Virginia Beach Civic/Government issues

vdogg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Does anyone else have issues with loud, excessive church "bells" (i.e. computerized chimes played through loud speakers) in their neighborhoods? Or, has anyone sucessfully and peacefully gotten a church to alter the duration, volume, or quantity or such "bells"?

We live about 50 feet from a church that plays these "bells" five times a day, everyday, and for over five minutes during four of those cycles. Such playing during services, or even when their congregation is actually there would be totally fine, but not every day, five times a day. I can't hear my television or radio over them, much less think clearly.

Before anyone gets upset about my complaining about a church, I should point out that our house is about as old as the church, meaning we do not live in some new structure put up next to a historic building. Also I have, civily and as a good neighbor, voiced my opinion to the church, and treated, in my opinion, dismissively by the asociate pastor. Any shared experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone else have issues with loud, excessive church "bells" (i.e. computerized chimes played through loud speakers) in their neighborhoods? Or, has anyone sucessfully and peacefully gotten a church to alter the duration, volume, or quantity or such "bells"?

1. Since you don't say where you live, are you talking about a VB church? If so, which one? Have you discussed this with the city?

2. Did this start after you moved in? What times during the day do these go off?

And as far as the red herring about churches not paying taxes, that may be a real rub with you "burt", but absolutely meaningless on this issue. NAS Oceana doesn't pay taxes, many hospitals don't pay taxes, the Port of Virginia doesn't pay taxes, and they all impact their neighbors. Doesn't change the issue, and says plenty about you for bringing it up than it does about the merits of the issue.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about your anti-religious bigotry. If you don't mind other tax exempt nuisances, then there is no other conclusion to come to. At least you are an equal opportunity bigot, and don't just have a problem with Christian churches.

And it is still a red herring as relates to this issue.

Due to the recent uptick in interest and users coming to the site wishing to talk about issues that directly affect their neighborhood, from shore drive preservation to church noise, I've decided to make this hybrid thread. Civic or neighborhood organizations or just plain concerned citizens welcome. I've also merged this thread with the city council thread because usually community problems and city government go hand in hand.

Council deadlocked on how to spend extra money

No surprises here. :rolleyes:

I really like what I see though. :):thumbsup:

Other projects Henley suggested included $320,000 for design work to extend Constitution Drive; $200,000 to design a pedestrian bridge at Town Center; $500,000 for bike trail improvements; and $300,000 for a proposed turn lane on Princess Anne Road.

Only Henley's suggestions were put into the big-screen spreadsheet.

********************************************************************************

I do live in VB. I'd rather not say the name of the church right now because I want to address my concerns with the church one last time in order to be certain of whether they will consider altering the schedule (9am, noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm), volume (to be measured), or duration (up to six minutes three times a day and about 7-8 minutes once a day now that holiday songs have been added). I have discussed with the city that noise level is determined by individuals. There is no legal decibel level, and I would have to call the poilce for noise violations, which I would rather not do as surely they have more pressing matters. I would also, if possible, rather maintain a good, neighborly relationship with the church.

I'm sure the bells have been ringing for awhile (they didn't begin after I moved in); however, I do feel entitled to more peace of mind than this neighbor allows. To me, this is not a religious issue, but a civil one one of noise level and purpose. The bells are rarely played when the congregation is actually there, so whom are they benefitting?

Church bells serve the same purpose as a muezzin calling out the adhan. Basically it serves to remind Christians of the five times a day that they're supposed to pray. This practice is pretty much extinct in today's Christianity. I rather like hearing church bells because it's so infrequent, but I can see your point "Bay Cats". If I lived 50ft. from a church, I would get annoyed quickly.

It's only cool if they are real, and have a good musical range. They should belch out some Nine Inch Nails every once in a while, just to mess with the youth. Even though I think they are responsible for brainwashing youth with mythical fables, that is probably for another discussion.

It's only cool if they are real, and have a good musical range. They should belch out some Nine Inch Nails every once in a while, just to mess with the youth. Even though I think they are responsible for brainwashing youth with mythical fables, that is probably for another discussion.

Exactly, they're not real bells. Additionally, the computerized hymns are not usually played when the Christians, specifically Baptists, who attend that church are actually there (as a congregation - the people who work there and random groups are there at all hours). In that sense (and thank you to the previous poster for the explanation of purpose), they could be seen as infringing upon the religious freedoms of nearby residents, not all of whom are Baptists or even Christians.

Town Hall Meeting, Virginia Beach, December 11th

Okay, since this is the Urban Planet, I'm goings to keeps it real urban. I attended the town hall meeting, looking for some hardcore action... a battle between the have and have nots. I've been to a *FEW* civic functions before, lived in that district for years, and grew up next to it. Some interesting stuff came out of it.

FIRST UP. I forgot to wear the Mr. Housing Bubble tshirt. I was more worried about finding dinner and hitting the restroom after sitting in an hour and 15 minutes of traffic, trying to get there. Serious up, we have issues.

So after getting some MickeyDs and using their restroom, I headed over to Tallwood high school. I was kind of worried that I would be the only one there. I was wrong. The smaller auditorium they started us in was too full, and they moved peeps over to the full auditorium. No PA in either one, so I imagine some people had a hard time hearing things.

I may get some names wrong, because it was a bit hard to hear a few things.

The crowd made me feel like a newborn. Mostly old and white.

Andy Friedman -

Apartments for the homeless proposal

College Park Skating Rink site

Collaboration between cities, outside npo trying to do it, requires taxpayer dolla to startup but from that point on it's supposed to fund itself. Rehab homeless and get em in the workforce.

Didn't listen to directions and took questions even tho she was supposed to wait.

Jeff Miller / Peco Senior citizen apartment complex

"Moderate" priced apartments, starting at $800 on up to $1200.

- People were grunting in disbelief over the costs.. duh, go look at rentals

This point they moved it to the auditorium

The politician type talked more about something. bla bla bla bla blaaaaaaa

Seriously, I was like the youngest dude there

Nizzext was some infoz about a Harris Teeter, a Wawa and other shopping crap in a 10 acre space near Indian River and Ferrel Parkway. Armada Hoffler is reppin' this property. March 07 or so. I think someone asked about traffic but yea... no real answers.

NEXT, Thomas Lehy from Public Utils talked about Stumpy Lake... Dam laws rehabbed now they gotta fix it. They bought it then got pwned when the laws changed. It's a 2500' long dam... I didn't realize the spillway was that big, but perhaps the entire thing. They are going to have to remove the trees, which SUCKS because that is like a childhood memory... I grew up near there. Oh well. For 1 year, Elbow will be down to 1 land between 9am and 3pm.

DAvid Terry reppin' Ocean Properties next. 2 Brothers pushing 192 condos and 67K commercial space, Low 200's to 300s. Near a driving range at Centerville area. 14 acre site, condo association, 1000 - 1500sqft (Small for the money). Had some talk about a colored fountain and a stage where supposidly the residents would hang out and form a drum circle around some colored lights in the water and do magic tricks and perform plays (I'm improvising here). Probably won't work this way, the condos would probably all mostly end up in the hand of speculators renting them out, which will break the whole community idea. There will be elevator in the bigger building.

NEXT UP ... the one I was looking for a battle on...

Renaissance Park.

Wayne Crosby reppin' Sandler

Contract purchase on land (Does this mean it's optioned?)

5000sqft lots (Like, I want a garage that big)

Behind Home Depot

Not nearly finalized and hasn't gone before council

No real action yet :-(

Traffic ... lots of people complaining but no real answers

Workforce housing term was mentioned. Too funny.

Can't read next two notes :-)

Next up was CBN dude.

Huge development, 500 acres, commercial and residential and everytihing.

Want their own exit.

This is well known.

As a group who begged wealth from old ladies during daytime TV, isn't it kind of odd that they are embarking on such huge commercial endevors?

More notes

- No new fire stations to support the growth, but they do rely on chesapeake a bit in a co-op

- 28 vacancies in po-po ... some dude asked why they can't fill, and the cheif gave no real answer. Just talked aobut the training academy. Didn't say "No one wants to work here" or "We don't pay enough to convince people to get shot at and killed by trash."

- Oceanfront station is independantly staffed, and the oceanfront gustapo doesn't suck resources from the rest of the police force.

- Some lady asked about gangs, and said tallwood is known to be one of the most gang infested schools. The reaction was FUNNY. Dude went on to say that all Graffitti in the area isn't all gang related, nor are many of the local gang's reppin the big gangs really connected. The people were dissing the gangs, but of course it's probably THEIR eminim wannabe kids tagging the buildings. I'd like to say that none of them have any skills, like the REAL graff you see at ArtCrimes (www.graffiti.org). Nothing makes me more upset than a crap throw up... if your going to deface property make it good.

Last and least... the taxpayer alliance WAS IN CHECK.

Lots of people griping about traffic. I didn't really get a chance to, but my ideal conversation would be:

"*GASP* THE TRAFFFFFFIC! We need to limit development *GASP"

(me) "YOZ, When did you get here?"

"*GASP* 20 years"

(me) "YOZ, I've been here 30 years. Therefore, you need to GTFO cuz you slow down my stride in my ride"

But it never got there. There were alot of typical women that were all about the we got ours, no one else gets theirs or that they are somehow special and the developers can't rob suckers of wealth pimping overcrowded plots of land. The whole NIMBY thing I guess. Kind of funny to watch. I didn't disrespect cuz it was my first meeting.

The majority was again, old n white.

Some black chick in the back did say something about the "what about the housing for the rest of us" when someone was complaining about the Renaissance park density breaking the rules of the city. I guess she hasn't heard about the housing bubble.

OHH YEA. Oberdorph (spelling) shows up a little while after it started. Someone had to have rung her on the tele and be like "YO, there is an audience... people actually came to our meeting, you gotta get over here." At the end she rambled some jank about jamestown and what not, and really offered nothing useful other than to get in front of the crowd with something...

Most questions were related to stormwater and poop like that.

So that concludes my complete report on the town hall meeting.

:rofl:

DAvid Terry reppin' Ocean Properties next. 2 Brothers pushing 192 condos and 67K commercial space, Low 200's to 300s. Near a driving range at Centerville area. 14 acre site, condo association, 1000 - 1500sqft (Small for the money). Had some talk about a colored fountain and a stage where supposidly the residents would hang out and form a drum circle around some colored lights in the water and do magic tricks and perform plays (I'm improvising here). Probably won't work this way, the condos would probably all mostly end up in the hand of speculators renting them out, which will break the whole community idea. There will be elevator in the bigger building.

This one's going down the street from me. They are currently working on the lynnyhaven extension and it will be at the corner of lynnhaven and centerville. I've seen some of the plans, some dense low to mid rises are planned. we'll have to see how this one plays out. So I guess all that open land behind home depot is spoken for by and extremely suburban development. Like we need anymore congestion in that area. <_<

Archived