New office building on Market Ave SW

GRDadof3

I hadn't heard about this. Apparently Marceco, a company that sells phone cards and phone services, is going to build a new four story office (HQ) on Market just South of Wealthy. The building that was going to be demolished this week to start construction was apparently destroyed in a fire. The building had been condemned, and the demolition crew had done some preliminary work this past week, which may contributed to the cause of the fire.

That building was ugly. Sorry, no pics.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh so that's what was going on when I was trying to find the intersection last night around 8-8:30PM. ZThere were no flames at that time and it was dark, so all I saw was flashing lights everywhere and cops redirecting me to back where I originally was... forgetting that the Intersection was on Grandville, not Market. I eventually found it though. =]

Interestingly, the afterparty for DJ Dan that night was at the same corner, only a different building. Everybody unknowinlgy parked adjacent to the burnt building.

Ahhh so that's what was going on when I was trying to find the intersection last night around 8-8:30PM. ZThere were no flames at that time and it was dark, so all I saw was flashing lights everywhere and cops redirecting me to back where I originally was... forgetting that the Intersection was on Grandville, not Market. I eventually found it though. =]

Interestingly, the afterparty for DJ Dan that night was at the same corner, only a different building. Everybody unknowinlgy parked adjacent to the burnt building.

actually marceco.com is whats called a squatter page.

Although this is a poor example of one, in most cases they appear as cheesy search engines. a popular version is Typosquatting

but most of the time they look more like flooz.com, (remember flooz? the online wallet that Whoopi Goldberg advertised?, its gone bankrupt, and is now a squatter site)

Wow, that's one pathetic website. I feel the need to do a virus scan after visiting it! :P

Actually, I think this is the company website: http://www.marcecoltd.com/

Much better! From the website:

"The company is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan and distributes prepaid services through approximately 400 retail stores -- including ethnic grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations located throughout the Midwest. Current products include prepaid long distance phone cards and prepaid wireless airtime."

I agree with GRdad. New 4 story building, adding more jobs to or near DT is always a good thing! Hopefully, we can a decent-looking building, built to the street, parking in rear, windows, etc.

As for the website, I say who cares!? There are many great companies out there with little to no "web presence".

Or the guy could have done it himself while for he was one a shoe string budget... Now he's made and it's time to splurge on cool architecture. :) I guess you make a convincing argument. I really don't care how the money gets made, but I like the prospects of a new HQ just outside of Downtown and more people coming in.

Another good example is DJ Scot Project. The guy is known around the world for being one of the greatest and few remaining hard dance dj's, but his site's been completely broken for at least 6 months now.

Although I really don't think we'll see a stunning building from them. I'd guess it'll be something average.

Archived