Rewrite Alabama Constitution?

Owsley9

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there's nothing wrong with a little optimism.

as i get older, though, i see that the 'old heads' are replaced in kind by people from my own generation who share the old agenda. don't think that it's a generational thing. it isn't - people inherit the values they're taught, especially in a place like alabama, where demographics change more slowly than elsewhere (both a blessing and a curse).

I'm not partisan, so I can care less if a person is Democrat or Republican. It is the mentality around here that worries me. I don't have a problem with conservatism in general because I am personally a moderate, but it is the over-and-beyond ultra-conservatism that is way out of hand. Alabama craps on so many opportunities for progress in so many areas because it is beyond their realm of status quo. Too many around here seem to refuse to want to inform themselves on important issues such as our tax code and We should have by now at least rewritten part of a state charter by now instead of dealing with the same ole, same ole with racist language and the whole nine yards. A lot of these very problems are the reasons why Birmingham seems to lag behind other cities of similar size in the South. Nobody (whether it is for business or to live) wants to come to a large city in a state that has racism still written in it state charter among other things.

I'm not partisan, so I can care less if a person is Democrat or Republican. It is the mentality around here that worries me. I don't have a problem with conservatism in general because I am personally a moderate, but it is the over-and-beyond ultra-conservatism that is way out of hand. Alabama craps on so many opportunities for progress in so many areas because it is beyond their realm of status quo. Too many around here seem to refuse to want to inform themselves on important issues such as our tax code and We should have by now at least rewritten part of a state charter by now instead of dealing with the same ole, same ole with racist language and the whole nine yards. A lot of these very problems are the reasons why Birmingham seems to lag behind other cities of similar size in the South. Nobody (whether it is for business or to live) wants to come to a large city in a state that has racism still written in it state charter among other things.

Woob, no offense but what does that really have to do with topic? :blink:

I'm talking about the culture of this state not how BJCC is trying to expand the convention facilities. I'm talking about how double standards and corruption is prevelant in this state's culture.

Woob, no offense but what does that really have to do with topic? :blink:

I'm talking about the culture of this state not how BJCC is trying to expand the convention facilities. I'm talking about how double standards and corruption is prevelant in this state's culture.

Where should I start? How the most of the lobbyist tout about moral issues such as gamble and whatnot but are funded by out-of-state gambling organizations? OR Should I start on how lobbyist like ALFA have a field day in this state in property taxes, but tries to block any kind of tax reform so that only pay like $1.00/acre. OR We have campaigns in this state that have more PAC-to-PAC transfers that you wouldn't know who was fundraising for what or whom because the state ethics law has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. I'm not even stratching the surface, yet.

Trust me, Woob, Alabama makes Louisiana's corruption look like kid's stuff because they haven't been busted by the Fed like them. It's been going on for some many decades that it would take nearly a half a century to just set half the stuff around here a fraction of what is right.

it's not a competition. i've heard people more experienced than i say impressively bad things about corrupt politics in both states. it's been part of our identities, but doesn't have to be. even if the gov't is corrupt, the people in our states don't have to have it burned in their psyches - it becomes a part of the expectations of a culture.

much of what is wrong with our politicians' reluctance to rewrite our constitution is their passivity. there is racist language, sure, but there are also more substantial anitiquated statutes that no politician would actively espouse. the sick beauty of our setup is that no one has to. just as no one here would claim to agree with racist language in the state constitution, no one has to agree that, just because our document is silent on modern contrivances such as PAC-to-PAC transfers, they approve of them. in other words, the built-in passivity of our document allows legislators to always decry the document while benefiting from its omissions, loopholes and contradictions.

when AL legislators did a voice vote to raise their own pay last week by 60 per cent, every story i read on the topic seemed laden with quotes from mostly irate lawmakers who claimed to have voted 'no.' that's the beauty of our system (not with voice votes specifically, but with the lack of clarity in delineating the spirit or purpose of such procedures)...everyone can complain about how they want to reform the bad, but no one has to worry too much about reconciling the position with the deed.

lest it seem as though i'm resentful of the pay hike itself...no. i'm all for a pay raise. AL legislators don't make much. true, they work a relatively brief session, but the work they do is important, and i feel that systematically - and not underhandedly - applying market forces to public service work would change the political game quite a bit. at any rate, i don't believe - as many knee-jerkers do - that we have a realistic shot at getting good, conscientious public servants without rewarding the work they will do. IF they will do it, that is...

Dystopos, thanks for posting that old ad. It's a shame that we've known for decades that our constitution is an abomination, but no attempts to replace it have been successful.

Our counties desperately need home rule and to be freed from having to beg legislators to approve minor local matters (which often include important economic development issues).

We need un-earmarking to keep from having to put our schools in proration every time the economy takes a dip.

Interestingly, the Alabama Republican party platform listed these constitutional reform issues as part of its platform back in the 80's. I'll see if I can dig up a copy.

------------------

Why is this thread not in the general Alabama forum? This is not Birmingham-specific.

Yeah, I'm friends with a slew of "Alabama Republican", a slightly different bred of Republican from the national party, and most of them are pro-constitutional reform. One right off the bat, I know personally is Senator Del Marsh, R-Anniston. I've known the whole Marsh family practically my whole life, and Del used his pro-constitutional reform platform (particularly home rule) to get re-elected twice.

• 4 weeks later...

Constitutional convention bill clears panel

The House bill that will allow voters to hold a referendum to rewrite the state constitution has been approved by a legislative panel in the State House. It will got to the House floor next week for vote.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it I'll pass, so it can go to the Senate. We are 1 step closer to a new state constitution.

Constitutional convention bill clears panel

The House bill that will allow voters to hold a referendum to rewrite the state constitution has been approved by a legislative panel in the State House. It will got to the House floor next week for vote.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it I'll pass, so it can go to the Senate. We are 1 step closer to a new state constitution.

I am all for a new constitution but if this passes and the voters decide to rewrite it we need to get someone outside the state, beyond the corruption, to help or we could end up with something as bad if not worse than what we have now.

• 3 weeks later...

Some people in this state are so stuck on stupid, and that is why Alabama seems to remain so mediocre. :rolleyes: I would love to ask some of these "constituents" what exactly did they hear about this bill that is so bad.

• 9 months later...

A state senate committee passed a constitutional convention bill this session, but senators don't expect it to pass the full senate. A similar bill hasn't moved in the state house this year. Without a governor twisting arms in the legislature, it'll be tough to ever get this done.

Mobile Press-Register: Alabama Constitution

• 9 months later...

Alabama Citizens for Constitutional Reform (ACCR) is putting together a mock constitutional convention in 2009, and is looking for delegates to represent each state house district. The completed draft constitution will be unveiled in August 2009 in Huntsville, where Alabama's first constitution was written in 1819.

ACCR officials note that constitutional convention bills have made gains in the legislature every year since 2005, and the group will continue to push for passage.

For more info, see the mock convention web page: ACCR Mock Convention.

Mock constitutional convention planned for 2009

• 2 months later...

A lawsuit has been filed alleging that the 1901 constitution was never really passed and the plaintiffs want a new vote or a new constitution. Historian Wayne Flynt presented an affidavit saying that voter fraud led to the ratification of the constitution.

This probably isn't going anywhere but at least it's an effort to do something.

Lawsuit questions validity of Alabama Constitution

Archived