Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjbradleynyc

Clarksville, TN Downtown

13 posts in this topic

Clarksville, TN, as most know, is a super-fast growing city. I have not read anything on the root of its phenomenal growth. How is this affecting its downtown? The population of the city now sits at just under 120,000 people, so I'm assuming its downtown is having to adjust to having a downtown suited for a city of 40,000 to a downtown suited for a city closing in on 150,000 people. Does anyone have current pictures of downtown or information on the future (zoning) height of buildings downtown?

Clarksville, TN, as most know, is a super-fast growing city. I have not read anything on the root of its phenomenal growth. How is this affecting its downtown? The population of the city now sits at just under 120,000 people, so I'm assuming its downtown is having to adjust to having a downtown suited for a city of 40,000 to a downtown suited for a city closing in on 150,000 people. Does anyone have current pictures of downtown or information on the future (zoning) height of buildings downtown?

i think that is a great oridnance. that is what made DC so dense and populated, nothing could be taller than the capitol. I honestly think, that over time, downtown will become more dense, people will start to realize (all over the south) that moving back into downtown isnt that bad if an idea, as the oppurtunities it provides.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the information.

I do agree that having ordinances of height restrictions can work in certain medium-sized and small towns. DC is an excellent example.

So the growth of Clarskville is predominantly stemmed by the growth of metro-Nashville? Or are there high-tech/manufacturing industries drawing people to the city? Is it partially Ft Campbell/Land between the Lakes? Or low cost of living? Comparing Clarksville to, for example, Jackson, TN or Johnson City, or even Cleveland, TN--why has Clarksville grown so quickly?

Also, this is an excellent opportunity for Clarksville planning to seize the opportunity and make their downtown an example for the future and other cities. Sounds like this plan is faltering though.

I think Clarksville has long been an independent city from Nashville. Even now, it seems quite far from Nashville. There's not a lot of development between them. It's about 40 miles up I-24 (N--NW).

I think the army post and Austin Peay College (now University) were the biggest engines for growth in the early part of the 20th century. More recently, it's been an attractive magnet for industry and retirees (first from the military and now lots of others). And of course, you mentioned the LBL recreation areas. I believe it still has a very different identity from Nashville, and it's not even included in Nashville's MSA.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the information.

I do agree that having ordinances of height restrictions can work in certain medium-sized and small towns. DC is an excellent example.

So the growth of Clarskville is predominantly stemmed by the growth of metro-Nashville? Or are there high-tech/manufacturing industries drawing people to the city? Is it partially Ft Campbell/Land between the Lakes? Or low cost of living? Comparing Clarksville to, for example, Jackson, TN or Johnson City, or even Cleveland, TN--why has Clarksville grown so quickly?

Also, this is an excellent opportunity for Clarksville planning to seize the opportunity and make their downtown an example for the future and other cities. Sounds like this plan is faltering though.

Falling is right. Clarksville is having a major identity crisis. They still want the small town charm and politics, but also want the progress of a larger city. And with the population topping 140,000 according to recent figures, Clarksville is no longer a small town.

Ans I see Clarksville slowly growing toward Nashville. The problem is...Nashville isn't growing toward us. There hasn't been any significant growth in between OHB and Exit 11 in years. However, I will have to say that the town of Pleasantview is growing well. And with Springfield growing, I could easily see Clarksville combining with them.

Judging from the attitudes of people just making remarks on the newspaper forums in Clarksville, I do not think Clarksville is going to be a futuristic example to anyone. I have not detected a whole of lot of favor for "progress" and "moderninity." They seem to want less congestion, not more - a quiet life as opposed to 'the fast lane.' Some desire a new Convention Center and/or large sporting arena but one will find a tremendous amount of opposition to those kinds of ideas.

As being a native of Murfreesboro, the ONLY NON SUBURB OF NASHVILLE(WERE A SATELLITE CITY), I have to put my 2 cents on Clarksville. For a city of it's size, it well, SUCKS, it has zero to do and the only reason why I go there is to take my mom to buy cheap ass groceries at Fort Campbell. Clarksville is one massive middle-class, military town. If, but never will, Fort Campbell closes, the city will virtually perish, due to the fact it has an economy based on jobs from the post or blue-collar manufacturing. It's location is also hindering it's full potential, if your considering Clarksville as a corporate headquarters, just go the 40 extra miles to downtown Nashville for more of everything. Clarksville may continue to grow, but it really will never be a major spot, it's more the less, the first pit stop for gas on my way to Saint Louis.

^ You make it sound like being middle class, in the military, blue collar, or a factory worker is bad. I'd take a city filled with those types of folks any day of the week, as its those types of people that are the back-bone of America. You are of course entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

I think "sucks" is a tad inflammatory though. Lets not have anymore of that from anyone please. Plenty of other more acceptable adjectives to use.

Clarksville is definately going through a period of change. It can't be run like a small city anymore, but its having a hard time gearing up to handle the issues of growth and economic expansion needed to make it a thriving mid-sized city. I think it will find its way through, people's perceptions will change and elected officials will eventually be given the mandate to do what needs to be done. I think most growing cities go through this stage of awkwardness when folks hold on to what the city used to be and have to adjust to what the city has to become in order to continue to grow and prosper. Its a balancing act keeping everyone happy in regards to how a city develops. A city doesn't have to throw away all is small city charms, however it has to balance those charms and with new charactersitics that enable it be competative with other growing cities for new industries, businesses, and entrepreneurs.

Being in the military, its a lot of fun, easiest way to see the world. yeah, pardon my language, it's just Clarksville is bigger than Murfreesboro, but the boro is more of a large city than C-ville, and it actually has a modern skyline. Clarksville shouldve used the vacant land left cause of the tornado to entice mid-rise to low high rise development, but it's blown by. Not to mention the people that run the city cant find a dang thing to agree on, they basically wait for the next scandal to rock them. The land directly across downtown, build a freckin bridge and build away, that is a major issue, its all on the NE side of the river, nothing across from.

Being in the military, its a lot of fun, easiest way to see the world. yeah, pardon my language, it's just Clarksville is bigger than Murfreesboro, but the boro is more of a large city than C-ville, and it actually has a modern skyline. Clarksville shouldve used the vacant land left cause of the tornado to entice mid-rise to low high rise development, but it's blown by. Not to mention the people that run the city cant find a dang thing to agree on, they basically wait for the next scandal to rock them. The land directly across downtown, build a freckin bridge and build away, that is a major issue, its all on the NE side of the river, nothing across from.

I thought that land should have been developed 70 year's ago even though it has a tendency to flood - haha.