash neighborhood amazes me. Orlando Pride the past few years amazes me. We have a very liberal little city within our city limits and I love it. I am currently a stock broker and although I want to live downtown, have settled with Metro West right now. I consider it urban, not suburban, it is in the city limits of Orlando and has lots of the same style as the downtown neighborhoods, it is a city neighborhood a pretty stylish. Plus I live at the top of a hill and have a perfect view of the skyline from my back patio and downtown is a 5 minute drive down the 408 and is very close to another new city neighborhood "Millenia" which has drastically changed the fashion scene in Orlando. I consider metro Orlando like another Atlanta, like a huge spiderweb encompassing most of the central part of the state with suburbs all the way to Tampa and Jax. Of course I don't care for the urban sprawl but Orlando is destined if not already second only to Miami as an important city for Florida. Tampa will soon be smaller and Jax will never catch up (Mullet city). So I mainly read through the threads and hope for new pics, etc and also read other competing cities threads like Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta. Orlando is one of the most active, as well as Charlotte. Well, that's me! Hi everybody!

Wuzzup? I am an Orlando native and was born in Monterrey Homes off of Lake Barton Road which was a two lane hyw that ended at Colonial and Curry Ford Road. (It is now Semoran Blvd, which derives from a road naming contest in the Sentinel Star (now Orlando Sentinel). The Sem for Seminole County and the oran for Orange county. I was a military brat and traveled a bit but always kept in touch with Orlando due to my mom's parents living here. Lived in California, Germany, and Miami, my dad retired in Orlando while I was in high school. I am a very young 44 years old, don't think we are asking for sexual orientation here, graduated from Colonial High in 1981. Ended up in the Rio Pinar area, left home for the Air Force in 1984 went to Dayton, Ohio for 3 years and Eglin in the Panhandle for 1 year and then returned to Orlando at the age of 25. Always loved Orlando, my favorite city in the world and have always dreamed of Orlando becoming a real city. For newcomers, even if you don't realize it, that has now occured. The trendy Thornton Park neighborhood and the downtown living scene is better than ever and was non existent unitl the 90's. People dressed in black, dining al fresco, etc in what used to be pretty much a white trash neighborhood amazes me. Orlando Pride the past few years amazes me. We have a very liberal little city within our city limits and I love it. I am currently a stock broker and although I want to live downtown, have settled with Metro West right now. I consider it urban, not suburban, it is in the city limits of Orlando and has lots of the same style as the downtown neighborhoods, it is a city neighborhood a pretty stylish. Plus I live at the top of a hill and have a perfect view of the skyline from my back patio and downtown is a 5 minute drive down the 408 and is very close to another new city neighborhood "Millenia" which has drastically changed the fashion scene in Orlando. I consider metro Orlando like another Atlanta, like a huge spiderweb encompassing most of the central part of the state with suburbs all the way to Tampa and Jax. Of course I don't care for the urban sprawl but Orlando is destined if not already second only to Miami as an important city for Florida. Tampa will soon be smaller and Jax will never catch up (Mullet city). So I mainly read through the threads and hope for new pics, etc and also read other competing cities threads like Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta. Orlando is one of the most active, as well as Charlotte. Well, that's me! Hi everybody!

• 1 month later...

I found this forum while looking for information on downtown condos. I am 27 and grew up in North/Central Jersey. Went to Deltona High school down here and got an apartment & job in Orlando after graduation. I bought a house in Kissimmee last year, but I really don't like it now. I prefer an apartment and like the downtown atmosphere/lifestyle, so I will probably be moving sooner or later back to Orlando. I actually work up by the Florida mall, and my gf in Lake Mary so even though we don't get the "walk to work" downtown bonus, its a good compromise for us both.

I found this forum while looking for information on downtown condos. I am 27 and grew up in North/Central Jersey. Went to Deltona High school down here and got an apartment & job in Orlando after graduation. I bought a house in Kissimmee last year, but I really don't like it now. I prefer an apartment and like the downtown atmosphere/lifestyle, so I will probably be moving sooner or later back to Orlando. I actually work up by the Florida mall, and my gf in Lake Mary so even though we don't get the "walk to work" downtown bonus, its a good compromise for us both.

Archived