Virginia Beach Civic/Government issues

vdogg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to put the statement in a larger context of assumptions, which were not especially clear in the article. The idea is that there is a relatively fixed market for housing in the city, and that it makes more sense from a transportation perspective to build housing closer to job centers, such as the Newtown, Pembroke and Lynnhaven areas. Otherwise, if housing were to develop south (say in the Transition Area) you would tend to have more people making longer trips, especially as they try to reach I 264 and the Virginia Beach Blvd. corridor. That would be theoretically less desirable, both from traffic and air quality perspectives. Travel demand models would confirm this theory (and they do).

However, the need for better infrastructure is a good point. But as the I-264 corridor becomes denser, some of that infrastructure could include transit and travel demand management options that might not occur otherwise.

********************************************************************************

I do live in VB. I'd rather not say the name of the church right now because I want to address my concerns with the church one last time in order to be certain of whether they will consider altering the schedule (9am, noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm), volume (to be measured), or duration (up to six minutes three times a day and about 7-8 minutes once a day now that holiday songs have been added). I have discussed with the city that noise level is determined by individuals. There is no legal decibel level, and I would have to call the poilce for noise violations, which I would rather not do as surely they have more pressing matters. I would also, if possible, rather maintain a good, neighborly relationship with the church.

I'm sure the bells have been ringing for awhile (they didn't begin after I moved in); however, I do feel entitled to more peace of mind than this neighbor allows. To me, this is not a religious issue, but a civil one one of noise level and purpose. The bells are rarely played when the congregation is actually there, so whom are they benefitting?

Just an update. The church is Bayside Baptist Church, and they, basically, refuse to simply even lower the volume, which is clearly possible. The Associate Pastor also said that if I had God in my life I wouldn't be bothered by the bells. I suppose the Baptist God trumps the Episcopal one in this case :) (Sorry, I KNOW this isn't a religious discussion board but I couldn't resist.)

Last update...I hope.

With police intervention, the church agreed to decrease the volume. It is unfortunate I had to go that route, but we had tried more than once to handle this situation directly. Though the Pastor with whom we had spoken implied there was nothing we could do legally, this was not the case.

p.s. In case it wasn't clear in my initial post, the previously described five-a-day bell cycle runs M-F; the schedules on Saturdays and Sundays vary.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, the only other land is the Pilot and Taco Bell sites but somehow I am thinking this is other parcels. And they also mentioned retail. Hope they are able to pull in some major retail esp to TC but not holding my breath. And I wonder what all consists of TC Phase III? Westin, PAC, Studio 56. Wonder what is next?

Originally posted by pipdo:

City/Navy Memorandum of Understanding:

Didn't really pay much attention to this one, but basically a proposal, which is against the criteria set by the navy for certain zones, can be submitted for review by the navy if the land absolutely has no other reasonable use/density... possibly leading to the proposal being accepted, I'm assuming. Again, I was almost falling asleep after Garfield's loooooong presentation. :P

Virginia Aquarium:

There is a renovation underway which was estimated to cost ~7 million. After putting out a bid, the cheapest the aquarium foundation could get it was for 12M, meaning that they need to get the extra 5 million from the city.

The foundation gave an option of moving funding around...take 4 million from another aquarium (?) project, 750,000 from the lynnhaven/volvo road project, and the rest from somewhere else...I think another aquarium project.

The problem brought up was, as you can probably imagine, the road money. The 750K is excess from the current phase, but, if nothing happens to it, it will be transferred to the next phase. The aquarium wants to use it for its renovation, but this idea was shot down by the council. :thumbsup:

Feel free to move/break up as needed. I posted here mainly because of the Hyatt information, but obviously I just decided to explain everything I could think of :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

In tommorrows city council meeting the cities real estate assessor will deliver his annual report. Knowing that Portsmouth's assessment jumped 16% this year I can only imagine what the Beach will be like. :rolleyes:

Could it be that overall assessments rose even as the number of sales dropped? That would explain some of the lack of responsiveness in the assessment process. There could be a lag in the tendency for prices to decrease because we have a relatively inelastic demand for housing, perhaps due to the war and our many government-related jobs. Just a hypothesis, I haven't seen all the sales data. Can anyone verify this?

Also, if I'm right, our assessment process needs to be evaluated. It isn't fair that property taxes rise in a slowing market, and adjustments should be made based on sale volumes, not just sale prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived