CA to Nashville - Schools....

scrammy

I am planning to move to the Nashville area in late June 2007 if not earlier with my 6 year old daughter and 65 year old mother. Since I don't know yet where I will be working but imagine it would be in Nashville or Brentwood I need to decide where is best to settle, a daunting task but I think I'm up to the challenge!!!

I am mainly concerned about the public schools - I want my daughter to be at the very best public schools available. We got lucky here in L.A., she is at a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, it is the very best public school in our area (it was sheer luck but I can't go backwards now!). But... I also need to be able to afford to buy a home in that area. I am a single parent supporting my daughter and mother as well as our wonderful 112lb dog, so I've set my sights at finding a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for under $200k. We are very active nature lovers and hope to be fairly near hiking trails and camping areas but still I don't want to spend more than 20-30min commuting to work each day. Is this possible? What areas of Nashville should I research? I've heard Oak Hill & Forest Hills are beautiful (Radnor Lake) but I don't know anything about the quality of the public schools or the price of decent homes. Also, I've heard Hendersonville and Goodletsville are nice too and also near a lake (Old Hickory?), but again, how are the prices of homes and schools there?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't help much with homes but I can with schools.

Unfortunately, the public schools in Nashville are not GREAT...BUT they are good schools if you have good children who want to learn. Every school has problems, but many of the schools, especially depending on neighborhood are good. There is also the option of going with magnet schools (which I did and loved) and that is a very good option, but entry isn't guaranteed.

If you go with the Brentwood area, the public schooling will not be in question as much. I attribute this to a different school system and the area they are placed in contributing to the enrollment.

Having your daughter in elementary school and by settling in a nice neighborhood in Nashville, the elementary schools and middle schools would probably be good options, it just can become a lot more questionable at the high school level. If you go the magnet school route, try for Meigs (middle school) and Hume-Fogg (high school)!

I am planning to move to the Nashville area in late June 2007 if not earlier with my 6 year old daughter and 65 year old mother. Since I don't know yet where I will be working but imagine it would be in Nashville or Brentwood I need to decide where is best to settle, a daunting task but I think I'm up to the challenge!!!

I am mainly concerned about the public schools - I want my daughter to be at the very best public schools available. We got lucky here in L.A., she is at a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, it is the very best public school in our area (it was sheer luck but I can't go backwards now!). But... I also need to be able to afford to buy a home in that area. I am a single parent supporting my daughter and mother as well as our wonderful 112lb dog, so I've set my sights at finding a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for under $200k. We are very active nature lovers and hope to be fairly near hiking trails and camping areas but still I don't want to spend more than 20-30min commuting to work each day. Is this possible? What areas of Nashville should I research? I've heard Oak Hill & Forest Hills are beautiful (Radnor Lake) but I don't know anything about the quality of the public schools or the price of decent homes. Also, I've heard Hendersonville and Goodletsville are nice too and also near a lake (Old Hickory?), but again, how are the prices of homes and schools there?

try the nippers corner area. and in the older neighborhoods of it. that price is going to be very very hard to find in brentwood. my parents just sold their house a few months ago and everything that you were looking for for around $150k. they lived in the mcmurray area (between edmonson pike and nolensville rd). it's abour 10 mins from brentwood and about 10 mins from radnor lake. close to I65 and I24 also, so commuting is pretty easy to anywhere in the city.

Williamson County has incredible schools (Franklin and Bretnwood), but the price of homes is above $200k. You may be able to find a home in the Fairview area of Williamson, but not as nice as Franklin and Brentwood and a little further from DT Nashville. Franklin and Brentwood are only about a 10-20 minute commute, depending upon what part of each of those cities you live in and how close to I-65 you are. Not a lake (other than Radnor Lake) close to Williamson, but great trails nearby and Downtown Franklin is beautiful, quaint and historic.

Sumner County with Hendersonville and goodlettsville is said to have great schools and you may be able to still find a home onder $200k and there is Old Hickory Lake...I'm sure there must be some good trails there, too. Probably a 15-25 minute commute.

Rutherford County is growing fast with really good schools and still affordable housing, though the prices are going up every day. Good investment. Still can find a home under $200k, but you better hurry. Lavergne is about 15-20 minute commute, Smyrna is about 20-25 min commute and Murfreesboro is about a 30-35 minute commute. Percy Priest Lake runs along side Lavergne and into Smyrna. Great trail system and parks in Murfreesboro and Smyrna.

Schools in Sumner County are top notch. In the north, we have some more rural areas than counties like Williamson and for that reason our overall county record may be lower but school districts in Hendersonville and Goodlettsville (Sumner Side) are top-notch and comparable to anything in Williamson County.

Hendersonville stretches over two peninsulas of Old Hickory Lake and has many recreation areas, parks, trails, etc. You are also only a few minutes from Bledsoe State Park in Gallatin. The hills to the north of the city (Beech area) also contain some very affordable subdivisions that often include their own hiking trails and such in the community. The commute from Hendersonville is about 20 minutes in normal traffic. From Goodlettsville it's about the same or less depending on where you are going. Hendersonville, Goodlettsville,and Gallatin (in 2007) all have fast acces to Vietnam Veterans' Blvd which makes commuting easy.

I was looking at property up in Hendersonville just last week and I heard that Indian Lake Elementary is a Blue Ribbon school. It's new and in an area of upper and middle upper end homes. There may be several homes in that school zone that meet your criteria, but the median price around the Island Drive/Cherokee/East Drive/Lake Terrace areas might be your best bet for price. Those homes are b/n 30-40 years old and have the 3-4 bed and 2-3 bath format. Many of them are ranchers.

Regarding Brentwood. Your best bet for price may be on the east side of I-65. There is another Blue Ribbon school there, but I don't recall where it is. Overall, the quality is very good in both cities. There are also some real buys in the East Nashville area, but I'm not sure about the schools. You may look into magnet schools if you opt for Metro Nashville (Davidson).

Also, don't rule out a townhouse. You may find everything you're looking for out in Bellevue. I know very little about Bellevue. It's due west of DT out on I-40.

I was looking at property up in Hendersonville just last week and I heard that Indian Lake Elementary is a Blue Ribbon school. It's new and in an area of upper and middle upper end homes. There may be several homes in that school zone that meet your criteria, but the median price around the Island Drive/Cherokee/East Drive/Lake Terrace areas might be your best bet for price. Those homes are b/n 30-40 years old and have the 3-4 bed and 2-3 bath format. Many of them are ranchers.

Regarding Brentwood. Your best bet for price may be on the east side of I-65. There is another Blue Ribbon school there, but I don't recall where it is. Overall, the quality is very good in both cities. There are also some real buys in the East Nashville area, but I'm not sure about the schools. You may look into magnet schools if you opt for Metro Nashville (Davidson).

Also, don't rule out a townhouse. You may find everything you're looking for out in Bellevue. I know very little about Bellevue. It's due west of DT out on I-40.

Well, my recommendations are more for a person with a child that is going into high school/middle school programs, but they can certainly serve as something for you to keep your eye on...

If you want the very best in school programs, I would recommend either Metro's magnet schools (which are of course not guaranteed for your daughter, it's based on a random lottery system) or a school that has an IB affiliation. IB is the international baccalaureate program and it is kinda like a comprehensive version of AP where your child takes advanced courses that are tied together and graded on an international scale (although I believe a metro school offers introductory instruction at the middle school level). I graduated from the first class of this program in TN and I really have to say that it's prepared me for college extremely well.

If you want more info about the program, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Schools in Sumner County are top notch. In the north, we have some more rural areas than counties like Williamson and for that reason our overall county record may be lower but school districts in Hendersonville and Goodlettsville (Sumner Side) are top-notch and comparable to anything in Williamson County.

Hendersonville stretches over two peninsulas of Old Hickory Lake and has many recreation areas, parks, trails, etc. You are also only a few minutes from Bledsoe State Park in Gallatin. The hills to the north of the city (Beech area) also contain some very affordable subdivisions that often include their own hiking trails and such in the community. The commute from Hendersonville is about 20 minutes in normal traffic. From Goodlettsville it's about the same or less depending on where you are going. Hendersonville, Goodlettsville,and Gallatin (in 2007) all have fast acces to Vietnam Veterans' Blvd which makes commuting easy.

McMurray/Tusculum area is 37211 zip code. I used to live there and it's a really nice area, 60's era ranch homes, lots of big trees but NO SIDEWALKS, very similar to Inglewood in East Nashville and Whitebridge Neighborhood in West Nashville (Whitebridge is way expensive). Prices are still affordable, under 200k. Public schools in the area are probably fine for elementary and middle, but high school, you'll probably want to look into magnet unless you're hell-of progressive and way into your daughter being exposed to all sorts of interesting stuff (to put it gently); in which case you're the man.

Well, it's already been said: Franklin and Brentwood have great schools, but housing prices are invariably greater than $250K. However, Since you're coming from CA, maybe that is a price you would consider affordable.

I have also heard that Rutherford county (Smyrna, Murfreesboro) has good schools - and there is no question about the affordability of housing in that county. And (as has already been said) that county is growing like crazy (which you may or may not think is a good thing).

One other thing to consider: Air Quality. I have always heard Sumner county was the most polluted county in middle tennessee because it is downwind of nashville and some major factories/power plants.

Here's an EPA map [if this link works]:

Map

I think an excellent option would be Spring Hill. Spring Hill is in Southern Williamson County, so you have the amazing school system, and the home prices there are very affordable. Otherwise, Bellevue has decently-priced homes however I'm just not as sure about Metro schools. I would try hard to find something in Williamson County, however, I'm biased as I've lived here my whole life, so I don't know as much about the other communities.

PS Williamson Cty. has 3 Blue Ribbon Schools this year, and we've had others in the past (my eighth grade year, my school, Grassland Middle was awarded the Blue Ribbon Award)

Well, it's already been said: Franklin and Brentwood have great schools, but housing prices are invariably greater than $250K. However, Since you're coming from CA, maybe that is a price you would consider affordable.

I have also heard that Rutherford county (Smyrna, Murfreesboro) has good schools - and there is no question about the affordability of housing in that county. And (as has already been said) that county is growing like crazy (which you may or may not think is a good thing).

One other thing to consider: Air Quality. I have always heard Sumner county was the most polluted county in middle tennessee because it is downwind of nashville and some major factories/power plants.

Here's an EPA map [if this link works]:

Map

can't help much with homes but I can with schools.

Unfortunately, the public schools in Nashville are not GREAT...BUT they are good schools if you have good children who want to learn. Every school has problems, but many of the schools, especially depending on neighborhood are good. There is also the option of going with magnet schools (which I did and loved) and that is a very good option, but entry isn't guaranteed.

If you go with the Brentwood area, the public schooling will not be in question as much. I attribute this to a different school system and the area they are placed in contributing to the enrollment.

Having your daughter in elementary school and by settling in a nice neighborhood in Nashville, the elementary schools and middle schools would probably be good options, it just can become a lot more questionable at the high school level. If you go the magnet school route, try for Meigs (middle school) and Hume-Fogg (high school)!

McMurray/Tusculum area is 37211 zip code. I used to live there and it's a really nice area, 60's era ranch homes, lots of big trees but NO SIDEWALKS, very similar to Inglewood in East Nashville and Whitebridge Neighborhood in West Nashville (Whitebridge is way expensive). Prices are still affordable, under 200k. Public schools in the area are probably fine for elementary and middle, but high school, you'll probably want to look into magnet unless you're hell-of progressive and way into your daughter being exposed to all sorts of interesting stuff (to put it gently); in which case you're the man.

Hillsboro and hunter's lane high school have the IB programs in Metro. I would say hillsboro high is the better of the two although both schools have some pretty rough elements (heck, even Franklin High school where I went had some, you can't totally escape it in high school). The thing is, if you do a focused program like IB, you kinda hang with smart folks cause that's who you're always in classes (and usually similar activities) with.

I really don't know much about the suburban high schools outside of Williamson county, but most of the ones in Williamson are top-notch (with the possible exceptions of page and fairview). The only problem on that front is finding a house at your price-point, lol.

the high school wasn't too bad. i went to overton when i lived there in 37211. about 1500-1700 students. i got jumped in the parking lot once though. other than that, it's really not that bad. excellent music program (yes, i was a "band nerd" as they say). overton is an interesting school. it has pretty much every class level attending there. from antioch to franklin road, you'll meet all walks of life there.

Hillsboro and hunter's lane high school have the IB programs in Metro. I would say hillsboro high is the better of the two although both schools have some pretty rough elements (heck, even Franklin High school where I went had some, you can't totally escape it in high school). The thing is, if you do a focused program like IB, you kinda hang with smart folks cause that's who you're always in classes (and usually similar activities) with.

I really don't know much about the suburban high schools outside of Williamson county, but most of the ones in Williamson are top-notch (with the possible exceptions of page and fairview). The only problem on that front is finding a house at your price-point, lol.

generally speaking, the students are probably not worried about their safety on campus...metro schools really beefed up security about four years ago.

actually, they even made it so that hume-fogg has to keep all doors locked during the day...I know we are downtown, but still...you couldn't sneak back in school because you had to push the buzzer lol

the magnet school lottery works easily...if you have the grades/test scores (nothing too hard) then you can apply to as many of the magnet schools as you want. Then they do a random drawing for each school and you either get in or get wait listed. A lot of people apply to more than one so that they can choose another if they get wait listed for the first. It is a high demand thing though.

I think all the magnet high schools have feeder schools from magnet middle schools. If you go to Meigs for middle school, you can automatically go to Hume-Fogg (that was my route) without having to go back into the lottery. MLK has middle school and high school and I'm not sure about the others.

Just an option - look at Dickson. Good schools, less crowded city and affordable homes. Very quick drive to Brentwood, Nashville or Franklin.

Hendersonville has great schools as well as Mt. Juliet. Yet another option is Harpeth High School in Kingston Springs (on the way to Dickson). Both Kingston Springs and Dickson are on the western side of the Nashville area - both considered the last frontier of widely available land in the MSA.

Good luck!

Archived