UPS Stupidity...

Neo

This is tracking information for a package I'm receiving today...

Package Progress:

Date Time Location Activity

Apr 2, 2004 5:34 A.M. MONROE, NC, US OUT FOR DELIVERY

5:33 A.M. MONROE, NC, US ARRIVAL SCAN

3:07 A.M. GREENSBORO, NC, US DEPARTURE SCAN

Apr 1, 2004 8:58 P.M. GREENSBORO, NC, US ARRIVAL SCAN

7:25 P.M. CHARLOTTE, NC, US DEPARTURE SCAN

6:59 P.M. CHARLOTTE, NC, US ARRIVAL SCAN

4:55 P.M. WEST COLUMBIA, SC, US DEPARTURE SCAN

12:21 P.M. WEST COLUMBIA, SC, US ARRIVAL SCAN

4:45 A.M. OAKLAND, CA, US DEPARTURE SCAN

12:35 A.M. OAKLAND, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

Mar 31, 2004 11:38 P.M. SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US DEPARTURE SCAN

9:20 P.M. SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US ORIGIN SCAN

8:07 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Check it out, it came from San Francisco then to Columbia, on Charlotte, then way out of the way to Greensboro and finally back to Monroe (a very close Charlotte suburb). I've never understood why UPS has a hub in Columbia and Greensboro. FedEx has a hub in Charlotte so this never happens with them. But I've seen packages I've ordered through UPS stop in Charlotte and then head out to Greensboro and then I have to wait sometimes over a weekend (3 days) to FINALLY get my damn package I ordered. This drives me up a wall so someone please explain to me why they don't put a central hub in Charlotte that can serve NC/SC instead of Greensboro? I honestly would think more packages came to Charlotte than any other city in the area, but perhaps I'm wrong.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

For my business I dumped UPS and switched to FedEx, this one of the reasons. Although I didn't have a big problem like you did getting packages here in Atlanta, since we have a huge distribution center 10 miles from my house and store, my customers complained a lot.

I have had a problem with UPS delivering packages to the wrong house as well.

UPS is simply second grade shipping quality, but you save over FedEx.

I've ordered so many products online over the years, I've never had a problem with FedEx or even the USPS (and everyone knows they don't have a perfect track record).

But I consistently have problems with UPS. I've had a package delivered up the road from here, I've had packages - like your situation - where they came from Chicago to Nashville, then shipped to Knoxville, then started going northward to Kentucky (some center near Lexington I think it was), and by the time it arrived - the product had been banged around so much it was broke (it was a computer monitor I purchased approximately 5 years ago).

Just a couple months ago I ordered a book from Amazon.com, and they delivered it to a neighbor's house, Amazon sent another one and the neighbor didn't get it to me until the other one was already well on its way.

Amazon has a huge distribution warehouse near Lexington, KY. It would have been worth the 2 and a half hour drive just to go up there and get it...

So I'm not happy with UPS either, but its what most business uses, and FedEx, for all its pros, is vastly overpriced many times. This may sound bizzaire, but I'd rather ship with USPS then UPS or pay FedEx their awful rates. It always seems to find its way, even if it takes a while (full week and a half to cross the country).

Guest donaltopablo

UPS is simply second grade shipping quality, but you save over FedEx.

I've yet to find a case where UPS was cheaper than FedEx. I guess it depends on the outlet you use, but as a volume shipper, I'll never use UPS again. FedEx is cheaper and better in everyway. USPS really isn't that bad for shipping, and their express options are way cheaper than FedEx or UPS. But for a regular ground shipment, FedEx with a volume discount actually approaches USPS basic package service.

UPS tends to be cheaper for me. I've never had a problem with them delivering to the wrong house or damaged goods. I know the driver who delivers my goods so that may play in part of why it doesn't go to the wrong address...he comes usually 3 times a week for shipments and FedEx usually about once a week so I'm primarily a UPS guy. It does blow my mind of why they choose the hubs that they do. If it goes through Charlotte and is to be delivered within 20 miles of downtown Charlotte, one would think that it would just stay in Charlotte instead of going to a city over two hours away. But what do I know? LOL!

I've never had a problem with UPS. They've never delivered a package to the wrong house or anything. The way their distribution centers are set up is strange...a package might go halfway across the country when it didn't really need to...I never could figure that out, but they get the packages where they need to go on time.

donalto - I was shipping a computer via FedEx's 2nd day air service some years ago. They wanted to charge $90, and I told them to get the box off the scale, that I was not interested.

Took it to UPS and they charged $50. That is a big difference for the same 2nd day air service.

Maybe it was just the weight/size of my box and the location I was sending it to - Nova Scotia - but the fact is that FedEx was rediculously higher, and on small packages it always costs more.

Its just way overpriced, because I know FedEx is not perfect. I have had friends that have had packages go crazy /w them too. I just never have had that experience.

Archived