Anderson Joes baseball

GSP Tiger

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I have to agree that "Joes" is a silly name. Maybe there's some history there, but fans of other teams will be thinking "Geez they're lacking in creativity in Anderson".

And if you want to insult the Gamecocks name...could you POSSIBLY be more generic than "Tigers"??? Hmmm...maybe there IS a lack of creativity in the upstate. :)

Clemp.jpg

^ Just to clarify - I think an awful lot of us think the "Joes" idea was really good and the logo is awesome.

Anyway - news today is that ticket sales are going really well. They are on pace to sell out the first two games for a stadium that seats about 2,000 in a new league that's unaffiliated that's really good news. :thumbsup:

I think they are doing this right - although I thought (and still think) that using Memorial Stadium was a mistake. They league is already talking about building their own ballpark. Seems a little premature, but hey, if they've got the money.

I think a civic center site is a good idea, but it's not downtown. In fact, my initial thoughts when they announced was they should locate at the Anderson Sports and Entertainment site (next to the Civic center) by simply upgrading one of the existing fields. All sorts of games are already played there and it's a major traffic area (unlike downtown). Also I think it would help ticket sales tremendously to have them playing in the same location that many of the little league games are being played. What kid wouldn't think it was cool to play on the same field as the pros. :camera:

My other suggestion would be a similar effort downtown. Upgrade one of the Rec Center fields. They also have lots of games there, it is right downtown and the Rec center recently underwent a wonderful renovation!

There is plenty of land both downtown and near the civic center.

• 3 weeks later...

The Joes had their first game tonight. The newspaper article says they actually had a crowd bigger than capacity at Memorial Stadium. That's 2500+. Don't tell the fire marshall! :P

The article also said that over 1000 kids have signed up for some sort of kids promotional. That's pretty awesome and should guarantee continued success.

The real test in Anderson though is will good attendance continue. Anderson is notorious for coming out in droves to see something get started and then getting bored and moving on. Let's hope that's not the case with the Joes!

Archived