Cities of Holland Part 1 of 2

matt

A couple weeks ago, I spent a week in Holland on business travel. I had 2 days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Haarlem, and the rest of the time I was in Rotterdam.

Holland has amazing transit. You can take public transportation nearly anywhere, but even cooler is their use of bicycles. Everywhere I saw a road or train track, there was a bike lane next to it. I don't mean like a part of the road with a white line that says bike lane. I mean a seperate road with traffic lights and all. It helps that there are no hills in Holland, either.

Outside Haarlem Station

DSCN1124.jpg

Many public ways had two lanes of tram in the middle, followed by 1 or 2 lanes on either side for car, followed by a lane on either side for bikes, then finally a sidewalk. BRILLIANT!

DSCN1203.jpg

Streets that couldn't accomidate this many modes simply got rid of cars!

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

Bike garage?

DSCN1251.jpg

Much of Amsterdam had narrow streets, just big enough for a mini, but plenty wide for bikes.

DSCN1236.jpg

All of the bridges that I saw also had bike lanes.

DSCN1189.jpg

Many of the crosswalks in Rotterdam made a constant audible tick (for the visually impaired so you'd know when you were in proximity), and when it was clear to cross, the ticking sped up. BRILLIANT!

DSCN1192.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived