CA to Nashville - Schools....

scrammy

Just an option - look at Dickson. Good schools, less crowded city and affordable homes. Very quick drive to Brentwood, Nashville or Franklin.

Hendersonville has great schools as well as Mt. Juliet. Yet another option is Harpeth High School in Kingston Springs (on the way to Dickson). Both Kingston Springs and Dickson are on the western side of the Nashville area - both considered the last frontier of widely available land in the MSA.

Good luck!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG'ness! You got jumped in the parking lot in High School? That is just awful, I am so sorry!

I went to High School in Northern CA and never once was I afraid of being jumped or anything else for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, a kid can't learn very well if he's worried about safety at his or her school. A safe climate at school is essential, are there any schools in the affordable areas where the kids don't have to worry about their safety?

Dickson's ZIP is 37055. I have no idea about K Springs.

Kingston Springs is becoming the "brentwood of Cheatham County" or at least that is what I hear. Not a bad thing, lots of celebs buy homes and farms in both Dickson and K. Springs just to get away from the city and have a more rural village-like lifestyle.

Dickson and Franklin will soon be connected by 840 so if one were to work in Franklin or Brentwood the drive would be reduced significantly.

Kingston Springs zip is 37082.

There is a mix of housing in Kingston Springs at all prices, but new development is going in at Brentwood (high) prices.

There is not a lot of land available in the area, as most of it is locked up in 1 to 3 acres single housing lots outside the City of KS. The land in southern Cheatham County is rugged and a house often requires a large lot to get proper percolation for a septic tank. But, there still may be a few subdivisions built in the area, as new subdivision regs will allow more density in the buildable area of a tract, while requiring more natural area in the remainder of the lot. Noted, nationally known planner, Randall Arendt, helped us develop these regulations and said they are the best he has seen.

In the City of KS itself, there are some condos being built downtown and some very nice commercial development occurring. There are a couple of bars next to one of the finest restaurants in Middle Tennessee, which attracts many celebrities. The all have sidewalk seating. The currently ongoing Main Street improvement street project will include new sidewalks and make it much more attractive and village like downtown.

There are some beautiful parks below the bluffs of the Harpeth River that accomodate community events, soccer, skateboarding, lease free activity for dogs and adult softball.

And there are a lot of people who are accomplished in the various areas of the entertainment industry. For example, we did a fund raiser for the band and asked parents and neighbors to help out. The show featured acts with three Grammy Awards and others with numerous gold and platinum albums. These people like it here because we don't treat them like celebrities, we treat them like band parents. They fit in. (However, there was a little buzz of excitement when a former Beatle spent a few weeks here a couple of years ago.)

And above all it is a community. We have neighborhood schools that bring parents together and several clubs and organizations that will allow you to get out and meet your neighbors. We have an excellent Community Theater that has a reputation of being one of the best in Middle Tennesee. People get involved in these things and make the town more than an interchange with a bunch of subdivisions around it.

However, the Schools are a little over-rated in my opinion, having graduated three kids from there. It has it's problems and requires constant parental oversight to keep the teachers on track. You may have to go to the Principle's office and jump up and down on her desk (figuratively) to bring there attention to a particular problem. I've had to do that, myself.

Other than that, it's a nice place to live. Jeff Fisher (Titans Coach) would agree. He now lives here.

I'm also living in KS... I didn't know Fisher lived out here. And it looks like he may get to live out here a little bit longer after yesterday's win. :)

The commute's not bad; I go daily from KS to the West End area, and it takes about 30-35 minutes on average when leaving at about 7am... 25 at times where there's no traffic. But an accident on I-40 or US 70 can really mess things up, since those are the only two main thoroughfares into the city (in which case it's nice to know the back roads).

I had a buddy what went to Hillsboro and he wasn't too worried, but I can't speak for all of the students. Just to add, the Hunters Lane and Hillsboro (the IB Metro schools) are non-magnet schools, so those could be options if you were successful or unsuccessful with the magnet lottery.

I did not know that. Are there any other Titans living out there, and how large is the upscale housing (Brentwood style) in the Kingston Springs area?

One more question....How long is the commute from Kingston Springs to downtown Nashville? I'm thinking it's really not all that far.

The south side of Nashville is your best option...

The area where I live (when I'm home from school) has skyrocketed in value, but there are still a lot of areas where you might find a good deal on housing. I don't know a lot about the prices, but I would try to check in the Creve Hall/Granberry areas (both elementary schools that feed into Overton High School).

The best "regular"(comprehensive) high school is Hillsboro, which is naturally in a better part of town. It would be hard to find a house for under 200k, but not impossible. Look in the Glendale area between Green Hills and Oak Hill (around Lealand lane/Granny White Pike near I-440) to find something closer to your price range.

Whoever mentioned the magnet schools is right. Meigs is a very, very good middle school, and Hume Fogg High is one of the best academic high schools in America. I'm not sure how hard it is to get into the magnet system, but it is worth a shot.

Just remember to send your kid to UT after high school. :)

Wow! All this info is great! Thank you all for calming my school safety fears and pointing to the more detailed civic planning info for areas like Kingston Springs.

I have a friend out here in L.A. who consulted a friend of hers that lives in Brentwood, TN - he said Pegram & Kingston are NOT places he would live (he is a self described snob) , that his cleaning ladies lived in Pegram. Boy, what he doesn't know might really help me in my home search! I love how you describe the community and I'm certainly not afraid to jump up and down on anyone's desk if it helps a child (mine or anyone else' for that matter).

We currently live in a great little community with a tremendous amount of parent involvement in the schools here in the West San Fernando Valley (L.A. County, CA), the only problem I can see here is the price homes. Homes like I've been renting since my divorce (3+2 on a 7500 sqft lot) rent for about $2500 monthly (I pay $1895 because we do the maintenance) and sell for between $520-$800k depending on how recently they've been updated. I hope to find a similar community feel near employment where I can thrive, where we can purchase our own home and finally start getting ahead after divorce. My ex-husband moved back home to Chicago so we are free to go wherever we'd like and TN sounds like the place to raise a family with good solid family and community values yet have the culture and influence of a city (Nashville). Am I right? Is there any place else I should consider?

I have friend in Austin, TX but it sounds like homes there, although considerabley less than L.A., are still more expensive than TN.

Thanks again everyone for all your input! ~Pam

Kingston Springs zip is 37082.

There is a mix of housing in Kingston Springs at all prices, but new development is going in at Brentwood (high) prices.

There is not a lot of land available in the area, as most of it is locked up in 1 to 3 acres single housing lots outside the City of KS. The land in southern Cheatham County is rugged and a house often requires a large lot to get proper percolation for a septic tank. But, there still may be a few subdivisions built in the area, as new subdivision regs will allow more density in the buildable area of a tract, while requiring more natural area in the remainder of the lot. Noted, nationally known planner, Randall Arendt, helped us develop these regulations and said they are the best he has seen.

In the City of KS itself, there are some condos being built downtown and some very nice commercial development occurring. There are a couple of bars next to one of the finest restaurants in Middle Tennessee, which attracts many celebrities. The all have sidewalk seating. The currently ongoing Main Street improvement street project will include new sidewalks and make it much more attractive and village like downtown.

There are some beautiful parks below the bluffs of the Harpeth River that accomodate community events, soccer, skateboarding, lease free activity for dogs and adult softball.

And there are a lot of people who are accomplished in the various areas of the entertainment industry. For example, we did a fund raiser for the band and asked parents and neighbors to help out. The show featured acts with three Grammy Awards and others with numerous gold and platinum albums. These people like it here because we don't treat them like celebrities, we treat them like band parents. They fit in. (However, there was a little buzz of excitement when a former Beatle spent a few weeks here a couple of years ago.)

And above all it is a community. We have neighborhood schools that bring parents together and several clubs and organizations that will allow you to get out and meet your neighbors. We have an excellent Community Theater that has a reputation of being one of the best in Middle Tennesee. People get involved in these things and make the town more than an interchange with a bunch of subdivisions around it.

However, the Schools are a little over-rated in my opinion, having graduated three kids from there. It has it's problems and requires constant parental oversight to keep the teachers on track. You may have to go to the Principle's office and jump up and down on her desk (figuratively) to bring there attention to a particular problem. I've had to do that, myself.

Other than that, it's a nice place to live. Jeff Fisher (Titans Coach) would agree. He now lives here.

Electrical costs are very low...TVA is subsidized by the Feds, and they tell us all the time that we have some of the lowest costs of electricity in the country. Gas is typically only available in more expensive, newer homes. Pegram...the Brentwood friend, although a snob, has a grain of truth in what he says. It's pretty country.

Another Plus for Sumner County is that it has its own magnet system. I don't believe any other suburban Nashville county has this. Merrol Hyde Magnet School is located in Hendersonville and has grades K-12. Otherwise, The Best High Schools in Sumner County are Hendersonville, Beech, and Station Camp.

Austin is beautiful, and cool, no doubt about it. It's a different town, texas versus tennessee. It's more of a college town, probably more like California in terms of the culture (this is strictly my opinion, although others have agreed in the past). Nashville is in the south, whereas I would say Austin has more of a western feel. I have always told people that Austin reminds me of california without the pollution. That being said, I think Nashville is the better choice because the climate is more even (not so hot in the summer, and we have a relatively good winter). The prices are a little cheaper in nashville. But really, the two towns are very comparable in many ways, each has slight advantages in other areas. If someone told me tomorrow that I was moving to Austin, I wouldn't be terribly anxious about it.

Murfreesboro, the seat of Rutherford County, is an excellent option. Having Murfreesboro City and Rutherford County Schools receiving tons of accolades, it is a good choice. The home prices are very reasonable for the MSA, rated #1 job growth in the nation all last year, THE ONLY CITY IN TENNESSEE TO MAKE MONEY MAGAZINES 100 BEST PLACES TO LIVE IN THE US. If you want to live near a lake, move to Smyrna, good home prices and it surrounds Percy Priest Lake, a beautiful lake. Rutherford County is breaking away from the rest of the MS, becoming more independent. You can send your child to the city schools for K-6, Rutherford County for 7-12, and then to MTSU for college, without ever leaving the city of Murfreesboro to be exact. The commute time averages from 20 to 30 minutes to downtown Nashville. Rutherford County, a great place to live and I proudly rep as my hom,even being in the Navy and stationed in Jacksonville,FL.

Just an option - look at Dickson. Good schools, less crowded city and affordable homes. Very quick drive to Brentwood, Nashville or Franklin.

Hendersonville has great schools as well as Mt. Juliet. Yet another option is Harpeth High School in Kingston Springs (on the way to Dickson). Both Kingston Springs and Dickson are on the western side of the Nashville area - both considered the last frontier of widely available land in the MSA.

Good luck!

Another Plus for Sumner County is that it has its own magnet system. I don't believe any other suburban Nashville county has this. Merrol Hyde Magnet School is located in Hendersonville and has grades K-12. Otherwise, The Best High Schools in Sumner County are Hendersonville, Beech, and Station Camp.

Archived