Virginia Beach Civic/Government issues

vdogg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have to admit, while I dig urban cities... I miss the trees where town center is. And they are working hard to paint in any green areas of Virginia Beach with houses, which is the developer's right to do so. Seems like a huge, massive, suburb of strip malls wrapping around neighborhoods. A rerun. Much of it older, once nice, but will decay into the future.

And again the pilot posters miss the mark. Constituion Drive Extended is needed and will help pull some traffic away from independence by creating an alternate route around TC. The 6.5 million to replenish the acquisition fund is for acquistion of land around the naval base, not acquisition of land for developers.

Not In My Back Yard.

People who oppose projects sometimes simply for the sake of opposing them or because they don't want a particular type of project, element, etc. in their city. We don't have as big a problem out here with them as they do in places like California, where they are legion. You typically find a lot of height, or development regulations out there because one group or another doesn't want this or that in their city.

What are you talking about? Anaheim is pro development. It wants to be the downtown of Orange County. Hence the 30+ story towers planned for the Platinum Triangle area. Even Irvine is pro-development. Only town in OC that I know that is anti-development is my town of Newport. Some residents tried to ram a revised general plan that would have capped building square footage in neighborhoods to 1 + x of existing amounts. If you wanted to build an addition to your house that pushed the total neighborhood square footage over the limit, you'd have to submit a specific plan to each resident about your project, conduct a traffic study, and put the addition/project to a citywide vote. Thankfully, most people had the sense to vote no. That's an extreme example of NIMBY. Most NIMBY centers around such wonderful things as cell phone towers, which no one wants yet complain about poor reception; freeways, which no one wants cutting through their idyllic town yet complain about traffic; and big box stores such as Wal-mart. Wal-mart was shut out of Inglewood, for example and some cities such as San Diego have enacted laws effectively banning Super Wal-marts (no stores over x sqft can sell fresh produce and meat).

Wow I never knew Anaheim was so pro development. It feels like a resort city to me. Then again i pay most of my attention to the Hampton Roads area being that its my hometown. I work in Huntington Beach and just to take Beach Blvd down from Anaheim to work is a NIGHTMARE. I cant wait for the 22 freeway to be fixed. I guess ill have to pay more attention to Anaheim.

Virginia Beach's population is so much higher than surrounding cities that when compared, the graphical representations are a bit misleading. Use that same site and compare Virginia Beach to Williamsburg. SITE Look at how high the "Rape" bar graph is for Williamsburg. I know it's correct, but it is a little misleading.

I still think when comparing Norfolk crime to Virginia Beach crime, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Of course there is going to be more crime in a more urbanized city (Norfolk), compared to a mostly suburban city (Va.Beach). And I hate to play devil's advocate, but I know someone is going to say that Virginia Beach is not suburban. Towncenter is far from making the city urbanized.

Virginia Beach does have good crime statistics though. I was blown away when I compared Virginia Beach to Chesapeake. Never would I have thought that crime rates were lower in Va. Beach. Good job Virginia Beach cops!!!

And great website mike...

Virginia Beach's population is so much higher than surrounding cities that when compared, the graphical representations are a bit misleading. Use that same site and compare Virginia Beach to Williamsburg. SITE Look at how high the "Rape" bar graph is for Williamsburg. I know it's correct, but it is a little misleading.

I still think when comparing Norfolk crime to Virginia Beach crime, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Of course there is going to be more crime in a more urbanized city (Norfolk), compared to a mostly suburban city (Va.Beach). And I hate to play devil's advocate, but I know someone is going to say that Virginia Beach is not suburban. Towncenter is far from making the city urbanized.

Virginia Beach does have good crime statistics though. I was blown away when I compared Virginia Beach to Chesapeake. Never would I have thought that crime rates were lower in Va. Beach. Good job Virginia Beach cops!!!

And great website mike...

• 3 weeks later...

On January 9th the city council will vote on how to spend the general fund surplus. Items on the expenditure list include $200,00 for the "Town Center Pedestrian Bridge Project", $320, 000 for the "Constitution Drive Extended

Project" and $90,000 to acquire public artwork for the PAC.

Archived