Anderson Joes baseball

GSP Tiger

Congratulations to the Joes in their first win, defeating the Aiken Foxhounds 5-4.

Attendance should not be a problem if the team is promoted well, brings much positive involvement, and functions as it should. The numbers should increase as the season forges ahead.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you speaking of the site at North Murray at West Roberts?

If so, it is an excellent site. I figure the recreational center would like to locate to a larger facility, and its location be made into a new stadium.

The second game was a doosey Saturday as the Joes lost for the first time, 11-6.

I am unaware of the actual attendance numbers in the first three games. The first game was sold out with over 2,500.

The quality is good for both professional and college. They are young players advancing their game.

The Joes lost their third game Sunday, their first blowout, falling to the Foxhounds 7-0.

The Joes blow two leads, and make two errors in the tenth inning allowing South Georgia to score four runs as the Peanuts win 8-4. Anderson loses their third straight, falling to 1-3. The game was the Joes' first to go into extra innings. The teams meet again tonight for the second game in the series.

Checking out the Joes schedule, they do not have any additional Sunday home games this season. The only one was this past Sunday against the Foxhounds. There are several Sunday away games coming up.

• 2 months later...

Got to go to a Joes game while in Anderson last week. It was much, much better than I expected. Looked like about 1000 people present and you felt like you were at a quality event the whole time. I'm sure it doesn't measure up to a Drive game, but it was quality entertainment. The baseball was reasonably good. And the Joes seem to be a little better in the second half.

Just as a guage for how things are going - I tried to buy my son (3 yrs old) a T-Shirt in about the 4th inning and they were already sold out! That's a great sign. If they just had a good location - it could really be popular in town.

I did realize why they didn't use the Rec. Center Downtown. The field would be fine. It would be easy to add enough seating. It's the parking that would be a challenge. I still think that or the Entertainment Sports complex would be best for the future.

• 1 month later...

Speculation is rampant about whether the South Coast League will return next year. Spokespeople for the league say 'yes'. They will relocate one of the teams. One of the Florida teams didn't do well. But others did. Anderson exceeded targets for attendance with an average of over 1000 people attending games. :thumbsup:

The team got a lot of good press too with a series of nice articles at the end of the season praising the Joes for great community involvement. It's unusual for an independent league to do so well. So high hopes for another season are well founded. I don't know what the long term chances are though. Independent leagues are hard to sustain.

South Coast League and the Joes will return for a second season. The league has interested in building upon its first season, and stabllizing itself.

The team that will be on the move is the Brandeton (FL) Juice, which struggled to have a home stadium and concluded playing all its games on the road. I wonder if Spartanburg may want them after losing the Stingers to Forest City, North Carolina.

• 4 weeks later...

On South Coast League's site, their current fan poll is "Where would you like to see SCL expand?" Altanta Metro Area, Tallahassee, FL, Spartanburg, SC, Valdosta, GA, or all of the above are the options. The poll does not mean the league will guarantee expansion teams to those localities, but they are great locations for future teams.

I like to see Spartanburg get a team, as it can provide healthy competition with the Joes.

• 2 weeks later...
On South Coast League's site, their current fan poll is "Where would you like to see SCL expand?" Altanta Metro Area, Tallahassee, FL, Spartanburg, SC, Valdosta, GA, or all of the above are the options. The poll does not mean the league will guarantee expansion teams to those localities, but they are great locations for future teams.

I like to see Spartanburg get a team, as it can provide healthy competition with the Joes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived