I-585

GSP Tiger

Having to visit a friend over on Spartanburg's east side this week, I decided to go in via Interstate 585 from I-85. A few observations and thoughts:

From I-85 to BL-85

Turning right on US-176 and passing the traffic signal, the freeway begins. I noticed a Mile One marker on the shoulder. This is a change from the 20s based on US-176 mileage from the North Carolina state line. Exit numbers in this speficic stretch are currently unnumbered.

From BL-85 to northern terminus

The interchange wish US-221/SC-9 is cocmpletely rebuilt.

Future of I-585

The next mission is extending I-585 to the new I-85. The intersection, a current diamond interchange, would undergo serious reorganization with a series of flyovers and loops (i.e I-85 Exit 42/I-185 Exit 14 A-B; I-85 Exit 70/I-26 Exit 16 A-B).

Southern extension should be considered for growing municipalities of Inman and Boiling Springs with the terminus being at I-26 between US-176 and SC-292.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. i had not noticed the mile marker change. building a freeflow type of interchange with the new 85 will complete the extension of 585. You still have the light there with Fairforest Rd to deal with too. But that is expensive, and I wouldn't expect DOT to actually get around to that for a few years.

Having to visit a friend over on Spartanburg's east side this week, I decided to go in via Interstate 585 from I-85. A few observations and thoughts:

From I-85 to BL-85

Turning right on US-176 and passing the traffic signal, the freeway begins. I noticed a Mile One marker on the shoulder. This is a change from the 20s based on US-176 mileage from the North Carolina state line. Exit numbers in this speficic stretch are currently unnumbered.

From BL-85 to northern terminus

The interchange wish US-221/SC-9 is cocmpletely rebuilt.

Future of I-585

The next mission is extending I-585 to the new I-85. The intersection, a current diamond interchange, would undergo serious reorganization with a series of flyovers and loops (i.e I-85 Exit 42/I-185 Exit 14 A-B; I-85 Exit 70/I-26 Exit 16 A-B).

Southern extension should be considered for growing municipalities of Inman and Boiling Springs with the terminus being at I-26 between US-176 and SC-292.

The other problem is that when you do something like that, you are almost guaranteed that sprawly growth with continue to occur. I would like to see 585 extended as far as Asheville Highway... maybe I-26, but I doubt traffic patters will warrant that anytime soon.

What we need to do is stop widening roads. Force people to live in the congestion that goes hand-in-hand with suburbia. Then start making new connections and not rely so heavily on an arterial heirarchy of roads. Why did we stop building cities? What happened to a grid pattern? Please note that "grid" does not have to mean square blocks that go on forever, just lots of options for driving/walking/biking etc.

Archived