Rewrite Alabama Constitution?

Owsley9

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, but home rule and mass transit funding is something that everybody needs, not just the Birmingham region.

I think the current state constitution needs to be burned. It gives way too much power to corporations (ie ALFA), the tax system is horrible, mass transit cannot be funded, and if a county wants a sales tax hike, everyone has to vote on it. I don't think there's anything positive about it.

I also don't see why Governor Riley does not want a vote on a constitutional convention. That is the one thing I don't like about him.

Ah, but home rule and mass transit funding is something that everybody needs, not just the Birmingham region.

I think the current state constitution needs to be burned. It gives way too much power to corporations (ie ALFA), the tax system is horrible, mass transit cannot be funded, and if a county wants a sales tax hike, everyone has to vote on it. I don't think there's anything positive about it.

I also don't see why Governor Riley does not want a vote on a constitutional convention. That is the one thing I don't like about him.

Features I'd like to see in a new Alabama constitution:

- a unicameral Legislature, with 100 legislators from districts of equal population, elected every two years

- a system in which Supreme Court justices (and perhaps others) are nominated by the governor, confirmed by the Legislature, and lastly installed for life by popular vote (or, removed from office) at an election for governor not more than 7 years away.

- devolve power to county and local officals on issues of purely local interest, i.e. Home Rule.

- an explicit right to privacy for all Alabama residents

- order of sucession for governor and other state officials

And, although not a constitutional issue,

- privitize liquor distribution, the state should have regulatory and not commercial interests in this sector. Similarly, any future gambling interests should be regulated and taxed - not awarded exclusive franchises.

Well... he always says the old conservative stuff about how "special interest groups" will take over, as if they haven't already and could possibly take over any more. His reply is that the constitution should be reformed amendment-by-amendment, but with the slow pace at which Alabama government moves (due to the 1901 Constitution) as well as the large number of lobbyist-controlled state legislators who benefit from the everything-concentrated-in-Montgomery status quo, any meaningful piece-by-piece reform would likely take 100 years or more to ever reach fruition.

Features I'd like to see in a new Alabama constitution:

- a unicameral Legislature, with 100 legislators from districts of equal population, elected every two years

- a system in which Supreme Court justices (and perhaps others) are nominated by the governor, confirmed by the Legislature, and lastly installed for life by popular vote (or, removed from office) at an election for governor not more than 7 years away.

- devolve power to county and local officals on issues of purely local interest, i.e. Home Rule.

- an explicit right to privacy for all Alabama residents

- order of sucession for governor and other state officials

And, although not a constitutional issue,

- privitize liquor distribution, the state should have regulatory and not commercial interests in this sector. Similarly, any future gambling interests should be regulated and taxed - not awarded exclusive franchises.

Even more reasons for new constitution

Amen to that! A good chunk of the Alabamians would get over their obsession with college footballl and actually worry about some that will actually affect them like the state constitution. The state constitution affects EVERYTHING including what you pay for groceries, utilities, and education for your children. But they want to all the news outlets to have who is the next coach at UA as 1 of the top stories. WTF? Alabamians have some seriously misplaced priorities.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an editoral from the Sunday's Birmingham News that discusses how screwed our state tax system is compared to others in the nation:

A Thousand Miles To Go

I didn't know that Tennessee's was more regressive than ours according to Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama. That answers 1 question that our regressive tax system isn't exactly a true hinderance of rapid state growth. It does offer 1 bright spot that our income tax threshold is now $12,500 up from $4,600. It basically says that we have a long way to go to make our state tax code more fair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI:

Hello all,

I wanted to make sure that you knew about the Birmingham premiere of "It's a Thick Book", the new ACCR Foundation documentary which gives a fresh look at the issues related to the 1901 Alabama Constitution. The film will show in many areas throughout the state next week and will play in Birmingham this Sunday, March 4 at 3pm at Workplay. All shows are free and open to the public.

Please take some time from your busy schedules next week to come watch this entertaining and educational film. We truly need your help spreading the word and hope that you will bring anyone who is interested in learning more about this subject.

A DVD of the film will be released on March 15th and the ACCR Foundation is making that available for free as well. If you are interested in receiving a DVD, please contact Amy Sedlis, the ACCR Foundation Coordinator: [email protected] OR (205) 910-7801.

The film quickly captures the viewer's attention and clearly articulates the reasons why constitutional reform is needed in Alabama. If you have been looking for an opportunity to talk with your friends, colleagues and/or family members about the 1901 Constitution, you should certainly make every effort to see "It's a Thick Book".

Take care,

Mark

------------------------------------------------------Mark Berte, Grassroots Education Director

Alabama Citizens for Constitutional Reform Foundation

P. O. Box 10746

Birmingham, AL 35202

(205) 266-3371

[email protected]

Bills to be introduced to set statewide vote to rewrite constitution

It seems State Representatives Demetrius Newton of Birmingham and Ted Little of Auburn aren't going to give up on this bill to rewrite the state constitutition. I hope and pray that this bill is given a chance this year because we really do need a rewrite of that over-amended document.

I'm hopeful this silly statewide vote in June will be a boost to the constitutional effort, it would be great timing for a pro-convention media blitz, showing Alabamians that their interests are being limited by the state constitution:

Plan could bring 10,000 jobs

In 2004, voters rejected a proposal to hold a convention after opponents argued that it was a veiled attempt to raise taxes and that proponents wanted to remove God from the constitution.

Archived